News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What do you consider as an industrial wasteland?

Started by WISFreeways, October 14, 2009, 05:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

okay fellers, to avoid this sort of conflict, and to make the thread one Hell of a lot more interesting.  From now on: pictures.

the oil fields of Taft, California.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 23, 2009, 09:53:40 AM
the oil fields of Taft, California.

I think that simply qualifies as a wasteland, period.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Chris

The suburbs of Paris (well, the social housing burbs)

agentsteel53

Quote from: mightyace on October 23, 2009, 03:51:21 PM

I think that simply qualifies as a wasteland, period.

it is a major oil drilling area... the only decent photo I happened to have was the one of the yellow stop sign, not the endless lines of derricks.

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Quote from: AlpsROADS on October 23, 2009, 07:44:22 AM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 16, 2009, 04:39:28 PM
-all of northeastern New Jersey

Then, no offense, but you're an idiot.  And I would say that to anyone who thinks that.

If you want to know where the industrial wastelands are in NE NJ: Carteret.  Port Newark/Elizabeth aren't so much industrial as heavy commercial.  There's a lot of warehousing near the NJ Turnpike in general.  That's no more than 5% of the total land area of NE NJ and about 1% of the roadscape.

Alright, I'm sorry. It's just that the parts of northeastern NJ look like a wasteland. Jeeze.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

Helpful note: don't denigrate entire regions without considering that people who live there may know better.

xcellntbuy

Those pictures of Parisian suburbs look similar to what is left of the cities near Chernobyl, Ukraine, only the French buildings are inhabited.  Very sad.

getemngo

Quote from: AARoads on October 15, 2009, 12:01:30 PM
I welcome any photos showing Detroit! Ryan sent me a few months ago. Anyone else have any?

You can lose yourself for hours, if not days, at DetroitYES.
~ Sam from Michigan

njroadhorse

NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Brandon

Quote from: Chris on October 23, 2009, 03:58:21 PM
The suburbs of Paris (well, the social housing burbs)

Wow.  Those remind me of the Robert Taylor Homes that used to exist along the Dan Ryan Expressway (I-90/94).  :wow:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jdb1234

Emelle, AL.  Home to the world's largest Hazmat Dump

BigMattFromTexas

I went exploring in the Red Arroyo behind my house, and about half a mile from my house, and I went to a storm drainage culvert and saw all this graffiti.

BigMatt

florida

So many roads...so little time.

Scott5114

Quote from: florida on November 15, 2009, 01:29:23 PM
Times Beach, MO
Centralia, PA

I don't think a resort community for rich people counts an an industrial wasteland, even though it later became a Superfund site and demolished ;)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

florida

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 16, 2009, 11:51:56 PM
Quote from: florida on November 15, 2009, 01:29:23 PM
Times Beach, MO
Centralia, PA

I don't think a resort community for rich people counts an an industrial wasteland, even though it later became a Superfund site and demolished ;)

Not every place can be as poor as Chernobyl  ;-) I didn't even know it was a community for rich people since any pictures I saw were of ratty houses on dirt roads.
So many roads...so little time.

Alex

I think this thread more of reflects urban decay rather than industrial wasteland. The two sort of go hand in hand, but most of the images posted above reflect derelict neighborhoods then industry.

Truvelo

OK, here's one near me which is non-residential. It's a Google streetview image but I go past it nearly every day and it's been in this state for over a year now. The large brick structure to the right is also closed down and metal fencing has been installed over the windows to keep vandals out :-D
Speed limits limit life

Alex

Quote from: Truvelo on November 17, 2009, 01:42:16 PM
OK, here's one near me which is non-residential. It's a Google streetview image but I go past it nearly every day and it's been in this state for over a year now.

Nice example of a shuttered industrial site. My previous comment about urban decay is to not discourage imagery of those examples from being posted. I certainly welcome those, as urban decay is one of my interests overall.

Truvelo

With the current recession and economic crisis there's never been a better time to see examples of closed businesses. A good place at the moment, in the UK anyway, is the High Street. You guys probably call it Main Street. There are plenty of store fronts covered in For Sale and To Let signs. A common feature with closed stores is to cover the windows in a white substance, I assume to stop potential burglars seeing what's inside.

Another thing that's been going on for years is the closing of pubs and gas stations. High taxation is the likely cause of the demise of these. You can buy four cans of beer in a supermarket for the price of a single glass in a pub. With gas stations it's the low profit from fuel that's leading to closures, particularly the independent mom and pop garages that can't compete with the big guys.

I took this picture of a local pub a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if it's still there as many are sold off to be replaced by housing. Closed gas stations also suffer the same fate.

Speed limits limit life

Chris

Check out the thread Brutal New York on the Skyscrapercity forums. It shows pictures of the urban decay in New York City between 1965 and 1995. Some previews:

Hellfighter

yanksfan6129

Quote from: Chris on November 17, 2009, 04:10:36 PM
Check out the thread Brutal New York on the Skyscrapercity forums. It shows pictures of the urban decay in New York City between 1965 and 1995. Some previews:

Now, of course, Chris, New York has been fixed up really well...you can't find places like that in NYC anymore, I'm proud to say!

Chris

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on November 24, 2009, 03:42:12 PM

Now, of course, Chris, New York has been fixed up really well...you can't find places like that in NYC anymore, I'm proud to say!

I know, just today I was browsing with Streetview through the Bronx. Most of those pics above are in Google Earth as well, but they do not look anything like they looked before the 90's. NYC shaped up great from the 90's onward.

By the way, I've read today Camden, NJ was once again America's most dangerous city in 2008.

agentsteel53

the wasteland now looks like this.

pretty depressing.

there are, fortunately, plenty of places in New York that are a lot more fun.  Chinatown (lower Manhattan), Queens Blvd, etc...

jake@aaroads.com

yanksfan6129

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 24, 2009, 04:13:44 PM
the wasteland now looks like this.

pretty depressing.

there are, fortunately, plenty of places in New York that are a lot more fun.  Chinatown (lower Manhattan), Queens Blvd, etc...

You may say depressing, but at least it's a sign of progress. That said, I agree with you that starbucks isn't what NY is about it...NYC is a fabulous city, no doubt.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.