News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

driving video setup

Started by Chris, February 11, 2010, 11:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

I am currently using some velcro to tape my camera to the dashboard, but I can take it out every time I want. However, I'm not satisfied with this way of filming, so I am thinking about something with a suction mount to attach it to the windshield. How do you guys make road videos? I noticed my GPS suction mount falls off sometimes, I don't want that with my video camera. I also want to avoid that it is very prominently visible from outside the car (I don't want to attract attention), so something low just above the dashboard would be best.

My current set-up:

Bryant5493

Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Bryant5493

Here's a video of my driving set-up and equipment.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Alex

The only time I ever did a mount when I used to film roads was to set the camcorder on a tripod. The legs were adjustable, so I could have the back two shorter, using areas adjacent to the passenger seat, and the forward one long going to the floorboard. It required some handstabilizing around curves and such, but it worked for the most part. Generally when I drove and filmed, I went slower, so that minimized the amount of stabilizing and maximized the filming of signs, interchanges, skylines, etc.

Chris

I believe I've read it once that AAroads was aiming at offering a video of every Interstate mile in the United States. Is there still such a project, or is it mostly focused on covering the existing gaps in photography of Interstates? The road enthusiast community has already filmed a sizeable portion of the US Interstate system (think of Freewaybrent, Freewayjim, Bryant5493 and others).

Alex

Quote from: Chris on March 17, 2010, 02:55:31 PM
I believe I've read it once that AAroads was aiming at offering a video of every Interstate mile in the United States. Is there still such a project, or is it mostly focused on covering the existing gaps in photography of Interstates? The road enthusiast community has already filmed a sizeable portion of the US Interstate system (think of Freewaybrent, Freewayjim, Bryant5493 and others).

I would never so boldly make such a claim!  :-D

These days I rarely shoot a video, and if I do, its at night when there are no photography opportunities left. You guys (you, Bryant, Jim, H.B., etc.) have modern day video well covered, so I figure why bother adding to an already wide existing array of videos.

My road video days pretty much ended in 2000 after a nine-year run with my original VHS Camcorder. Andy and I did shoot five videotapes worth of footage on our 2001 trip to Pittsburgh, but those are stuck in Hi8 format, and I have no way to even view them now. We also did a couple of videos in 2002 of New Orleans and Houston respectively, but those were done in the same format. I have about 10 dvd mini-discs of videos from 2004-09 from various cities in my current run. The last highway video I shot was in Cincinnati in November.

If you look at my youtube page, I don't even bother publishing new videos there anymore either. Too many other endeavors to undertake with running/maintaining AARoads, and converting my old VHS tapes into digital media is too time consuming......

Chris

I got an 12V to 230V transformer, so I am not dependent on batteries anymore. It works with chargers, photo cameras, video cameras and my laptop.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.