News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Free NNTP (usenet) server?

Started by bugo, March 02, 2010, 07:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

My NNTP server quit working and now I can't get my fix of Racist Roadsine Randy, Carl Rogers, and Richard Bullis.  And I refuse to use Google Groups.  Somebody posted a list of them a few months ago but I can't seem to find it.  Help me!

dfilpus

Scott5114

Why not use Google Groups? If you're specifically looking for the trolls like Randy and Carl, it's not like the lack of killfile capability will kill you...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 02, 2010, 09:47:08 PM
Why not use Google Groups? If you're specifically looking for the trolls like Randy and Carl, it's not like the lack of killfile capability will kill you...
I don't like the interface.  I like using an email program for usenet access.

vdeane

What's wrong with the interface?  I've never understood why people seem to hate Google Groups.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bugo

Quote from: deanej on March 03, 2010, 03:14:13 PM
What's wrong with the interface?  I've never understood why people seem to hate Google Groups.

It's just slow and buggy.  And you can't hide read messages.  I much prefer a NNTP server.

Thanks, dfilpus.  I'm up and running and getting my troll fix on MTR.

dfilpus

Quote from: bugo on March 03, 2010, 04:34:07 PM
Thanks, dfilpus.  I'm up and running and getting my troll fix on MTR.
U R Welcome.

US71

Quote from: dfilpus on March 02, 2010, 08:36:17 PM
news.eternal-september.org (used to be news.motzarella.org)

I just added this myself. Took a couple adjustments, but seems to working just fine now.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SSOWorld

Ditto.  Now to find a newsreader that supports killfiles
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

US71

Quote from: Master son on July 03, 2010, 01:50:54 AM

Well, I use Outlook Express and I can block certain senders or create filters to block certain messages
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Quote from: US71 on July 03, 2010, 08:11:09 AM
Quote from: Master son on July 03, 2010, 01:50:54 AM

Well, I use Outlook Express and I can block certain senders or create filters to block certain messages

I wouldn't "upgrade" to Windows Live Mail.  It's far less functional than Outlook Express.  Outlook Express isn't available on Windows 7 or Vista.

SSOWorld

agreed with Bugo on this one - I find it sucky already.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.