News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Connecticut License Plates

Started by jon daly, April 06, 2010, 07:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon daly

When I was a kid, Conn.'s license plate format was AB 1234.  But for many years, it has been 123 ABC.  They are on the Ws and Xs now and I was wondering what the new format will be.  Also, it seems like they are replacing plates with new numbers as people reregister there cars, but I'm not 100% sure about that.  Mine has ended in MMJ for quite some time, but I think I'm seeing a lot more new plates than normal.

Alps

NJ's into the Zeds now.  As soon as we roll over I'll let everyone know how that one works.  Most states don't wait till the last second to roll over - in fact, the current NJ series (XXX ##X) was begun 25-30 years ago, left off at E or F in favor of a seven-character plate, then ended up coming back!

mefailenglish

In Maryland, the plates used to be XXX ###.  Now they're #XX X##.  Maybe CT will do something similar?

Kacie Jane

Washington just went to a seven character format last year (although I didn't spot one in use for the first time until last week) after running out of 123 ABC plates.

I think here you have to get new plates every 5 years, although it may be longer, I'm not sure. 

Roadgeek Adam

Jersey's still 6 digits, as all of the cars we've had were
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on April 07, 2010, 09:46:10 PM
Jersey's still 6 digits, as all of the cars we've had were
See my post on Jersey license plates oh, three below yours

Duke87

Huh. I always thought the jumble of letters was random.

But now that you mention it, of the cars that have been in my family...

- one, perhaps both, of the old Subarus (CT plates put on in '90) definitely had G as the first letter
- the Villager ('95) had JOF
- the first Quest ('98) had MDP
- the Sentra (plates from '05) has RFT
- the Murano (plates from '06) has SPD
- my Focus ('09) has XMS

Yup, they're moving forward in the alphabet!
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

signalman

Quote from: AlpsROADS on April 06, 2010, 08:45:59 PM
NJ's into the Zeds now.  As soon as we roll over I'll let everyone know how that one works.  Most states don't wait till the last second to roll over - in fact, the current NJ series (XXX ##X) was begun 25-30 years ago, left off at E or F in favor of a seven-character plate, then ended up coming back!
You're close.  Actually they ended the blue plates at GZZ-99Z, then 7 character plates were introduced.  After that, BA-100A thru ZZ-999Z were issued through the 90s.  Then the old format was picked up at JAA-10A to the current late Z series.  Upon reaching ZZZ-99Z (which should happen in May or June) the format will reverse to an A10-AAA format.  Not sure how progression will work on those yet.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.