News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Roads mentioned in TV shows

Started by kurumi, June 24, 2010, 01:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

There's a show called NCIS (spinoff of CSI?) starring LL Cool J, and the following exchange caught my ear (transcript):

You really got to start taking the freeway, man.
I like taking the streets.
No, you like being late.
The freeway would have gotten us here faster.
Oh, that parking lot they call the 10?
It's also knownas the Santa Monica Freeway.
They have names as well as numbers.
Mm-hmm. Well, Olympic's faster.
You never take Olympic before noon going west.
What if it's a leap year?
Sam here claims to know the name of every freeway in California.
Oh, yeah? What about the 8?
Ocean Beach Freeway.
The 2.
Glendale Freeway.
[pause]
Got him.
Escondido Freeway.
Bam!

It starts in one half hour in Culver City, so you best be on your way.
We don't want you breaking the speed limit to get there.
You might want to take the 90.
Just saying.
Which is the Marina Freeway.
Ha.
Booya.

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

agentsteel53

haha that is awesome!

speaking of which, does the 215 have a name?  It's not the Escondido Freeway, as that is the 15 heading north out of San Diego.  (And, I think, the 163 as well, north of the Balboa Park Freeway segment.) 

215 was the original 15/395 before the current 15 was built over the 71 alignment, and has been around for a while, so it may very well have a name - I just don't know what it is.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 24, 2010, 02:02:36 PM
haha that is awesome!

speaking of which, does the 215 have a name?  It's not the Escondido Freeway, as that is the 15 heading north out of San Diego.  (And, I think, the 163 as well, north of the Balboa Park Freeway segment.) 

215 was the original 15/395 before the current 15 was built over the 71 alignment, and has been around for a while, so it may very well have a name - I just don't know what it is.

163 is "Cabrillo Freeway" for its entire length, which received the name when it was still 395.  Don't think the 215 names are in popular usage, but according to this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_215_(California)

From Route 60 south to I-15, it is the Escondido Freeway (which I-15/Route 15 continues south as to I-5 in Logan Heights)

Route 60/I-215 co-signed segment is Moreno Valley Freeway

I-215 between Route 91 and I-10 (the former US 91/395) is the last segment of the Riverside Freeway

I-215 between I-10 and Route 210 has been labeled on maps as part of the San Bernardino Freeway, though it is an awkward name transfer IMO from I-10 east to I-215 north

North of Route 210, it is the Barstow Freeway (as is I-15 north of Devore)
Chris Sampang

golden eagle

NCIS is not a spinoff of CSI. The show you were looking at is NCIS: Los Angeles, which is a spinoff of the original NCIS.

Anyhow, this may end up being a very busy thread. A lot of TV shows mention highways.

Chris

I'm currently watching all episodes of Magnum, P.I. (gotta love the 80's) and they mention a lot of roads on Oahu, especially the Honolulu area. I think the Pali Highway has been mentioned most often so far.

golden eagle

Law & Order has mentioned the Long Island Expressway a number of times over the years.

triplemultiplex

A four lane segment of US 285 just outside of Denver featured prominently in an 8th season South Park episode entitled "Goobacks".  The time portal through which all the future Americans came through was located nearby creating border-like traffic issues.  Unfortunately they got the sign wrong and drew it in as Interstate 285.

That show is usually really good at it's Colorado geography.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

algorerhythms

Quote from: golden eagle on June 24, 2010, 10:39:40 PM
NCIS is not a spinoff of CSI. The show you were looking at is NCIS: Los Angeles, which is a spinoff of the original NCIS.

Anyhow, this may end up being a very busy thread. A lot of TV shows mention highways.
Yes, and on the original NCIS, which is set in Washington, DC, you can tell that the writers are from southern California in that the characters often refer to highways such as "the 495" and "the 270."

njroadhorse

Quote from: golden eagle on June 25, 2010, 02:11:39 PM
Law & Order has mentioned the Long Island Expressway a number of times over the years.
Law and Order mentions many of New York's "finer" freeways.

I've heard the Van Wyck referenced on Seinfeld in relation to Elaine's troubles getting to the airport.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

agentsteel53

Quote from: njroadhorse on June 25, 2010, 05:42:33 PM

I've heard the Van Wyck referenced on Seinfeld in relation to Elaine's troubles getting to the airport.

is the Van Wyck even a sensible way to get from Manhattan to one of the airports?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

allniter89

:hmmm:
In Sienfeld Kramer repainted the lane marking lines on what hwy?
How about when Jerry/Elaine and George/his girlfiend went to a cabin in the woods, hwys mentioned?
Or when they went to see the bubble boy?
Or when Jerry and his agent drove a rent a car to or from a gig?
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Chris

"He called the Long Island Expressway a concrete miracle"

In Friends.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.