News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Turn That Town Upside Down

Started by plain, August 13, 2018, 08:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plain

Just thought it would be fun to see what your city would look like "upside down".

Richmond:

SM-S820L

Newark born, Richmond bred

triplemultiplex

Any fans of Parks and Recreation?
"Pawnee, Indiana" is an upside-down, mirrored image of Muncie, Indiana.  There are scenes with a wall-mounted map in the background.  The shape of the IN 67/US 35 bypass jumps out to the road geek.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

abefroman329

In the Starsky and Hutch movie, the map of Bay City is a map of LA rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

plain

I remember both that movie and that show (matter of fact P&R was underrated as hell) but I didn't realize those tilted maps until now... whoa! Now I wonder how many other productions did that
Newark born, Richmond bred

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 15, 2018, 05:25:53 PM
Any fans of Parks and Recreation?
"Pawnee, Indiana" is an upside-down, mirrored image of Muncie, Indiana.  There are scenes with a wall-mounted map in the background.  The shape of the IN 67/US 35 bypass jumps out to the road geek.

Holy shit, thank you! I'd seen that map in Leslie's office and had been wondering what it was an actual picture of.

sparker

It wasn't until the last couple of seasons of P&R that they even mentioned the part of Indiana where Pawnee (and its hated neighbor Eagleton, with which it eventually merged) was located; "Southwest Indiana" was generically cited.  Since I-69, or "the new Interstate"  never came up in any of their scripts, I'd place a guess that the town would have been located well outside that corridor; narrowing it down beyond that would likely be fruitless, as not a lot of topography was ever shown. 

MNHighwayMan

Like a lot of TV shows, it was actually filmed in southern California, so it's not like you were ever going to see matching topography...

sparker

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 22, 2018, 10:22:06 PM
Like a lot of TV shows, it was actually filmed in southern California, so it's not like you were ever going to see matching topography...

That didn't seem to stop TV producers -- particularly Stephen Cannell (A-Team, Wiseguy, etc.) from doing outdoor filming in SoCal -- to the extent of actually showing the mountains and claiming within the script that it was somewhere on the East Coast.  The '70's and '80's were "prime time" for this phenomenon, although some shows first airing in the '60's (Mission Impossible, I'm looking at you!) featured it as well.  As a SoCal native, I actually found it pretty humorous.   

MNHighwayMan

In the early seasons of Parks & Rec you can actually see outdoor shots of streets with the dark blue LA-style street blades, which is what made it obvious to me.

Edit: and here's the map, in case anyone's wondering. From S02E03. Yes, that's Louis CK as a Pawnee police officer. And here's Muncie, IN for comparison.

abefroman329

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 22, 2018, 10:22:06 PM
I used to watch The League, which was set in Chicago but filmed in SoCal, and they didn't even bother trying to disguise it. I remember one ep where a character was supposed to be at O'Hare and flying to LA, but it was clearly filmed at LAX, and I was utterly confused.

I once saw a map of the Thirty Mile Zone that had areas labeled with the places they stood in for.

mrsman

More and more shows are simply set in LA these days to avoid the inconsistencies you point out.

Nexus 5X

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.