News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Oklahoma City meet (6/26-6/27)

Started by Scott5114, May 21, 2009, 04:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Reminder to all of you that the Oklahoma City road meet is coming up next month. The meet will be Friday, June 26 and Saturday, June 27. If there's enough interest, there will be a meet-and-greet event on the night of Thursday, June 25.

Previous versions of the meet agenda included stops to examine the new I-40 construction in progress; however I have removed that from my plan because I found out that much of the route runs thru what is currently the warehouse district and other areas not too fun to hang around in.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 21, 2009, 04:48:16 AM
Reminder to all of you that the Oklahoma City road meet is coming up next month. The meet will be Friday, June 26 and Saturday, June 27. If there's enough interest, there will be a meet-and-greet event on the night of Thursday, June 25.

Previous versions of the meet agenda included stops to examine the new I-40 construction in progress; however I have removed that from my plan because I found out that much of the route runs thru what is currently the warehouse district and other areas not too fun to hang around in.

Are all the details current on your meet page? I won't be getting into town until Friday morning. Got a huge county-collecting trip planned for Thursday. ;-)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

austrini

I might try to go, its less than 3 hours away. I'll bug you later about information if I have that weekend free!
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

Scott5114

The dates and times on the meet page are correct. I need to make a few amendments to the "agenda", but that's minor stuff.

It doesn't look like the wiki workshop is going to happen–I think I might be the only Wikipedian in attendance! I was hoping that I would be able to get the Wikipedians from Wisconsin and Michigan that were at the Chicago meet last year to attend but sadly it doesn't appear any of them will make it.

bugo has brought up the possibility of going bridge/old alignment hunting after dinner in lieu of the wiki stuff, so we may end up doing that instead!

austrini

OK thank you! I'd like to meet everyone especially Jeremy since Ive known him for so many years.
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

Alex

Scott5114

algorerhythms

I can make it for certain on Saturday, but not during most of the day on Friday.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

okroads

I am planning on being there for at least part of it.

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 22, 2009, 07:17:51 PM
The dates and times on the meet page are correct. I need to make a few amendments to the "agenda", but that's minor stuff.

It doesn't look like the wiki workshop is going to happen–I think I might be the only Wikipedian in attendance! I was hoping that I would be able to get the Wikipedians from Wisconsin and Michigan that were at the Chicago meet last year to attend but sadly it doesn't appear any of them will make it.

bugo has brought up the possibility of going bridge/old alignment hunting after dinner in lieu of the wiki stuff, so we may end up doing that instead!

My agenda has changed and I will be getting into town on Thursday evening after all.

I had gotten a free Micropass awards night at the Sallisaw, OK Microtel for Thursday night, and had figured I'd drive on in (3 hours or so) Friday morning. However, the Microtel in Sallisaw is now a Days Inn and I was going to have to pay for my night. So I just decided to come on the rest of the way Thursday evening and stay in the same room for two nights.

So...

My plan is still to get as far west as possible during daylight hours on I-40 Wednesday. Conway would be excellent, North Little Rock OK, Lonoke acceptable and anything east of that not so much. Then I'm going to arise early Friday and still do my loop going south from Sallisaw, then west to McAlester, north to Muskogee, east to Fayetteville, north to Joplin, west to US 59 in Kansas, then south, but I may not go back to Sallisaw on US 59. It looks like it would be quicker to take US 412 and US 69 back to I-40 so I can get those counties on my way into town.

Don't know what time I'll be getting there on Thursday night but I presume there'll be some sort of pre-meet gathering if enough people have made it into town that night?

Scott, I'm sure you'll be emailing us all with details. My motel is one exit (one mile) west of the proposed daily meet-up site so I won't be too far away from the action.

Very much looking forward to this trip!

Scott5114

If you will be attending the OKC meet, please send an email to scott5114@gmail.com . I need to know what hotel you will be staying at and which days you will be attending.

I do not yet know what time the Thursday night meet-and-greet will be held. It will depend at what time my employer schedules me to go home... I have requested a day shift for that Thursday but it's entirely possible that I could end up staying as late as 8pm, or even that I won't be able to get off that night at all, in which case the meet-and-greet will either be cancelled or I'll see if Jeremy or Eric would be willing to set it up.

bugo

I definitely won't be making it into town until at least Friday morning.

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 15, 2009, 03:17:17 PM
If you will be attending the OKC meet, please send an email to scott5114@gmail.com . I need to know what hotel you will be staying at and which days you will be attending.

I do not yet know what time the Thursday night meet-and-greet will be held. It will depend at what time my employer schedules me to go home... I have requested a day shift for that Thursday but it's entirely possible that I could end up staying as late as 8pm, or even that I won't be able to get off that night at all, in which case the meet-and-greet will either be cancelled or I'll see if Jeremy or Eric would be willing to set it up.

E-mail confirming my attendance has been sent. Since I don't know what time I'll be getting into town Thursday night, my attendance at a pre-meet dinner/M&T is iffy but if I get there in time, I'd love to join in. Whomever puts this together, let me know time and location.

My accommodations are at the Microtel Inn, at I-40 and MacArthur, one exit west of Meridian Avenue, where you had suggested the daily meet-up point would be.

algorerhythms

Just for the record, if the weather then is anything like it is now, prepare to sweat a bit.

hbelkins

Quote from: algorerhythms on June 15, 2009, 10:19:53 PM
Just for the record, if the weather then is anything like it is now, prepare to sweat a bit.

It's hot here in the Bluegrass, too. I'm used to it. Don't like it, but used to it.

Alps

You should go into the calendar (https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=calendar, linked at the bottom of the main page) and list this as an event.

Mergingtraffic

OK City has quite a few left exits and entrances...have fun!
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Scott5114

Not as many as Tulsa, though...

The current temperature in Norman is 90.

Scott5114

It's looking like I may have to work Thursday night. If so, that portion of the meet will probably be hosted by Eric Stuve. (If not, it'll be canceled.) I'll keep people posted.

bugo

Looks like I'll be attending Friday but not Saturday.  One thing that isn't an option is driving my car during the meeting.  My A/C is broken, and the high is forecast to be near 100 degrees.

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on June 15, 2009, 10:44:13 PM
Quote from: algorerhythms on June 15, 2009, 10:19:53 PM

It's hot here in the Bluegrass, too. I'm used to it. Don't like it, but used to it.

It's bad here too.  I get overheated just walking out to check my mail or to go to the dumpster.  Heat plus humidity = misery.

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 22, 2009, 03:51:21 AM
It's looking like I may have to work Thursday night. If so, that portion of the meet will probably be hosted by Eric Stuve. (If not, it'll be canceled.) I'll keep people posted.

Scott, don't forget to mail me tonight or during the day on Tuesday to give me an approximate headcount. I'm bringing goodies from Kentucky and just need to know how many.

As for the tour, I'll be driving but won't be able to take anyone with me.

route56

I definitely cannot make it... the fact that I am unemployed means I cannot justify a multi-day trip.

However, if anyone wants to meet me in Wichita on Sunday, I can probably sqeeze my way that far. I need to check the status of Kellogg :)
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

US71

Quote from: route56 on June 23, 2009, 12:41:28 AM

However, if anyone wants to meet me in Wichita on Sunday, I can probably sqeeze my way that far. I need to check the status of Kellogg :)

I may be up that way on Labor Day
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.