News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Tunnel

Started by jakeroot, April 21, 2014, 06:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Bruce on May 24, 2019, 02:14:05 AM
Demolition timelapse from a Western Avenue office building:

I love videos like this.

I especially liked the chomper thing that seemed to chew away the concrete vaguely like the Cookie Monster. What I wasn't expecting though is just how much of the process of demolition consists of hauling the stuff away. I'm amazed too that at one point in time all that concrete and rebar had to have been hauled in. The significant visual transformation of the area due to the demolition makes a bit more sense to me now given just how much material was there.

On a side note, I've been to Elliott's Oyster House on Pier 56, and so I've probably walked under the viaduct right where the camera was. 
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Henry

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 13, 2019, 04:38:43 AM

I love videos like this.

I especially liked the chomper thing that seemed to chew away the concrete vaguely like the Cookie Monster. What I wasn't expecting though is just how much of the process of demolition consists of hauling the stuff away. I'm amazed too that at one point in time all that concrete and rebar had to have been hauled in. The significant visual transformation of the area due to the demolition makes a bit more sense to me now given just how much material was there.

On a side note, I've been to Elliott's Oyster House on Pier 56, and so I've probably walked under the viaduct right where the camera was. 
I must admit, I think it was cool to see two weeks of demolition and clearance work squeezed into a 15-minute video.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Alps

Quote from: Bruce on June 12, 2019, 03:24:26 PM
Tolling is delayed until fall due to missed deadlines from the tolling vendor.

https://twitter.com/GrahamKIRO7/status/1138885158042423296
Is there a concession to the vendor, or is the state expecting to see toll revenue from this?

rte66man

Quote from: Henry on June 13, 2019, 10:23:16 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 13, 2019, 04:38:43 AM

I love videos like this.

I must admit, I think it was cool to see two weeks of demolition and clearance work squeezed into a 15-minute video.

I loved the video.  It reminded me of a bad stop-action monster movie.   :bigass:
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Bruce

mgk920

Quote from: rte66man on May 22, 2019, 09:05:02 PM
So where are they disposing of all that steel?  I'm assuming the concrete is being crushed and recycled.

I would assume that all of that rebar steel is being cut into manageable-sized pieces to be sold and delivered by truck and/or rail to whatever scrap yards are offering the best prices for it, to in turn be sold and delivered to whatever foundries and/or steel mills are offering the best prices for it.  Scrap is a very important raw material for foundries and steel mills and yes, iron and steel has always been one of the very most 'recycled' materials of all.

Mike

Bruce

Another demolition video. Ferma are moving south of Yesler soon.

jakeroot

A couple weeks ago, I was driving south on 99, and exited at Harrison. I couldn't help but notice, after proceeding straight towards downtown (on Aurora Ave), that the entrance to the Battery St Tunnel has completely disappeared. As far as I could tell, they were preparing the roadway for its final configuration. I proceeded straight down the middle of Aurora all the way to Denny, when traffic normally would have swung right to avoid entering the tunnel.

Henry

Quote from: Bruce on July 18, 2019, 12:28:58 AM
Another demolition video. Ferma are moving south of Yesler soon.

I appreciate your sharing this video! It gives me a better understanding of what goes on in the demolition process, from the dismantling of the bridge decks to the removal and transport of the resulting debris (most of which is recyclable).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on July 18, 2019, 02:49:19 AM
A couple weeks ago, I was driving south on 99, and exited at Harrison. I couldn't help but notice, after proceeding straight towards downtown (on Aurora Ave), that the entrance to the Battery St Tunnel has completely disappeared. As far as I could tell, they were preparing the roadway for its final configuration. I proceeded straight down the middle of Aurora all the way to Denny, when traffic normally would have swung right to avoid entering the tunnel.

This was the view from Denny Way about a month ago:

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on July 18, 2019, 11:58:41 PM

https://i.imgur.com/gWvze8u.jpg

Wow. They really weren't screwing around through there.

TEG24601

Quote from: jakeroot on July 19, 2019, 12:22:58 AM
Quote from: Bruce on July 18, 2019, 11:58:41 PM

https://i.imgur.com/gWvze8u.jpg

Wow. They really weren't screwing around through there.

GSV from that area is from May, and shows them doing some of the fill-in work.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Bruce

A few shots of the waterfront from this morning:

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: Bruce on July 21, 2019, 12:47:17 AM
A few shots of the waterfront from this morning:

The new pedestrian bridge to the ferry terminal was built as soon as a section of the viaduct was removed, but the building it goes to isn't completed yet.  The section of Viaduct around the existing ped bridge probably won't be demolished until the new bridge is ready.  For all the delays that the tunnel had, how would they have handled the new ped bridge if the viaduct had been demolished years ago?  That is, a new southerly ped bridge wouldn't have connected to anything until the new terminal building was built.

Bruce

It could have been connected to a section of the existing balcony next to the (now removed) clock enclosure. Or, more likely, they'd have demolished the old bridge anyway and just run shuttle buses between 1st and the street-level entrance for ADA compliance while telling everyone else to just hoof it uphill.

Bruce

jakeroot

Managed to grab one last shot of that underpass on the 19th of August. Also grabbed a shot of the Temp-90 sign, but I won't post it since it's been posted to death already.

ozarkman417

I'm sure the old US 99 sign has been posted already, too.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Bruce on September 06, 2019, 10:32:41 PM
The last double-decker section (at the pedestrian bridge) is about to come down.

https://twitter.com/SkyPixAerialLLC/status/1170124844114960384

Apparently my brother was at the site when the local news was interviewing pedestrians about the change.  Who knew he was decent on camera?  He's the first and last person interviewed in the segment.

https://komonews.com/news/sr-99-tunnel/ferry-commuters-face-changes-as-last-section-of-alaskan-way-viaduct-ready-to-meet-its-doom

jakeroot

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 08, 2019, 05:08:02 PM
Apparently my brother was at the site when the local news was interviewing pedestrians about the change.  Who knew he was decent on camera?  He's the first and last person interviewed in the segment.

https://komonews.com/news/sr-99-tunnel/ferry-commuters-face-changes-as-last-section-of-alaskan-way-viaduct-ready-to-meet-its-doom

Ha! Nice! Roadgeekery runs in the family, whether you like it or not. Was he intentionally trying to get interviewed? Was he down there specifically to see the viaduct?

MikieTimT

Quote from: jakeroot on September 08, 2019, 11:04:27 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on September 08, 2019, 05:08:02 PM

Ha! Nice! Roadgeekery runs in the family, whether you like it or not. Was he intentionally trying to get interviewed? Was he down there specifically to see the viaduct?

Nope, not intentional.  Just walks most places around Seattle unless he needs to work.  He drives to work, but other than that, has to leave town to enjoy his vehicles and motorcycles.  His condo is about 4 blocks south of the Needle within sight of the monorail, so he's convenient to a great many places by foot and just happened upon the crew.  I don't even know if he's aware of my geekery actually.  If he lived anywhere other than Seattle, he probably might be one himself.  Traffic there just sucks the joy out of driving most days for him.  He's got a buddy that has land out east closer to the mountains, so he's likely to pick up a small camper to pull behind the 1996 4Runner he just picked up and spend more time out of town, though.

Henry

I must admit, downtown Seattle looks a million times better without the viaduct!

MikieTimT

Quote from: Henry on September 10, 2019, 09:47:17 AM
I must admit, downtown Seattle looks a million times better without the viaduct!

It does and when they parkify it further, it will look even better.  I will miss the views we got from driving north on it, especially at certain times of the evening in the clearer summer months, but this is progress and for the better.

Bruce

The definitive viaduct video from WSDOT:

nexus73

When will the project be completed, meaning everything cleaned up, landscaping in place, signals and signs installed, etc.?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.