News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Tunnel

Started by jakeroot, April 21, 2014, 06:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Quote from: nexus73 on September 25, 2019, 12:58:10 AM
When will the project be completed, meaning everything cleaned up, landscaping in place, signals and signs installed, etc.?

Rick

2023. There are a lot of elements (including new streets and bridges) that have to be lifted into place.

Beltway

Quote from: nexus73 on September 25, 2019, 12:58:10 AM
When will the project be completed, meaning everything cleaned up, landscaping in place, signals and signs installed, etc.?  Rick

Plus what about the boulevard part of the project?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Henry

Quote from: Bruce on September 24, 2019, 10:42:46 PM
The definitive viaduct video from WSDOT:

The difference is as clear as night and day, and I stand by the post I made before it:
Quote from: Henry on September 10, 2019, 09:47:17 AM
I must admit, downtown Seattle looks a million times better without the viaduct!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kkt

Quote from: Henry on September 10, 2019, 09:47:17 AM
I must admit, downtown Seattle looks a million times better without the viaduct!

Yes!

Almost the same view as from the viaduct can still be had from several points along 1st Ave. and Pike Place Market.  On the whole, it's probably better that people get out and walk to enjoy the view rather than watch the view while they are driving.

mgk920

Agreed, the highway served its purpose, and well, but it was time to move on.  When that structure was built, that was an industrial and port wasteland.  Now it is the center of the city's 'vibe'.

Also, until the bypass tunnel was built a century or so ago, mainline railroads used Alaska Way, 'street running' style, too.

Mike

jakeroot

Quote from: mgk920 on September 29, 2019, 01:33:08 PM
Also, until the bypass tunnel was built a century or so ago, mainline railroads used Alaska Way, 'street running' style, too.

Yeah, Alaskan Way was nuckin' futs for a while. Many freeways were designed to cut off the nice areas from the industrial or poor areas, but the viaduct was purely designed to pass over the craziness of the old road, even after the tunnel opened. Of course, it was also designed to tie into several other freeways, and that never happened. But it served its primary purpose quite well for a very long time.

TEG24601

Quote from: jakeroot on September 29, 2019, 03:38:19 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on September 29, 2019, 01:33:08 PM

Yeah, Alaskan Way was nuckin' futs for a while. Many freeways were designed to cut off the nice areas from the industrial or poor areas, but the viaduct was purely designed to pass over the craziness of the old road, even after the tunnel opened. Of course, it was also designed to tie into several other freeways, and that never happened. But it served its primary purpose quite well for a very long time.

It also doesn't help that people didn't care for the waterfronts in most cities until the 70s.  They were where the docks were, and the dock workers, which were seen as lower people.  People also didn't care much for views, as the water was often polluted and smelled bad.  So all the things that people didn't want were along the waterfront, which explains all the freeways built along waterfronts.

And the Railroad tunnel, was one of the biggest reasons that those pro-99 Tunnel were so gung-ho, as we knew it would work, and knew how safe they were.  Then again, it would have been a lot cheaper and faster to do the original cut-and-cover Tunnel/Seawall under Alaskan Way that was proposed starting in the mid-90s.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdXCedSGWec

Tolling to start in the tunnel on November 9, 2019. Get your Good to Go! transponder ready!

jakeroot

Got a video of the first day of tolling. You can see the final signage here. Couple of errors in what I said, which I've corrected in the video description.

https://youtu.be/c5q-srPmRfQ

nexus73

Quote from: jakeroot on November 11, 2019, 03:05:25 AM
Got a video of the first day of tolling. You can see the final signage here. Couple of errors in what I said, which I've corrected in the video description.

https://youtu.be/c5q-srPmRfQ

The drive through the tunnel seemed longer than expected.  Oh well, at least you get your money's worth of tunnel vision!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

jakeroot

Quote from: nexus73 on November 11, 2019, 10:07:04 AM
The drive through the tunnel seemed longer than expected.  Oh well, at least you get your money's worth of tunnel vision!

It's a surprisingly long tunnel! Definitely worth it. The fact that so many people may refuse to pay the toll boggles my mind. It saves an insane amount of time. Nevermind the pedestrians downtown who would obviously appreciate a few less cars getting in their way.

TEG24601

Having driven it, it seems well worth the $3 to avoid downtown traffic, especially if heading to West Seattle or the Airport and I-5 is bogged down.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

jakeroot

Quote from: TEG24601 on November 14, 2019, 01:32:55 PM
Having driven it, it seems well worth the $3 to avoid downtown traffic, especially if heading to West Seattle or the Airport and I-5 is bogged down.

Hell, it's only $1 during off-peak hours with a G2G pass. I don't know why people wouldn't get one. You'll make up the cost to buy the Flex Pass within eight rides, and only three with the regular sticker pass (probably sufficient for this tunnel).

Truvelo

I guess this view now looks a lot different to this photo I took in March 2018.

Jakeroot's video shows the shoulder in the tunnel is on the left. Is there any reason for this?
Speed limits limit life

ErmineNotyours

Bruce

Quote from: Truvelo on November 14, 2019, 04:27:23 PM

I guess this view now looks a lot different to this photo I took in March 2018.

Jakeroot's video shows the shoulder in the tunnel is on the left. Is there any reason for this?

The viewing platform (aka part of the ferry terminal) has also been demolished recently.

jakeroot

I believe it has to do with the emergency doors, which are on the left. If you have to abandon your car for whatever reason, you don't have to run across the carriageway to escape the tunnel. If I'm not mistaken, the southbound carriageway has a right-side shoulder for the same reason, just in reverse.

stevashe

Quote from: jakeroot on November 14, 2019, 08:41:46 PM

I believe it has to do with the emergency doors, which are on the left. If you have to abandon your car for whatever reason, you don't have to run across the carriageway to escape the tunnel. If I'm not mistaken, the southbound carriageway has a right-side shoulder for the same reason, just in reverse.

That is correct, it's to have room to get to the doors, and it is on the right southbound since both directions are stacked on top of each other.

Quote from: jakeroot on November 14, 2019, 03:51:42 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on November 14, 2019, 01:32:55 PM

Hell, it's only $1 during off-peak hours with a G2G pass. I don't know why people wouldn't get one. You'll make up the cost to buy the Flex Pass within eight rides, and only three with the regular sticker pass (probably sufficient for this tunnel).

Yeah I don't get it, the tolls are really very reasonable, not complaining much though, just means it'll be even faster for those that do use it! And even during peak hours, the highest toll is only $2.25 with the pass.

The Ghostbuster

If I ever go to Seattle (unlikely), the first thing I will do is take a ride through the Alaskan Way Tunnel. In the meantime, I'll use Streetview on Google Maps to travel through the tunnel.

compdude787

Bruce

I got my chunk and walked it down to the viaduct.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Bruce on November 20, 2019, 11:18:25 PM
I got my chunk and walked it down to the viaduct.

If enough others do the same, maybe you guys can put it back together!

Bruce

The last column of the viaduct was removed on Thursday.

Latest WSDOT drone video:

qguy

Henry

And so the transformation is complete!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.