News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

...legislation has now been introduced in Congress to address that.

"Petri, Ribble propose legislation allowing existing trucks to use the future I-41

--------

Written by
Tabitha Cassidy
Post-Crescent Media

Filed Under

Local News

The much-anticipated conversion of U.S. 41 to Interstate 41 is due to occur early next year, but there's a potential fly in the ointment.

Federal law forbids trucks weighing more than 80,000 pounds to use interstates, except in extenuating circumstances. That requirement was placed on semitrailers in 1991. The reasoning at the time was the concern that heavier trucks would damage the highways and bridges they were using to transport goods.

Trucks presently operating on U.S. 41 can weigh up to 97,000 pounds, prompting U.S. Reps. Reid Ribble, R-Sherwood, and Tom Petri, R-Fond du Lac, to propose legislation that allow the heavier trucks to continue to operate on that stretch of interstate highway between Green Bay and the Wisconsin/Illinois border...."

(see link for rest of article)

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20130704/APC0101/306200397

(The image in the article is of US(I)-41, looking southward towards WI 15 (Northland Ave) from Capitol Dr in the Appleton area.  The six lanes starts on the other side of this interchange.)

Mike

mgk920

One additional item here is that a big-rig that is over the normal weight limit must have a special permit from WisDOT.  For example, on southbound US 45 (I-41), just after you go past Appleton Ave (US 41/WI 175 - interchange 47A) on the City of Milwaukee's far northwest side, is this sign: http://goo.gl/maps/9cHiF (That's Florist Ave crossing the freeway right there), followed shortly thereafter by this sign (that's Silver Spring Dr - interchange 46 in the background): http://goo.gl/maps/LN11r .  They tell drivers of those rigs that that's as far as they can legally go on that freeway.

Mike

SSOWorld

Those signs are posted at all incoming Milwaukee Freeways Mike - even the interstates themselves - They do not have anything to do with the weight limits.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

merrycilantro

I really see only 2 possibilities when it comes to current US41 in Milwaukee County. I agree with those that say it will be signed as WIS 175 because at the Appleton Avenue interchange the 175 designation would just in theory continue southeastward, and end at National Ave (WIS 59). WIS 341 is only 1 mile long, and should really just be absorbed by 175, but the other possibility is that they "lengthen" WIS 341 by following "Old 41" up the Stadium and then Appleton Ave. I would really only see this option if they are figuring on upgrading this route but let's face it, with all the NIMBY's in the Milwaukee area that nixed as many of the planned freeways as they did in the 1970's, I could see them deconstructing the Stadium over upgrading it, and turning it into an "urban boulevard". Regardless, I would guess 175 over 341. Let's save 341 for a potential interstate spur, such as US 45 from the Richfield Interchange to West Bend, as this current section in Milwaukee will never see "interstate light of day", so to speak.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: merrycilantro on July 11, 2013, 08:59:08 AM
I really see only 2 possibilities when it comes to current US41 in Milwaukee County. I agree with those that say it will be signed as WIS 175 because at the Appleton Avenue interchange the 175 designation would just in theory continue southeastward, and end at National Ave (WIS 59). WIS 341 is only 1 mile long, and should really just be absorbed by 175, but the other possibility is that they "lengthen" WIS 341 by following "Old 41" up the Stadium and then Appleton Ave. I would really only see this option if they are figuring on upgrading this route but let's face it, with all the NIMBY's in the Milwaukee area that nixed as many of the planned freeways as they did in the 1970's, I could see them deconstructing the Stadium over upgrading it, and turning it into an "urban boulevard". Regardless, I would guess 175 over 341. Let's save 341 for a potential interstate spur, such as US 45 from the Richfield Interchange to West Bend, as this current section in Milwaukee will never see "interstate light of day", so to speak.

There is absolutely no reason to upgrade anything along the current US-41 route on the north side of Milwaukee County.  The Stadium Freeway was a bad idea then, and it is a bad idea now.

Extending WI-175 over US-41 and WI-341 makes the most sense.  (I argued for that when they removed US-41 from the streets on the south side of the County years ago.)

merrycilantro

I agree, Milwaukee needs a northern Bypass over a mid-county Stadium Freeway...or something like a northern bypass...since the only thing it'd get really is an upgraded WIS 60, but that's another thread. Oh, and perhaps another Western Bypass (Think WIS 164) from future I-41 to...well, I-94/41 around say Racine, with the reasoning being all the development in Waukesha County. Since there's no plans to extend the freeway in the future, I'd be on board with decommission. That is an instance where an "urban boulevard" would be acceptible (not Former Mayor John Norquist's dream of diverting I-94 onto I-894 and turning old I-94 into the urban boulevard) But I digress...

Does anybody have information about the I-69 Chicago issue I've been reading where portions of I-94 are being designated as *don't quote me* spurs of I-69? I've read that on this thread and gotten confused by it, like is 69 being substituted on 94?

FightingIrish

Quote from: merrycilantro on July 11, 2013, 08:59:08 AM

The Stadium Freeway, like the Fond Du Lac Freeway (STH 145) is a stump highway that never got finished. Nonetheless, I see no reason to dismantle it. It still carries significant traffic to the north side, though that traffic does bottleneck on Lisbon between there and Appleton Av. But in its current form, it does carry traffic quickly from North Av to I-94, Miller Park and West Milwaukee, which no other freeway around there doesn't do. Besides, given the hilly terrain going down into the Menomonee Valley, I just can't see an urban boulevard working. Might as well keep it as a freeway.

They should have finished the Fond Du Lac freeway years ago, and perhaps done a northern bypass (along the Good Hope Rd. corridor or farther north). But that won't happen, as most of those areas have already been redeveloped (aside from the barren land on the southern end of Fond Du Lac Blvd.

As for the other stump freeway, the Park East, they were right to tear that down. That was pretty useless in its truncated form, and gave the city a big section of land to redevelop.

vtk

Quote from: merrycilantro on July 11, 2013, 10:00:36 AM
Does anybody have information about the I-69 Chicago issue I've been reading where portions of I-94 are being designated as *don't quote me* spurs of I-69? I've read that on this thread and gotten confused by it, like is 69 being substituted on 94?

<offtopic>

I-94 from Chicago to Detroit is officially part of the I-69 corridor for some reason.  The law says it must be signed as I-69.  FHWA, AASHTO, and the state highway agencies involved are ignoring this, because no sane person will complain if things stay as they are.

Where this requirement can't be ignored is in Texas.  All three branches of the corridor must be signed I-69, according to this law.  It would be particularly noticeable, especially to congressmen who represent the region, not to have Interstate signs go up here.  But three I-69s signed identically (as the law requires) is also problematic.  This is why there's I-69E, I-69C, and presumably soon I-69W. 

</offtopic>
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

mgk920

Just checking the WisDOT freeway cammies, I see that all of the bandages have been removed from NB US(I)-41 at the Oshkosh Causeway (Big Lake Butte des Morts crossing), allowing full unrestricted travel, and that southbound only needs the rest of the striping to be completed for the same (likely by late Monday or Tuesday), completing the six-lane upgrade project for the Winnebago County part of the highway!

:cool:

:cheers:

Mike

DaBigE

Quote from: mgk920 on July 14, 2013, 12:02:47 PM
Just checking the WisDOT freeway cammies, I see that all of the bandages have been removed from NB US(I)-41 at the Oshkosh Causeway (Big Lake Butte des Morts crossing), allowing full unrestricted travel, and that southbound only needs the rest of the striping to be completed for the same (likely by late Monday or Tuesday), completing the six-lane upgrade project for the Winnebago County part of the highway!

Mike

That's correct. :nod:  I just drove that area yesterday (NB) and today (SB). Also the first time I've seen the new arrow/lane signs installed in WI (and not just in blueprint form)...I got mixed feelings about 'em. Seems like a lot of wasted space/extra sign area/expense for what seems to be redundant information.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Jordanah1

They are doing some landscaping on the west side if the causeway. I'm guessing a few more days until they are done. I commute over the causeway just about everyday, so I have had the privilege of watching this all come together!
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

mgk920

WASHINGTON – U.S. 41 trucking legislation is virtually barreling through Congress.

A House bill introduced a few weeks ago by U.S. Reps. Tom Petri, R-Fond du Lac, and Reid Ribble, R-Sherwood, is scheduled for committee markup Thursday. The Wisconsin Republicans plan to push for action by the full House immediately afterward.

The legislation would allow trucks currently using the highway to continue driving on it, regardless of weight, after it becomes a federal interstate. Federal law prohibits trucks weighing more than 80,000 pounds on interstate highways.

[ . . . ]

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20130715/APC0101/307150448

Mike

mgk920

Quote from: DaBigE on July 14, 2013, 09:37:08 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on July 14, 2013, 12:02:47 PM

Mike

That's correct. :nod:  I just drove that area yesterday (NB) and today (SB). Also the first time I've seen the new arrow/lane signs installed in WI (and not just in blueprint form)...I got mixed feelings about 'em. Seems like a lot of wasted space/extra sign area/expense for what seems to be redundant information.

Looks like the highway is fully open now - see: http://www.511wi.gov/Web/Cameras.aspx?countyfilter=Winnebago then scroll down to "US 41 @ US 45".

The path on the east side of the highway, as well as the landscaping, will be completed in fall.

:clap:

BTW, WisDOT installed similar 'arrow' signs (prescribed in the latest federal MUTCD) on US(I)-41 between College Ave (WI 125) and Wisconsin Ave (WI 96) here in the Appleton area last year, too.

Mike

Big John

Quote from: mgk920 on July 16, 2013, 02:08:12 PM

Looks like the highway is fully open now - see: http://www.511wi.gov/Web/Cameras.aspx?countyfilter=Winnebago then scroll down to "US 41 @ US 45".

The path on the east side of the highway, as well as the landscaping, will be completed in fall.

:clap:

Mike

And back to 65 MPH in all of Winnebago County

http://www.us41wisconsin.gov/flex/NewsUS41LBDMbridge130716.1205

Jordanah1

next up in Winnebago county is the reconstruction of the HWY G overpass http://us41wisconsin.gov/flex/MediaAlert_CtyGoverpass_7813.1201
its my understanding that CTY G, GG, and Y will all be reconstructed within the next 4-5 years, though I was under the assumption that they may be widened, at least so they have shoulders, if not being 4 lanes wide should the roads connecting to them be upgraded to 4 lanes. however, it appears that the CTY G overass is only getting a redecking.
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

DaBigE

Quote from: mgk920 on July 16, 2013, 02:08:12 PM
BTW, WisDOT installed similar 'arrow' signs (prescribed in the latest federal MUTCD) on US(I)-41 between College Ave (WI 125) and Wisconsin Ave (WI 96) here in the Appleton area last year, too.

I remember looking at the plansheets for those when they went out for letting. Unintentionally, I skipped that segment of 41 when I was in Appleton...got off at Prospect coming into town (for the Pierce Manufacturing anniversary celebration), got back on at Wisconsin Ave when heading home.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Fox 11 News

mgk920

Quote from: Fox 11 News on July 19, 2013, 11:34:35 AM
A few days late, but story on US41 in Oshkosh opening:
http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/local/fox_cities/all-lanes-of-us-41-in-winnebago-co-open

I note that there is a segment in there with video of a sped-up drive across the causeway (southbound) - VERY RoadGeeky™!

:nod:

Mike

Revive 755

I've been wondering lately that given the construction on I-94 in Illinois at the split with US 41 and because the construction will requiring placing new overhead signs if Illinois will end up signing I-41 before Wisconsin does.

mgk920

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 20, 2013, 10:50:24 PM
I've been wondering lately that given the construction on I-94 in Illinois at the split with US 41 and because the construction will requiring placing new overhead signs if Illinois will end up signing I-41 before Wisconsin does.

Well, the bill to 'grandfather' US 41's big-rig weight limits is finding little resistance in Congress, so early to mid 2014 sounds likely in Wisconsin.  Maybe IDOT will leave blank spaces in their relevant BGSes for the shields to go.  OTOH, one '[US 41] follow [I-41]' sign by the northbound merge, an 'END/I-41' sign by the southbound split and a couple of reassurance signs wouldn't take long nor cost all that much to put in.  It also doesn't take all that long to drill out some rivets in order to modify a BGS.

I'd be interested in seeing how it will be signed by the interchange on Russell Rd.

Mike

SEWIGuy

Do we have definitive word that US-41 will "disappear" between the IL border and Green Bay? 

mgk920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 21, 2013, 11:56:19 AM
Do we have definitive word that US-41 will "disappear" between the IL border and Green Bay?

Nothing definitive, but from what I'm seeing regarding WisDOT's signing practices, especially with BGSes, my best guess is that US 41 will be 'hidden'.  Note that there is no reserved blank space on any of their signs, even the newest BGSes on the Oshkosh Causeway, for additional route shields.  I'm looking for crews to drill out the rivets holding the 'US' signs on and swap them for 'I' signs when that time comes.

Contrast this to what MODOT did for signing on US 71 before it became I-49.

Mike

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

FightingIrish

So, when US 41 (Appleton Av) in Milwaukee gets resigned as a different route, does that mean that they'll uproot this classic sign?

agentsteel53

Quote from: FightingIrish on July 22, 2013, 11:14:38 AM
So, when US 41 (Appleton Av) in Milwaukee gets resigned as a different route, does that mean that they'll uproot this classic sign?

that street appears to be under city maintenance.  the sign is so old that it appears the state has forgotten about it.  it likely will not be replaced as part of a state-highway renumbering, but rather when the City of Milwaukee next decides to make improvements to the street.

there are some straggler US-16 shields on county roads in Wisconsin which fall into the same category: forgotten by the state, ignored by the city or county.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.