News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Traffic Control / Re: Road Sign UNO
Last post by formulanone - Today at 07:49:59 AM
Connecticut 184 in Groton:

Off-Topic / Re: Is there any unusual billb...
Last post by DandyDan - Today at 06:38:01 AM
There's the Hell Is Real billboard on I-71 which lends its name to the soccer rivalry between Cincinnati and Columbus.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_Is_Real_derby
Northeast / Re: Connecticut News
Last post by Ted$8roadFan - Today at 06:12:06 AM
Re: CT-9 in Middletown, I don't think a lack of funding is the issue as much as it is a lack of consensus about how best to get rid of the signals at CT-17 and CT-66.
General Highway Talk / Re: Google Maps just fucking S...
Last post by Amaury - Today at 05:39:01 AM
Working fine for me.
General Highway Talk / Re: Google Maps just fucking S...
Last post by kkt - Today at 03:32:40 AM
Highway numbers are not shown in Google Maps now?  I looked at Rainier, Oregon, and no route numbers show up even for I-5, I zoom in and I zoom out and still no route numbers.  Clicking directly on I-5 makes its number come up in a popup but lesser highways do not.  I looked at the roads around Seattle and the same thing happens.  None of the highways show up labeled, major interstates can be clicked on to show the number in a popup box but never labelled in the main map.
Northwest / Re: I-5 Columbia River Crossin...
Last post by Bruce - Today at 03:14:21 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 18, 2024, 10:45:52 PMCouple [hypothetical] questions about tolling, after spending lots of time in Japan where tollbooths with cash payment are still very much the norm...

Would there be a cash tolling option? Something like the Narrows Bridge, where the mainlines continue straight-on with an electronic or pay-by-mail option, and a tollbooth off to the side for those wanting to pay by cash. I worry an interstate bridge would have so much more non-local traffic, having all of those people getting tolls in the mail would get exhausting. Alternatively, they need to institute an Illinois-style system where you can pay online after passing through.

Also, who will manage the tolling system, WSDOT or ODOT? I assume WSDOT since they have so much more experience with tolling.

The current plan according to this article is to treat it similar to SR 520: electronic tolling with Good to Go and a mail option, no tollbooths.
Pacific Southwest / Re: California
Last post by FredAkbar - Today at 02:18:20 AM
Quote from: pderocco on May 18, 2024, 08:03:21 PM
Quote from: FredAkbar on May 18, 2024, 06:11:53 PMAs the owner of a plug-in hybrid, I don't see how it would even work in my case. I can switch between electric and gas at any time, or even a blend of the two. It would be hard to discern just the electric miles driven for taxation purposes, though the car I believe does make this ratio available in the display somewhere.
That's another problem that would be solved by taxing electricity from chargers.

Taxing superchargers seems sensible by that logic, but many EV/PHEV owners charge at home, often from a regular 120V outlet. There's no analogue to that for gasoline.
Northwest / Re: I-5 Columbia River Crossin...
Last post by Bickendan - Today at 01:45:22 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 17, 2024, 03:39:03 PMImplementation of tolls in places where tolling has not been used before is genuinely a hard sell. That is probably the case with the proposed tolling of the new Interstate Bridge. If there were better ways to fund the Interstate Bridge Replacement other than charging tolls (about $6 billion), I'm sure it would have been implemented by now. There, of course, is always the issue of shunpiking. However, with the lack of alternative bridges in the vicinity, shunpiking might not be an option. Aside from the Interstate 205 Glenn L. Jackson Memorial Bridge, the next closest road bridges are the OR 433 Lewis and Clark Bridge in Rainer, and the Bridge of the Gods in Cascade Locks.
Nitpick: The Lewis and Clark Bridge is WA 433, not OR 433, on both sides of the river. The roadway on the berm between the bridgedeck itself and US 30 is not WA 433 but is part of the ORH 92 ramp/connector system, however.
Off-Topic / Re: Most irritating emoji
Last post by Molandfreak - Today at 12:18:57 AM
🍑 for sure. Remember when it was replaced with a normal-looking peach for a while but they changed it back because of public outcry? I can never use the emoji for my favorite fruit because of its other connotations!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.