News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Highway Talk / Re: Novel lane markings?
Last post by pderocco - Today at 12:42:47 AM
Quote from: vdeane on July 24, 2024, 09:09:42 PMI think it's worth emphasizing that these double double yellow lines aren't just for emphasis or to "deter" people making left turns.  When I said that legally they're the same as a jersey barrier, I meant it.  As in, if a cop sees you make a left turn across one, you'll get a ticket.  This actually happened to one of my driver's ed teachers!
In this case, though, the break in the double double still leaves a single double, but you're allowed to cross it to and from the side of the highway that has the break. This seems to me the sort of thing that needs to be legally defined somewhere, and publicized so that people know the rules. Which was the point of my original question.
General Highway Talk / Re: Clinching Border Crossing ...
Last post by Konza - Today at 12:08:57 AM
Quote from: dlsterner on July 24, 2024, 05:19:06 PMBesides, what if you get off the highway at a diamond interchange because you need to get gas (or to eat, or to pee)?  Do you have to somehow figure out how to drive the section of the mainline you missed because of the interchange in order to maintain a pristine clinch?

If you get off and then get back on at the same intersection or interchange, as far as I am concerned you have clinched the segment.  Especially in the case of limited access highways, the entrance/exit ramps and frontage roads are part of the main route.  Ditto with rest areas.  If the main road was not there, the ramps, frontage roads, and rest areas would not be there, either.
Weather / Re: What's your weather curren...
Last post by Hunty2022 - July 24, 2024, 11:48:13 PM
81 and windy/cloudy as I'm on my hotel balcony watching a storm in the ocean.
Traffic Control / Re: Road Sign UNO
Last post by Henry - July 24, 2024, 11:25:16 PM
TCH 16, the Yellowhead Highway:

General Highway Talk / Re: Smaller-scale stack interc...
Last post by Henry - July 24, 2024, 11:21:08 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on July 24, 2024, 12:53:01 AM
Quote from: lepidopteran on July 24, 2024, 12:14:00 AMIn Baltimore, the mini-stack of I-83 and W 28th/W 29th/Druid Park Lake Dr. is like this.  It's a matter of the interchange being shoehorned in between a lake/park, the Jones Falls river, and the light-rail line.

Would this and I-696/Mound Road in Warren, MI be the only two stack/stack-type interchanges out there with surface streets?
I'd like to think so, although most of Mound Road was built with a very large median that could accommodate a future freeway. The I-83 example might give off the impression that a freeway was once planned for the 28th/29th Street corridor, which would never happen with the NIMBY neighborhood in its path.

In Chicago, the Dan Ryan/Stevenson junction (I-90/I-94 at I-55 for the uninformed) is sort of like this. It's a bit unusual in that the ramps are posted at 30 MPH due to their steep nature, a rarity for all-Interstate connections. But given that it hasn't been updated much since it was built 60 years ago, it would certainly qualify.
Sports / Re: General NBA thread
Last post by Henry - July 24, 2024, 11:06:40 PM
I listened to the two themes you mentioned, and they sound nothing like the theme I remember that's on FOX now (well, they did include a snippet of the original melody, but otherwise, it feels like a completely different song). For comparison purposes, let's do three versions of the CBS college hoops theme (the 1993 original, the 2004 remake, and the 2021 update):

At least the current theme stays faithful to the classic one.
Off-Topic / Re: Do universities still let ...
Last post by kkt - July 24, 2024, 10:23:33 PM
Transfer credits work pretty well here.  Perhaps it depends on your state.  Yes, that is something to investigate thoroughly before you decide where to  go.

A gap year is a good idea too, unless you're already absolutely sure what you want to do.  And who is, at 18?

General Highway Talk / Re: Novel lane markings?
Last post by jeffandnicole - July 24, 2024, 10:18:42 PM
NJ has a double-double yellow on US 322 for about 20 miles.  The width is about 8 feet apart with a rumble strip down the middle.  Unlike other states, NJ doesn't have a law or other restriction regarding left turns across double-double yellows, and many motorists will use it as a narrow 2 way left turn lane.  However, at intersections with traffic lights, in most cases no left turns are permitted as jughandles off to the right are available.
General Highway Talk / Re: Clinching Border Crossing ...
Last post by Rothman - July 24, 2024, 10:13:06 PM
Quote from: Konza on July 24, 2024, 09:22:57 PMI'm leaning on Travel Mapping on this one.

If Travel Mapping says you need to go to the border, you need to go to the border.

I clinched I-94 earlier this week.  I needed to cross the Blue Water Bridge to do so.

There are a couple of routes in Arizona that I have not clinched because the southernmost segment goes to the border and I did not want to drive across it.  It would probably be easier to park on the US side and walk into Nogales or Aqua Prieta than it would be to do everything necessary to drive there.

Eh, TM is very approximate.  It's better to do aome research in the iffier situations.
Traffic Control / Re: State Sign Drawings Books ...
Last post by CtrlAltDel - July 24, 2024, 09:49:27 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 06, 2022, 09:05:15 PMIt looks like the Illinois manual moved to a different URL; either that, or the IDOT website is one of the most user-unfriendly websites I have ever seen.  The page posted has a ton of links on it, and this is one of them; but why sift through that when you have this shortcut:

https://idot.illinois.gov/Assets/uploads/files/Doing-Business/Manuals-Guides-&-Handbooks/Highways/Construction/ISHSBook.pdf

It seems like it has moved again.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.