News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Button Copy: A new theme

Started by Scott5114, August 11, 2009, 01:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

I had considered that, but ultimately settled on the single lens, as it is easier to see the difference in a large on/off light than the more subtle variance in a stoplight. Also, most forums use some type of on/off metaphor for their index page (heck, look at the default theme), so it's clearer than the stoplights, which might make someone go "Stop? Go? Oh, the green lights have new posts."

I remember one of the old themes during the Cody administration used interstate shields for new posts and US shields for no new posts. I remember seeing that design choice being lambasted on MTR for being "too complex". And this is from a roadgeek...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Scott5114

QuoteI'm not able to get it to come up. :-/

Where are you having trouble?

US71

OK, I finally figured it out... I was looking in the wrong place  :pan:

The "quote" function isn't working, BTW, but I think someone already mentioned that ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mightyace

I like the font, link and emoticons on the quick reply section at the bottom of the page.  In part because, going that route is the only way that Preview seems to work for me.

If that's added to button copy, I'll use it.  Otherwise, I'll stay with what I've been using.

EDIT:
QuoteI remember one of the old themes during the Cody administration used interstate shields for new posts and US shields for no new posts. I remember seeing that design choice being lambasted on MTR for being "too complex". And this is from a roadgeek...

Personally, I love that.  There is no mistaking one for the other.  That is why I'm still using the Alina theme.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

US71

Just a thought:

Green Arrow: new topic/new message

Red ball: no new posts

Or is that too complicated?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mightyace

^^^

I like it.  And, it should handle the red/green colorblind issue because you'd still see an arrow versus a ball.

Scott5114

But arrow = "new posts" and ball = "no new posts" is still a non-obvious analogy. You'd have to look at the legend at the bottom to determine which is which. Using an on/off mechanism follows the Rule of Least Surprise1, since most other forums use that analogy to demarcate between "new posts" and "no new posts".

Let's put it this way... is there anyone actually having a problem using it with the way it is now? Any reason to change it other than "wouldn't it be neat doing it this way"?

1. Raymond, Eric S. The Art of Unix Programming. Addison-Wesley/Pearson Education, 2004.

SSOWorld

The chat controls are back in play! :sombrero:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mightyace

I noticed that in the AARoads Info Center at the bottom of the page that Recent Posts is missing.  (It is there in Alina)  Is there some setting I need to change, is it a bug or is it not supposed to be there in Button Copy?

SSOWorld

probably not - we just need to add that back in perhaps... :crazy:

Are you sure? :-D
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

agentsteel53

I use "Recent Posts" as my primary view; helps me keep up with everything with the least amount of clicking.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

Hmm, now the "Recent Posts" are only showing the most recent 5.  I thought it used to show at least the last 10.

Also, the quick edit () function isn't working on the default theme.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 12, 2009, 09:24:44 PM
Hmm, now the "Recent Posts" are only showing the most recent 5.  I thought it used to show at least the last 10.

I'm now thinking it used to be the most recent 20 posts. lol.  Because 10 just doesn't seem to be right to me.  But, as I said, it just might be me and it might have use to be 10.  If it was 10 in the past, just ignore me. LOL.

roadfro

The bright green used in the box at the bottom of the topic listings would probably look better with the darker green that is used underneath the AA Roads logo--it would tie the rest of the page together. Right now, that bright green is really used in just one place.

Other than that, I think the Button Copy theme looks good.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Ubeans2001

Wow... Love the theme so far with the loo of the signs being stuck together... anyways it'd be cool if the fonts were actually button copy letterings... I know it may seem like a lot to do but it'd be cool.
Road geek since 1999

Scott5114

QuoteThe bright green used in the box at the bottom of the topic listings would probably look better with the darker green that is used underneath the AA Roads logo--it would tie the rest of the page together. Right now, that bright green is really used in just one place.

Would you believe those are actually the same image file? It's just in the bars beneath the AARoads logo, they're squished so much you can't really pick out the bright green, but on the box at the bottom it stretches the gradient out over so long a distance you can easily tell the bright green is there.

rickmastfan67

Alright, I think I just noticed something that nobody else has yet.  In the area for each of the "tabs" that show "Home, Help, Search, ect", when you're on one of those sections, it shows up in Blue.  That's the same as the default SMF theme.  Don't know if that was done on purpose or not.

WillWeaverRVA

Now using this instead of HighWay. Looks sharp. :D
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

hbelkins

Just how do you change the theme, anyway? I can't find how to do that.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on August 24, 2009, 10:14:36 AM
Just how do you change the theme, anyway? I can't find how to do that.
go into your profile, under the Modify Profile box on the left, click "Look and Layout Preferences"

The first item in the page is "Current Theme"
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Scott5114

This is now our default theme. Thanks for your feedback, guys!

If you have trouble getting it to show up do a hard refresh on your browser. Ctrl+Shift+R on Firefox, Shift+F5 on IE, F5 on Konqueror. Mac and Opera users should be intelligent enough to figure it out on their own!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.