News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Hi there, I'm Franks from Montréal !

Started by Franks, February 23, 2010, 01:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franks

Hi everyone !

My name's Franks I'm from Montréal, Québec.

I'm new in this forum and I'm really interrested by roads, highways and geography.
I'll be glad to talk with you about roads and everything.

First, I want to thanks one of my friend who invite me in this forum : CatofDar !

Second, about me : I'm a building drawer/drafter who's actually looking for a job on this.
I finished school last november 2009.
At age 21, I'm a road geek, but with a lack of money actually, this hobbie isn't on my priority !!

Finally, as you probably see, english isn't my first language, but I'm making big efforts on this way.

Greetings from Montréal !
----------------------------

----------------------------
Franks.
Ne restreins jamais le champ du possible aux limites de ton imaginaire...[Antony Bouchardon]

<< My youtube space >>
http://www.youtube.com/user/Franks4488


Truvelo

Bienvenue Franks :colorful:

Is that your photograph? It captures a nice distinction between the older buildings and newer tower blocks.
Speed limits limit life

Franks

-
#2
Merci Truvelo  ;-)

Nah, that's not my picture ! ... But I did some pretty cool shoot of the city last years. So one day I could show you all of this ^^
You're from where in UK ? I knew someone from the county durham in northern UK.

Franks.

Ne restreins jamais le champ du possible aux limites de ton imaginaire...[Antony Bouchardon]

<< My youtube space >>
http://www.youtube.com/user/Franks4488

Ian

Welcome!

Montreal is a neat city. Can't wait until I can go back again. The province of Quebec has a lot of cool signs and their traffic signals are pretty cool too.

Ian
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Franks

Thanks !  :D
Montréal is pretty cool yeah, but a little bit too cold in winter ( not this one ! ) and our roads have a certain lack of maintenance I think. But the MTQ is trying to push up our roads quality. He will spend 4 500 000 000 $ this year !

But in general it's a cool place !

What type of traffic signal do you love? I tought that all of our road signs were a little bit like US are... so give me an example with a picture  ;-)...

Franks.
Ne restreins jamais le champ du possible aux limites de ton imaginaire...[Antony Bouchardon]

<< My youtube space >>
http://www.youtube.com/user/Franks4488

Alex

Welcome to the board Franks! I visited Montreal back in 1995 and did a little bit of roadding and a little bit of sight seeing. I wouldn't mind going back for a visit, but I probably would focus on non-road stuff more than anything.

Ian

Quote from: Franks on February 23, 2010, 06:11:23 PM
Thanks !  :D
Montréal is pretty cool yeah, but a little bit too cold in winter ( not this one ! ) and our roads have a certain lack of maintenance I think. But the MTQ is trying to push up our roads quality. He will spend 4 500 000 000 $ this year !

But in general it's a cool place !

What type of traffic signal do you love? I tought that all of our road signs were a little bit like US are... so give me an example with a picture  ;-)...

Franks.

I love the cold! I live in Philadelphia, PA, but vacation in New Hampshire every summer and winter, so I am used to it.

I really like that Quebec has double red signals. They have them in a few other maritime provinces, but Quebec does it the best. Plus, new signals have shaped lenses...

(QC 132 east/est at QC 209 in Saint-Constant)

I have a Picasa album with Quebec signs and signals (a lot in Montreal) if you want to check it out...
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/QuebecCanadaTrafficSignalsAndRoadSigns#

This was before I learned all the techniques for good road photography, so that is why most photos have reflections and bug smears.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

un1

Welcome Franks! (always nice to see another Canadian around  ;-))

Anyways, you're very welcome to come to the Canada board and stay there, we have tons of vacancy!
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.


Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

Truvelo

Quote from: Franks on February 23, 2010, 01:52:41 PM
Merci Truvelo  ;-)

^^
You're from where in UK ? I knew someone from the county durham in northern UK.

Franks.

I'm about 150 miles south of Durham but I was there on Saturday when I took this picture showing some snow still on the ground.
Speed limits limit life

Franks

Thank you AAroads : I wish you back round here pretty soon ^^

I hate cold temperature probably because I live here LOL ... and thats probably for why my favourite US states are CA, FL and TX ! :D ... Are you skiing in NH every winter then ? I know that Jay peak not pretty far of this place is really popular.
I do snowboard and I'm generaly going in laurantians ( Mont-Tremblant )
For the red signal... duno what the hell this is changing than rather with only one ! ... but yeah it is cool, maybe better than yours wich is hanging by a threath ! :P ( duno if they're all like that )

Your picasa space is cool ! ... is that you under the ''Arrêt'' signal ? you looks young ! ( it's a quality :D )
But you're a good photographer, I will certainly show you mine pretty soon ( cause I went in NYC for the new year )

Franks.

Ne restreins jamais le champ du possible aux limites de ton imaginaire...[Antony Bouchardon]

<< My youtube space >>
http://www.youtube.com/user/Franks4488

Ian

#10
Quote from: Franks on February 23, 2010, 06:31:25 PM
I hate cold temperature probably because I live here LOL ... and thats probably for why my favourite US states are CA, FL and TX ! :D ... Are you skiing in NH every winter then ? I know that Jay peak not pretty far of this place is really popular.
I do snowboard and I'm generaly going in laurantians ( Mont-Tremblant )
For the red signal... duno what the hell this is changing than rather with only one ! ... but yeah it is cool, maybe better than yours wich is hanging by a threath ! :P ( duno if they're all like that )

Your picasa space is cool ! ... is that you under the ''Arrêt'' signal ? you looks young ! ( it's a quality :D )
But you're a good photographer, I will certainly show you mine pretty soon ( cause I went in NYC for the new year )

Franks.

We do sometimes ski in New Hampshire, but not always. We have a house on Lake Winnipesaukee, and snow comes in the truck loads (great if you like snowmobiling and ice fishing). We also have family members who own a house in the Adirondack Mountains in New York, on Lake George. We go skiing around there at Gore Mountain, which is northwest of Warrensburg.

As for the shape lenses, I think this may have just started, and I think only a few signal compainies do this, because I have seen new installs without the shapes.

For signals on span wires, they seem to be limited more to the eastern part of the US, with some other western states that do it. I know New York, Maine, and Vermont love to use them.

Yup, that is me under the Arret sign. I am young, I am only 14 years old ;).

And thanks! Photographing roads have become a very good hobby for me. I have been doing it for a few years now (thanks to going on a bunch of family trips, hehe). Have you checked out the other albums I have? I try getting the best quality shots I have (I'll go nuts if I get a blurry shot ;-) ). And I would like to see your NYC album!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Franks

Un1 : Thanks!  ... I whould be happy to see some pictures of T.B. ... never seen it before ! ...and I want to know if this city is growing this year ? I know that the city was recently losing people and also, if they're doing or planning new roads around in T.B. ?

Thanks truvelo , Nice picture !
Ne restreins jamais le champ du possible aux limites de ton imaginaire...[Antony Bouchardon]

<< My youtube space >>
http://www.youtube.com/user/Franks4488

Franks

-
#12
PennDOTFan : north of NY state , VT and NH are a pretty cool place for vacation all along the year cause it's a plenty of mountains , lakes , a little beautifull scenic villages ! I visited vermont last year, I went to Burlington and Montpelier, and VT is sooooooo cool ! remind me around Sherbrooke in Quebec,... yup looks the same.

You're 14, Oh god , that whould say that I'm getting older ... NOOOOO ! :P ... but you'll see , time is going really fast ! I can remember the time when I was at you age like it was yesterday !

I did not have checked others but I will.

But what is the expression : I'll go nuts? .... remind me vince the slap chop : You'll like my nutts ! take an eggs.... AHAHAH ... all right :P

And oh.... Nice squirel ! This one should LOVE nutts I'm sure ^^

I have a youtube space : http://www.youtube.com/user/Franks4488

Franks.


Ne restreins jamais le champ du possible aux limites de ton imaginaire...[Antony Bouchardon]

<< My youtube space >>
http://www.youtube.com/user/Franks4488

mightyace

Welcome.

Quote from: Franks on February 23, 2010, 01:18:30 PM
Finally, as you probably see, english isn't my first language, but I'm making big efforts on this way.

Don't worry about it.  You written English is better than many of our posters who I know English is their native tongue.  :-D
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Franks

Quote from: mightyace on February 23, 2010, 07:09:33 PM
Welcome.

Quote from: Franks on February 23, 2010, 01:18:30 PM
Finally, as you probably see, english isn't my first language, but I'm making big efforts on this way.

Don't worry about it.  You written English is better than many of our posters who I know English is their native tongue.  :-D

Ahah thanks ! ^^ ... but if I'm not making mistakes in words, I'll miss some words or doing some wrong sentences... but anyway I love learning languages ... like spanish or german... It's something which is really important for me, this might be opening someone to the world !
Ne restreins jamais le champ du possible aux limites de ton imaginaire...[Antony Bouchardon]

<< My youtube space >>
http://www.youtube.com/user/Franks4488

Ian

Quote from: Franks on February 23, 2010, 07:06:21 PM
You're 14, Oh god , that whould say that I'm getting older ... NOOOOO ! :P ... but you'll see , time is going really fast ! I can remember the time when I was at you age like it was yesterday !

Yup, 14! I may be young, but I do have a huge fascination in roads, signs, and traffic signals. I have changed appearance wise since that photo was taken (2008). My hair is shorter, and I have lost just a little bit of weight ;-).

Quote from: Franks on February 23, 2010, 07:06:21 PM
And oh.... Nice squirel ! This one should LOVE nutts I'm sure ^^

I have a youtube space : http://www.youtube.com/user/Franks4488

Franks.

Thanks :-D. Squirrels may seem like bad pets, but if you keep it long enough, you will get used to it and will treat it as part of the family. And yes, it likes nuts ;-).

I will be sure to see your youtube later on, but I first have to figure out why my computer won't access it at the moment :banghead:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Franks

#16
I think it's a good hobbie, cause it's always something who's moving and changing, and then, I'm also a fan of architecture ( wich is why I'm working on this ) ... and the question to me was : you have tons of hobbies, but wich one of them whould you take as a REAL job? ... and I did a choice : building drafter... so I duno if you whould be a road worker, drawer, of just a driver !

I'm nutt ( Lol ) really use to squirels as a pet ! but I'm sure as you say, that you could become use to. I know that in Montréal, there's some squirels, and they're approaching peoples who wants to nourish them by hands... and so I'm surprised that they're not afraid !

Thanks ! I've a lot of videos... and the last one were better cause I found how to work on my videos with Windows movie maker, but the first I did were more short and less good. And I got some trouble with Y.T. today too ! he said something like : google is not able to open blablabla... come back in 30 seconds...

Franks.
Ne restreins jamais le champ du possible aux limites de ton imaginaire...[Antony Bouchardon]

<< My youtube space >>
http://www.youtube.com/user/Franks4488

mhallack

Hi Franks,

I've only been to Montreal once, but love it up there. Usually we stay in Quebec City, and hoping to get up there again soon. Me and the family love Quebec.

Mike

Hellfighter

Welcome to the board, Franks! I want to go visit Quebec someday...



Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.