SIGNS FOR SALE OR TRADE

Started by ctsignguy, March 01, 2009, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctsignguy

After talking with Alex in Chat, i decided to start up this thread (feel free to make it independent) for us actual collectors to post our wish lists and hopefully, add to our collections without adding to ebay's coffers....

My wishlists:

Interstate (all state-named): Mississippi.  North Carolina, Florida, Louisiana, Maryland, Washington, Oregon, Utah, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Rhode Island Hawaii, Delaware, District of Columbia,

US (state named)  New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Maryland, District of Columbia, Georgia, Mew Mexico, W. Virginia, New York, North Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi,  California, Washington, Oregon, Oklahoma, North Dakota, Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah

State Route:  Delaware, Mississippi, Rhode Island, Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, Kentucky, District of Columbia

Hope somebody out there can help me with a couple of these....

Thanks!
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Ian

So just post what we would like here? OKAY!

For my wishlist I would really love a US 9W sign from NY and an I-787 (NY) sign (state name prefered, but its okay if its not). Also, if you have a New York Thruway or an I-476 sign, that would be great.

Thanks and nice idea!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

yanksfan6129

I'm interested in starting a collection, but I have no clue where to begin. Obviously I can't trade, does anyone have signs for sale?

un1

I only have Canadian signs and I'm not willing to share them.  :-D
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

ctsignguy

well, yes and no.

the whole idea behind this thread was that if any of us had surplus signs to sell, and a fellow signgeek was in the market for said same, that we could email each other privately and reach a deal without involving eBay, PayPal , and their fees....

if you are a seller, eBay can be a great thing....if you are a buyer, not so good...
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

yanksfan6129

Anyone selling any NJ Road signs?

Ian

well true. as long as I get an I-787 or a nice old US 9W sign, i don't care where i get it  :-D
Youtube l Flickr

Ian

Also, if anyone has an I-93 (state named prefered) sign from New Hampshire or an I-95 or I-295 (state named) from Maine, that would be awesome  :colorful:. Also, anyone have any New Hampshire route shields to sell? If you can, I would like the sign to be a bit weathered, cause thats how I like signs  ;-) :nod:

thanks!!!  :spin:
Youtube l Flickr

Alex

Quote from: I.C.Ligget on March 04, 2009, 11:51:20 PM
Also, if anyone has an I-93 (state named prefered) sign from New Hampshire or an I-95 or I-295 (state named) from Maine, that would be awesome  :colorful:. Also, anyone have any New Hampshire route shields to sell? If you can, I would like the sign to be a bit weathered, cause thats how I like signs  ;-) :nod:

thanks!!!  :spin:

You'll pay a pretty penny to get a state-named shield for Interstate 93 in NH. You can pretty much assume that of any state that has gone the neutered route for several decades.

Ian

Well, I can save   :cool: . Well Maine won't be to bad since they still install state named shields  :nod:
Youtube l Flickr

Alex

Best thing to do for a I-93 NH shield is to have a sign company manufacture one to authentic specs. Trying to find one otherwise will be very difficult and probably result in $150 or more in costs.

Ian

$150!!!!!!!!!!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:  Well theres still that I-787 and US 9W sign  :D
Youtube l Flickr

Alex

Quote from: I.C.Ligget on March 05, 2009, 04:40:25 PM
$150!!!!!!!!!!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:  Well theres still that I-787 and US 9W sign  :D

Interstate 787 likely would go for similar rates, considering the rarity of state-named shields in the Empire State. U.S. 9W would be cheaper because its just a plain U.S. highway shield. Where to find one for sale or trade is your next move.  :spin:

Ian

well there always a non-state named sign. Finding one is gonna be really tough. Ebay is one place, but the seller usually knows nothing about the sign and puts a new shield for like $300. NOT kidding. Hopefully a member here can help me out  :D. At the most part I'd like a I-787 or a US 9W, but I'd also like any NH shield or an I-476 sign  :colorful:
Youtube l Flickr

Alex

Go through Jake for authentic custom signs. He crafted me an Interstate 4 Florida 18x18" shield and a embossed U.S. 122 Delaware cutout that look great.

ctsignguy

Quote from: I.C.Ligget on March 05, 2009, 04:25:42 PM
Well, I can save   :cool: . Well Maine won't be to bad since they still install state named shields  :nod:

Only problem with Maine is they wont pass signs to collectors any longer.

The story i got last fall from the guy in the Maine sign shop was that a new version Maine Turnpike sign got on ebay...and a Turnpike commissioner saw it and had both him and the Tpke Sign Shop guy on his carpet demanding to know what happened....the Tpke guy admitted collectors came up to poke through his scrap piles for signs and that might be how one got away....both guys were told in NO uncertain terms that 'there will be no more of that!"...the guy politely declined my offers of trade (new blanks for used shields, or pay MDOT to make the signs for me on my blanks)

Right now, Maine, Rhody and New Hampshire are essentially closed to sign collectors (although you can order new signs from the NH State Prison sign shop....i ordered two and they are nice)  Vermont is OK as long as you dont go gonzo on them by grabbing hundreds or put your takings on eBay...Mass and Connecticut depends upon where you go...some are friendly to us, others are not.  Dont know about NY, i pretty much got what i need...NJ i lucked out but their stuff is fairly recent...but i wouldnt count on it for long.  PA, i dont know, but the reports i have are not hopeful

MY NH I-93 cost me a lot...it was Joehler's last NH in more ways than one...and it was worth it to me....

here is one of the prison shops efforts....current style NH sign

good luck to you

Ian

I might go for an I-83 sign thats on eBay. Its not state named or anything, but its kinda cool, has the 3M reflective sheeting  :cool: and on the back, I believe it has the Maryland Dept. of Transportation sticker.

I'd also like to see if anyone has any New York route markers (US, interstate, and state markers).

thanks!
Youtube l Flickr

ctsignguy

If anyone wants inexpensive state signs, they are out there...you just have to take the time to hunt for them...Jake (agentsteele) snagged a cutout Oregon US 30 for an absurdly low price because the sign was badly mis-classified...

BigMattFromTexas

i want a I-35 sign
and a Trans-Canada 1 sign

Scott5114

So what's the best way to get ahold of a state highway shield if you don't care if it's used or not? I'd really like to have a 2006-series Oklahoma shield (the meatcleaver), but of course I doubt they've done anything that would warrant taking down any signs since 2006. Would it be better to contact ODOT, or see about ordering a shield from a contractor? Are there any good contractors you know of that would be willing to make a state highway shield, potentially for a state a long, long way away? Or would Jake be the best bet, or is he best off for people wanting really bizarre stuff like 16x16 Missouri I-25 signs?

I was kinda named after a street in Del City, OK near my old house, so for my birthday one year I asked for a Scott Street blade sign. The Del City streets department politely informed my mom that they didn't do orders from the public and that they didn't have any scrapped that they could give me.  :no:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

florida

I "rescued" (if you want to call it that) three signs from possible scrap. Two of them were the old secondary route signs in Florida and the third was an early generation CR shield which was getting replaced. But I really do want the kodachrome U.S. shields of Florida. 
So many roads...so little time.

BigMattFromTexas

theres a I-20 texas sign on ebay for $40.00 i would get it but i have no money :(
i wish i had like $100.00

cjk374

Do states still put their names on interstate shields anymore?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Alex

Its a toss up, these states use the state name within new shields:

CA, NV, AZ, NM, CO, WY, OK, ND, IA, MO, AR, AL, SC, WV

These states sometimes put the state name in their shields, sometimes neuter them:
GA, KS, KY, NJ, CT

The rest basically neuter all assemblies.

SSOWorld

Some do. I know California, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma do.

EDIT: I guess aaroads beat me to the punch  :ded:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.