Highways with state designated names instead of numbers

Started by wxfree, June 15, 2021, 12:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wxfree

I'm looking for highways with state designated names instead of numbers.  I don't mean specialty designations, such as the one-off Texas "Beltway" or something like a "NASA Road" followed by a number, but a name with no number.

TxDOT maintains the Old San Antonio Road, which is the official designation.  It's "State Highway Old San Antonio Road" or SH OSR.  It has no number.  The highway signs show "OSR."  Its founding minute order mentions Senate Bill 570, which directed the Highway Department to provide for the preservation and identification of the Old San Antonio Road.  In 1942 it was officially designated as a state highway with that name.

How many of these are out there?  For that matter, how many state highways are designated with letters only?
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

SkyPesos

sprjus4

Wade Ave in Raleigh, NC, which serves as an interstate-grade connector between I-40 West and I-440 North, and vice versa.

I don't believe the I-564 Intermodal Connector in Norfolk, VA (which was finally finished back in January despite initially opening to port traffic all the way back in 2017 and starting construction nearly a decade ago - for a 2 mile urban freeway) has an official numerical designation either.

Scott5114

Well, there's the Oklahoma turnpike system. The Indian Nation Turnpike, Kilpatrick Turnpike, Kickapoo Turnpike, H.E. Bailey Turnpike Norman Spur and Cimarron Turnpike Stillwater Spur all carry no numbers. Oklahoma also has a number of unnumbered free state highways, which are often shown on internal ODOT maps like the Control Section Map with the number "00", but are never referred to publicly as such. Examples include the Duncan Bypass, Poteau Bypass, and Lincoln Boulevard in Oklahoma City.

Quote from: wxfree on June 15, 2021, 12:58:24 AM
For that matter, how many state highways are designated with letters only?

Guessing you haven't spent much time in Missouri, huh?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

Ontario has the QEW which is part of the 400-series routes.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

wxfree

I'm not asking about unnumbered highways that have a name in common usage or a city street name, but about highways with official designations with names and no numbers.  I wasn't thinking of turnpikes, but if they're state highways designated with a name and no number, they would count.  ODOT does seem to consider OTA turnpikes to be state highways.  From what I can find, it appears that the New York parkways count.  I'm more interested in more obscure examples, and particularly anomalies, named highways in states that don't have a system of them.

As for lettered highways, I should have worded the question more clearly.  I'm interested in how many states have a lettering system, and how many anomalies there are (lettered highways in states that don't have a lettering system).
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mapmikey

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 15, 2021, 01:03:40 AM
Wade Ave in Raleigh, NC, which serves as an interstate-grade connector between I-40 West and I-440 North, and vice versa.

I don't believe the I-564 Intermodal Connector in Norfolk, VA (which was finally finished back in January despite initially opening to port traffic all the way back in 2017 and starting construction nearly a decade ago - for a 2 mile urban freeway) has an official numerical designation either.

Wade Ave is SR 1728.

AFAIK there has yet to be any kind of route number assigned to the Intermodal Connector in Norfolk, though 30 years ago it was proposed as VA 510.

oscar

Alaska has very few highways with route numbers (not counting unposted five- or six-digit internal inventory numbers). Among the more significant unnumbered highways are the Walter Hickel parkway in Anchorage (which includes the freeway parts of Minnesota Ave. and O'Malley Rd.); the mostly-freeway Johansen Expressway in Fairbanks; paved two-lane Chena Hot Springs Rd. in Fairbanks; McCarthy Rd. and Nabesna Rd. (state-maintained mostly-unpaved two-lane roads into Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Reserve); the three unpaved highways (total about 300 miles) going west, east, and north out of Nome; and the extensive mostly-unpaved highway network on Kodiak island.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ilpt4u

Illinois used to have the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway, but it since has been given the IL-390 designation

The old "Shield"  marker, before 390:

Crediting billburmaster.com's page on IL-390 for the shield: http://www.billburmaster.com/rmsandw/illinois/state/il390.html

Then there is Truck Bypass in Chester, IL - and is shielded as such:

Crediting billburmaster.com's page on Chester Truck Bypass: http://www.billburmaster.com/rmsandw/illinois/misc/chestertruck.html

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: wxfree on June 15, 2021, 03:12:35 AM
I'm not asking about unnumbered highways that have a name in common usage or a city street name, but about highways with official designations with names and no numbers.  I wasn't thinking of turnpikes, but if they're state highways designated with a name and no number, they would count.  ODOT does seem to consider OTA turnpikes to be state highways.  From what I can find, it appears that the New York parkways count.  I'm more interested in more obscure examples, and particularly anomalies, named highways in states that don't have a system of them.

As for lettered highways, I should have worded the question more clearly.  I'm interested in how many states have a lettering system, and how many anomalies there are (lettered highways in states that don't have a lettering system).

Indianapolis has two freeway segments that have only names and no numbers: Sam Jones Expressway and Shadeland Ave. Carmel has one in Keystone Parkway. They are city maintained and not state, which is why they don't have numbers. Shadeland and Keystone have non-freeway segments that are just city streets so they may not qualify by the OP criteria, but Sam Jones Expressway is a separate entity.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SectorZ

hotdogPi

One text file I created for a Python program I created has this list:

Airport Access Road (Orlando)
Airport Connector (Dayton)
Airport Connector (Providence)
All-American Freeway (NC)
Atlantic City Expressway
Audubon Parkway (KY)
Belt Parkway/Southern State Parkway (NY)
Berkshire Connector, unnumbered segment (NY)
Bluegrass Parkway (KY)
Bronx River Parkway
Central Scranton Expressway
Chickasaw Turnpike (OK)
Chisholm Trail Parkway (TX)
Creek Turnpike (OK)
Cross County Parkway (NY)
Cross Island Parkway (NY)
Cumberland Parkway (KY)
Dallas North Tollway/Dallas North Parkway
Delta Highway (OR)
E Sky Harbor Boulevard (AZ)
Epcot Center Drive
Everett Turnpike, unnumbered segment (NH)
Falmouth Spur (ME)
FDR Drive/Harlem River Drive (NY)
Florida's Turnpike
Fort Bend Parkway (TX)
Garden State Parkway
George Washington Memorial Parkway (VA)
Gilcrease Expressway/Osage Expressway (OK)
Grand Central Parkway (NY)
Hardy Toll Road (TX)
Homestead Extension (FL)
Hutchinson River Parkway (CT)
Indian Nation Turnpike (OK)
Joseph Bryan Boulevard (NC)
Keystone Parkway (IN)
Kilpatrick Turnpike (OK)
Maine Turnpike Approach
Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway (Jacksonville, FL)
Meadowbrook Parkway (NY)
Milford Parkway (CT)
Monroe Expressway (NC)
Mountain Parkway (KY)
Muskogee Turnpike (OK)
Natcher Parkway (KY)
New Jersey Turnpike, unnumbered segment
Norman Spur Turnpike (OK)
North Spokane Corridor
Northern State Parkway (NY)
Northwest Parkway (CO)
Palisades Interstate Parkway (NJ/NY)
Peña Boulevard (CO)
President George Bush Turnpike (TX)
Purchase Parkway (KY)
Robert Moses Causeway/Sagtikos Parkway (NY)
Ronald Reagan Parkway (GA)
Sam Cooper Boulevard (TN)
Sam Jones Expressway (IN)
Sam Rayburn Tollway (DFW)
San Bernardino Freeway
Saw Mill River Parkway (NY)
Scarborough Connector (ME)
Selmon Expressway (Tampa, FL)
South Eisenhower Parkway (TX)
Sprain Brook Parkway (NY)
Stillwater Connection (OK)
Suitland Parkway (DC)
Summerlin Parkway (NV)
Taconic State Parkway (NY)
Wade Avenue (NC)
Wantagh Parkway (NY)
West Seattle Bridge
Western Kentucky Parkway
Westpark Tollway (Houston, TX)
West Wendover Avenue (NC)
World Drive (Disney World)
Wurzbach Parkway (San Antonio, TX)

Due to the way the program works, this list does not include spurs that don't connect to another freeway or a US route, such as the Lowell Connector in Massachusetts.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

SkyPesos

^
As mentioned for the NY Parkways above, KY Parkways have hidden number designations too.

And there's an unnumbered section of the Reagan Hwy in Cincinnati between I-275 and US 27/OH 126.

1995hoo

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 15, 2021, 08:53:50 AM
^
As mentioned for the NY Parkways above, KY Parkways have hidden number designations too.

And there's an unnumbered section of the Reagan Hwy in Cincinnati between I-275 and US 27/OH 126.

So does most of the George Washington Memorial Parkway–the portion in Virginia is unsigned VA-90005.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

A number of these in Vermont.  A few near me include St. Johnsbury State Highway, Fairlee State Highway, and Montpelier State Highway.  Despite what wikipedia shows, these do not have route numbers.

US 89

Quote from: 1 on June 15, 2021, 08:52:55 AM

A lot of those have numbers, though most are unsigned. Off the top of my head:

-Atlantic City Expressway is NJ 446
-Creek Turnpike is SH 364
-Florida’s Turnpike is SR 91
-GSP is NJ 444
-Muskogee Turnpike is SH 351
-NJ Turnpike “unnumbered” segment is NJ 700
-Summerlin Parkway is SR 613 (this may even be signed now?)
-Wurzbach Parkway is PA 1604, which is signed

Also, a lot of that list is city-maintained. I feel like what OP is looking for here is state-maintained roads that for whatever reason don’t have numbers assigned to them at all.

oscar

Quote from: US 89 on June 15, 2021, 10:06:05 AM
-Summerlin Parkway is SR 613 (this may even be signed now?)

Still unsigned, when I was in Vegas last summer.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

tdindy88

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 15, 2021, 07:55:26 AM
Quote from: wxfree on June 15, 2021, 03:12:35 AM

Indianapolis has two freeway segments that have only names and no numbers: Sam Jones Expressway and Shadeland Ave. Carmel has one in Keystone Parkway. They are city maintained and not state, which is why they don't have numbers. Shadeland and Keystone have non-freeway segments that are just city streets so they may not qualify by the OP criteria, but Sam Jones Expressway is a separate entity.

Sam Jones is an Indianapolis roadway so it certainly wouldn't qualify as a state highway. Also it does has non-freeway portions at the far eastern end of the roadway and at the exit with I-465, so it is properly an expressway. Also, unlike Shadeland and Keystone which were state highways at one point in their histories Sam Jones never was, only called by its old name Airport Expressway.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: SectorZ on June 15, 2021, 08:29:43 AM
Raymond Wieczorek Dr in Manchester NH

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Wieczorek_Drive

Even the mile markers confirm no route number, https://goo.gl/maps/uZ4Sx5NuYbBB3CLE7

For that matter there's also the Circumferential Highway in Nashua - although interestingly it is currently mileposted as a series of Everett Turnpike ramps rather than its own road.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Bickendan

Quote from: 1 on June 15, 2021, 08:52:55 AM

Delta Hwy never qualified. It's now OR 132 (and reassurance shield signed!), and before it was a Lane County freeway. IIRC, OSM had it ID'ed as Lane County 1750.
Had it been ODOT to begin with, it still wouldn't have qualified as it would have had an ORH number (presumably ORH 132?) like Beltline Rd did (ORH 69, now OR 569).

kurumi

Milford Parkway in CT was briefly just a named, then SR 996 and now SR 796.
Riverfront Parkway in Hartford, CT, was 1.01 miles of unnumbered state highway leading from SR 598 to the Bulkeley Bridge. It became part of US 5A, and now I-91.

These are the two that I know from old highway logs, definitely with their own entry and mileage, but no number, not even "secret". Even the Merritt Parkway was designated SR 999 in 1938 before it became part of CT 15.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US 89

Quote from: roadman65 on June 17, 2021, 01:35:29 AM
OSR in Texas.

That was literally the only specific example mentioned in the first post of this thread.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.