News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Funny-named towns

Started by golden eagle, June 10, 2010, 12:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

national highway 1

Gay Street, Greenwich Village, NYC
*YAY! MY 200th Post!*
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

agentsteel53

Quote from: ausinterkid on June 21, 2010, 02:02:09 AM

*YAY! MY 200th Post!*

you do that one more time, you're banned.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

KillerTux

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 21, 2010, 10:01:17 AM
Quote from: ausinterkid on June 21, 2010, 02:02:09 AM

*YAY! MY 200th Post!*

you do that one more time, you're banned.
Damn. It looks like he made more then 200 posts but his profile says 8?

agentsteel53

Quote from: KillerTux on June 21, 2010, 10:56:28 AM

Damn. It looks like he made more then 200 posts but his profile says 8?

yeah, I went into the secret admin panel and, uh, changed some numbers.

I can even change his username if the going gets too ornery.

really get on our bad side?  we'll do a SQL DELETE query on you.

"banned? why no, you certainly were not banned.  In fact, you never existed!"

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

A couple of names which have caused me to wonder "What the hell were they thinking":

White Settlement, Texas
Villejuif, France
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 21, 2010, 12:17:55 PM
A couple of names which have caused me to wonder "What the hell were they thinking":

White Settlement, Texas
Villejuif, France

is White really a reference to the race, as opposed to, say, Captain Theophilus J. White's Merry Band of Explorers, Land Squatters, and Printers of Spurious Private Currency?

and the French - is that "village of Jews"?  My French is pretty rusty.

jake@aaroads.com

Duke87

Going a bit of a different route, here's a couple of redundant names...

First, Table Mesa, CO. "Mesa" is Spanish for "Table", so we've got "Table Table".

Second, in the town of Fishkill, NY (which is kinda funny in and of itself), there is a stream called Fishkill Creek. Here's the thing: "kill" is Dutch for "creek". It's Fish Creek Creek!
And then you have the Wallkill River ("Wall Creek River") - an aquatic "Street Road".
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hm insulators

Quote from: Duke87 on June 21, 2010, 12:55:32 PM
Going a bit of a different route, here's a couple of redundant names...

First, Table Mesa, CO. "Mesa" is Spanish for "Table", so we've got "Table Table".

There's a Table Mesa Road exit off I-17 north of Phoenix.

Another redundant name: The La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles. "Brea" is Spanish for "tar," so translated, it would be "The The Tar Tar Pits." :spin:
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

txstateends

http://www.bing.com/travel/content/search?q=More+Funny+Town+Names%3a+Tightwad%2c+Mo.&cid=msn1200018&form=HPTRAV

Tightwad, MO
Chicken, AK
Hell, Grand Cayman (Cayman Islands)
Monkey's Eyebrow, KY
Crapo, MD
Hot Coffee, MS
Knockemstiff, OH
Hell, MI
Cut and Shoot, TX
Lizard Lick, NC
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

1995hoo

Everybody's heard of Fucking, Austria, and Dildo, Newfoundland. But the signs in Fucking are made that much funnier by the sign underneath, which translates as "Please–not so fast!"

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

nexus73

Don't forget Phuket in Thailand!

Oregon's funny town names: Drain.  Boring.  Brothers.  Sisters.  Baker.  Talent.  Amity.  Sublimity.  We also have Detroit and Sagninaw for the automotive-inclined folks.  Go to Florence and see all the mileage signposts pointing to the other Florences in the world.  North Bend is not north of Bend.  Coquille's pronunciation by people not from our area usually gives them away.  Get your power in Powers, home of the Powers Cruisers and no, we're not talking about naval units, we're talking timber cruisers. 

Utah still has the best one.  Beaver.  It's in Beaver County.  The high school is the Beaver Beavers.  Runnerup goes to Millard, which is in Fillmore County.

Are there any orange groves left in Orange County CA?  Humor is where you find it!

Rick   
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Alps

Now y'all can look back and see what names have already come up. One of my favorites from recent travels: Accident, MD. Stay safe!

Takumi

It's not incorporated, but Skinquarter, VA has always been funny to me.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Quote from: nexus73 on November 09, 2011, 07:22:58 PM
Utah still has the best one.  Beaver.  It's in Beaver County.  The high school is the Beaver Beavers.

Washington also has a Beaver between Forks and Port Angeles on the 101. Didn't recall any prominent signage, though. Our family was going to the Hoh Rain Forest (pronounced "hoe").

Florida doesn't have many funny town names, although Frostproof was named because it seemed to be a good place to grow citrus. But the winter of 1895 proved them wrong.

There's Duck Key (not really a town, but quite large and independent enough) along Overseas Highway towards Key West. I feel like a kid pronouncing it.

The city of Boca Raton translates to "Rat's Mouth" in Spanish. Kind of disappointed the town logo nor high school team uses the rat as a mascot. Even more odd is a private housing community (with some nice lots of land) called Boca Grande, which translates to "Big Mouth"...which is apt for a couple of people from the area, based on experience.

There's a Smut Eye (or Smuteye), Alabama...here's a story about it.

Passed through a Homer in Ohio, along OH 661.

DeaconG

Quote from: formulanone on November 10, 2011, 07:44:51 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on November 09, 2011, 07:22:58 PM
Utah still has the best one.  Beaver.  It's in Beaver County.  The high school is the Beaver Beavers.

Washington also has a Beaver between Forks and Port Angeles on the 101. Didn't recall any prominent signage, though. Our family was going to the Hoh Rain Forest (pronounced "hoe").

Florida doesn't have many funny town names, although Frostproof was named because it seemed to be a good place to grow citrus. But the winter of 1895 proved them wrong.

There's Duck Key (not really a town, but quite large and independent enough) along Overseas Highway towards Key West. I feel like a kid pronouncing it.

The city of Boca Raton translates to "Rat's Mouth" in Spanish. Kind of disappointed the town logo nor high school team uses the rat as a mascot. Even more odd is a private housing community (with some nice lots of land) called Boca Grande, which translates to "Big Mouth"...which is apt for a couple of people from the area, based on experience.

There's a Smut Eye (or Smuteye), Alabama...here's a story about it.

Passed through a Homer in Ohio, along OH 661.

I have cousins that live in Two Egg (on SR 69 between Greenwood and Grand Ridge).

And I always drive by Faver Dykes State Park on the way up there! (St. Augustine)
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

roadman65

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on June 11, 2010, 05:08:28 PM
Anyone ever visit Buttzville, NJ??

Home of Hot Dog Johnnies the best damn hot dog place around!

Ty Ty, GA
Intercourse, PA (up the street is Bird In Hand)  Dirty minds might make a dirty joke here lol!
Cuckoo, VA
Micanopy, FL
Kissimmee, FL (Most mispronounce it as Kiss a me)
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brian556

Belcherville, TX. Uuuuuuuhhhhhhhh!

route29

Quote from: formulanone on November 10, 2011, 07:44:51 AMThere's a Smut Eye (or Smuteye), Alabama...here's a story about it.

Lots of funny names in Alabama.  Here's a few more:
Bug Tussle
Slapout
Weogufka

PAHighways

Quote from: roadman65 on November 12, 2011, 06:42:09 PMIntercourse, PA (up the street is Bird In Hand)  Dirty minds might make a dirty joke here lol!

As is Blue Ball.

US71

Peculiar, MO

Should I give a shout-out to Yellville, AR ? ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SteveG1988

Your dirty minds on intercourse PA:

Also, Cheesequake NJ....sounds like a slang term for flatulance caused by cheese.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Icodec

While traveling to St Louis, I went through the town of Benld, IL.

roadman65

How about Reddick, FL.  On the original Exxon fold maps, it was hyphened between the two Ds and made on two lines due to space limitiations making it look like a colorful body part.  I remember bringing it in to school to show my class mates as we had a teacher named something similar to what Exxon printed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

oscar

Quote from: txstateends on November 09, 2011, 04:49:08 PM
Chicken, AK

Local legend has it that town residents wanted to name it for the local game bird, but nobody knew how to spell "ptarmigan". 

For weird and appalling, there's the town near Kirkland Lake in northern Ontario that clings to the name Swastika, which appears on highway signs and the local post office.  (Yeah, it was named for a local mine, and both the mine and the town were so named long before the Nazis gave swastikas a bad name.  Still....)

Asbestos, Quebec still lives, and I made sure to send some postcards from there when I visited back in September.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.