News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 50/301(Chesapeake Bay Bridge)

Started by 74/171FAN, June 18, 2009, 08:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 24, 2019, 07:02:39 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 24, 2019, 06:59:28 PM
1. Convert to cashless two-way tolling (when this project is complete, MDTA can look at a return to one-way toll collection).

2. Charge higher tolls during hours when congestion is especially severe.  Not to minimize traffic, not to maximize revenue, but to maximize vehicular throughput.
I fail to see how this would fix anything. It's the only crossing. If they raise the tolls or go to two-way, it's strictly to maximize revenue. It's not going to "maximize vehicular throughput".

Managing traffic with variable-rate tolling is proven to work in a variety of highway corridors, including the MDTA's own MD-200 (InterCounty Connector) and the Transurban HOV/toll lanes in Northern Virginia.  Unless there is a crash or other incident, these run free-flow even morning and afternoon peak commute periods.   MDTA knows what the capacity of the crossing is in terms of vehicles per lane per hour (it's somewhat less than a freeway lane, which is generally between 2,000 and 2,200).  The tolls should be set to encourage the number of vehicles that can cross in an hour without a breakdown in flow.

Long before any of the roads above were envisioned, the late Professor (of economics) William S. Vickrey of Columbia University was advocating  for tolling of this kind, as discussed here and I quote in part:

QuoteVickrey's solution–higher tolls at peak times–would have obviated the need for many new highway-widening projects because many drivers, faced with tolls that reflected the true cost of such projects, would instead use carpools or buses. Those left would enjoy relatively uncongested roads but would pay for them. Vickrey even suggested a futuristic technology that has become standard: "equipping all cars with an electronic identifier."  As early as 1948, Vickrey suggested pricing solutions for hotels and airlines that look a lot like the "yield management"  that modern airlines practice.

This and other work was to lead to Vickrey being awarded The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel in 1996.  Annoyingly, Vickrey died a few days after learning that he had been awarded a Nobel, so he did not get to travel to Stockholm to receive his prize.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

1. Convert to cashless two-way tolling (when this project is complete, MDTA can look at a return to one-way toll collection).

2. Charge higher tolls during hours when congestion is especially severe.  Not to minimize traffic, not to maximize revenue, but to maximize vehicular throughput.
I fail to see how this would fix anything. It's the only crossing. If they raise the tolls or go to two-way, it's strictly to maximize revenue. It's not going to "maximize vehicular throughput".

How many vehicles are using E-ZPass vs. how many are paying cash? IIRC, it's not a high-speed option for the toll booths going east. You still have to slow down pretty significantly to go through the barrier. I'd be more in favor of eliminating the tolls entirely during the work duration. You'd still have to slow down to get through the toll booths, but maybe not as slow.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sprjus4

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 24, 2019, 07:26:19 PM
Managing traffic with variable-rate tolling is proven to work in a variety of highway corridors, including the MDTA's own MD-200 (InterCounty Connector) and the Transurban HOV/toll lanes in Northern Virginia.  Unless there is a crash or other incident, these run free-flow even morning and afternoon peak commute periods.
One major difference - those corridors have free alternatives - I-95 GP lanes in the case of Transurban's privatized profit-generating lanes, and I-270, I-495, and I-95 in the case of MD-200. Spiking the tolls up to "manage flow" in reality just kicks more vehicles off the toll lanes and dumps them into the free lanes increasing congestion and choking the GP lanes further and giving the high-toll payers the easy seamless drive.

With the bridge, it's the -only- crossing. Do you suggest spiking the tolls will incentivise drivers to take I-95 to DE-1 to US-301 South instead? You'd have to make that toll pretty damn high to clear congestion and deter that traffic load to the point it's free-flowing. But of course, even if that was reality, it would only choke the free alternative, I-95, DE-1, and US-301 further. That's the issue with the whole variable pricing concept with no cap. It gives priority and beneficial flow to high-toll payers and seems good in theory, but really it chokes the people who refuse to pay an absurdly high rate. And if you're solely focused on getting that variable-priced lane moving free-flow, it only works as I said above on corridors that have an ideal free alternative - US-301 / US-50 does not.

Beltway

Depending on how high, it could spread the traffic out over more timespan, pricing some of the vehicles out of the highest volume hours.

MSHA has been advocating the spreading out the US-50 peak travel since the mid 1990s, by announcing that after the preceding major upgrades (I-595, US-50 freeway upgrades, removal of 2-lane bottlenecks at Cambridge and Vienna), there would be very few if any major upgrades in the future, due to financial limitations.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on October 24, 2019, 07:28:43 PM
How many vehicles are using E-ZPass vs. how many are paying cash? IIRC, it's not a high-speed option for the toll booths going east. You still have to slow down pretty significantly to go through the barrier. I'd be more in favor of eliminating the tolls entirely during the work duration. You'd still have to slow down to get through the toll booths, but maybe not as slow.

From MDTA's annual report ending June 2018, about 34% of toll revenue collected at the Chesapeake Bay (WPL) Bridge comes from old-fashioned cash toll collection.
E-ZPass accounts for better than 65% of toll revenue.
Video tolling is about 2.5% of collected toll revenue.

Note that this is toll revenue, not toll transactions.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 24, 2019, 07:29:35 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 24, 2019, 07:26:19 PM
Managing traffic with variable-rate tolling is proven to work in a variety of highway corridors, including the MDTA's own MD-200 (InterCounty Connector) and the Transurban HOV/toll lanes in Northern Virginia.  Unless there is a crash or other incident, these run free-flow even morning and afternoon peak commute periods.
One major difference - those corridors have free alternatives - I-95 GP lanes in the case of Transurban's privatized profit-generating lanes, and I-270, I-495, and I-95 in the case of MD-200. Spiking the tolls up to "manage flow" in reality just kicks more vehicles off the toll lanes and dumps them into the free lanes increasing congestion and choking the GP lanes further and giving the high-toll payers the easy seamless drive.

With the bridge, it's the -only- crossing. Do you suggest spiking the tolls will incentivise drivers to take I-95 to DE-1 to US-301 South instead? You'd have to make that toll pretty damn high to clear congestion and deter that traffic load to the point it's free-flowing. But of course, even if that was reality, it would only choke the free alternative, I-95, DE-1, and US-301 further. That's the issue with the whole variable pricing concept with no cap. It gives priority and beneficial flow to high-toll payers and seems good in theory, but really it chokes the people who refuse to pay an absurdly high rate. And if you're solely focused on getting that variable-priced lane moving free-flow, it only works as I said above on corridors that have an ideal free alternative - US-301 / US-50 does not.

Higher tolls in peak demand times will cause some people to shift travel to a time when demand is lower, as Beltway points out.  Does not matter if there are alternative routes available or not.

Some people may telecommute instead, effectively removing the trip from the bridge.

And if there is a transit alternative, and especially if that alternative is free, some people will take the express bus.

vdeane

Not to mention that it might encourage traffic bypassing I-95 via US 301 to stay on I-95.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 24, 2019, 08:04:36 PM
Higher tolls in peak demand times will cause some people to shift travel to a time when demand is lower, as Beltway points out.  Does not matter if there are alternative routes available or not.

It would be helpful if regional VMS signs would broadcast a message warning of high peak congestion and how to avoid it.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on October 24, 2019, 08:58:11 PM
Not to mention that it might encourage traffic bypassing I-95 via US 301 to stay on I-95.

Or they could continue up I-97 to Baltimore (whether via US-50 to I-97 or via MD-3 to I-97, doesn't much matter) and rejoin I-95 there while still avoiding the DC area.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on October 24, 2019, 09:10:28 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 24, 2019, 08:04:36 PM

It would be helpful if regional VMS signs would broadcast a message warning of high peak congestion and how to avoid it.

Since the signs can only display 2 messages of 3 lines each, it's nearly impossible to provide any good detail, especially as there's no one common destination travelers are headed towards

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 24, 2019, 09:18:46 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 24, 2019, 08:58:11 PM

Or they could continue up I-97 to Baltimore (whether via US-50 to I-97 or via MD-3 to I-97, doesn't much matter) and rejoin I-95 there while still avoiding the DC area.

The north terminus of I-97 is not the greatest place to be right now, with the I-895 Baltimore Harbor Tunnel restricted to one lane each way until the Canton Viaduct replacement project is completed.  If a driver knows the area, they can use the Outer Loop I-695 to cross the F.S. Key Bridge (seldom congested, though cash toll collection there is ending, which might deter some drivers without an E-ZPass).

vdeane

Plus if someone's using the Bay Bridge to avoid I-95, paying less in tolls might be a reason why.  Bay Bridge + US 301 + DE 1 is still less than Harbor Tunnel + Tidings Bridge + Delaware Turnpike, and is now all high-speed divided highway and freeway.  Plus I-97 doesn't result in enough of a bypass to really be worth it, especially since you're going the long way around, rather than an alternate way of comparable mileage.  Plus the times I've driven in the DC/MD/DE corridor, the worst delays on I-95 were actually north of Baltimore.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NJRoadfan

I have been using DE-1/US-301/US-50 to/from the Capital Beltway on my last few NC trips. Besides the lower tolls, its simply a more relaxed ride that doesn't add any additional time to the trip. What Delaware giveth with the new US-301 Bypass, Maryland promptly took away with the Bay Bridge construction it seems.

Were backups this bad during the last re-decking project back in 2002-03? Looking at my photos, they had the left lane closed back then.

Beltway

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 26, 2019, 01:08:54 AM
I have been using DE-1/US-301/US-50 to/from the Capital Beltway on my last few NC trips. Besides the lower tolls, its simply a more relaxed ride that doesn't add any additional time to the trip. What Delaware giveth with the new US-301 Bypass, Maryland promptly took away with the Bay Bridge construction it seems.
In two years it will be done.

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 26, 2019, 01:08:54 AM
Were backups this bad during the last re-decking project back in 2002-03? Looking at my photos, they had the left lane closed back then.
The lane closed will vary as they redeck the other lanes.

Not sure about the congestion, but obviously the volumes would have been considerably lower 17 years ago.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on October 25, 2019, 08:39:13 PMPlus the times I've driven in the DC/MD/DE corridor, the worst delays on I-95 were actually north of Baltimore.

Same here. Which is why I opted to stay in Annapolis and use US 301 to attend the Delaware meet a couple of years ago. Of course, I was already out at Reedville at the end of US 360 anyway, so it just made sense to use the Nice Bridge to cross the Potomac. But I opted not to use I-95 precisely because of prior bad experiences.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Quote from: Beltway on October 26, 2019, 07:33:34 AM
Not sure about the congestion, but obviously the volumes would have been considerably lower 17 years ago.

May be moreseo a case where daily and seasonal variability has changed rather than overall volumes.  The Automated Traffic Recorder at the toll booth shows an average of about 68.4K in 2002, and about 73.5K in 2018.  That's not a significant overall increase.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on October 28, 2019, 07:24:37 AM
May be moreseo a case where daily and seasonal variability has changed rather than overall volumes.  The Automated Traffic Recorder at the toll booth shows an average of about 68.4K in 2002, and about 73.5K in 2018.  That's not a significant overall increase.

I wasn't necessarily referring to overall volumes.  The Bay Bridge peaks always have been highly seasonal and weekend oriented.  That 8% growth in AADT could be undergirded by double that on weekends, and that would be quite significant on a facility that is already near capacity at those times.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on October 28, 2019, 07:56:19 AM
Quote from: froggie on October 28, 2019, 07:24:37 AM

I wasn't necessarily referring to overall volumes.  The Bay Bridge peaks always have been highly seasonal and weekend oriented.  That 8% growth in AADT could be undergirded by double that on weekends, and that would be quite significant on a facility that is already near capacity at those times.

And certainly, viewing just the AADT without any underlying detail can miss a lot of important data.

Let's say in 2002 the bridge was already at capacity from 5 - 6pm.  In 2018, chances are, there would've been no increase whatsoever during that time, because you can't sqeeze additional traffic onto something that is already jammed and at capacity.  But from 2-3pm, 3-4pm, 4-5pm, 6-7pm, 7-8pm, etc. there may have been an increase up to capacity.  Depending on previous traffic levels, the 4-5pm and 6-7pm levels may have already been heavy, so those increases may have been relatively minor, just up to whatever capacity is.  The further you go out - 3-4pm and 7-8pm, those levels may have increased more substantially because there was more capacity to work with.

Traffic on Saturday and Sunday would've seen similar numbers.

However, Monday - Thursday growth may have been lower overall if people decided they didn't want to make the Bay Bridge a commuting bridge. 

Thus, the overall increase may be substantially related to a very short period of time during the overall week; something that may not necessarily be picked up using a broad AADT report.

cpzilliacus

In the four Maryland Eastern Shore counties (Queen Anne's, Kent, Caroline and Talbot) that are closest to the bridge landing, there has been an increase of over 11,000 in estimated population between 2011 and 2018.   Not all have gained population (Kent and Talbot have declined to some extent), but in aggregate the population is growing.

Not all of that population is licensed to drive, nor does all of it commute across the Bay, but some of it does.  And even small increase in traffic (and especially recurring commuter travel) can have a big impact on traffic congestion.

In Kent County, Delaware and Sussex County, Delaware, the combined population grew by over 42,000.  Based on the number of Delaware tags I have seen on U.S. 50 between Washington, D.C. and Anne Arundel County, Maryland during peak commute times, some of those people are commuting to and from employment in the D.C. area. 

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 28, 2019, 10:02:59 AM
In the four Maryland Eastern Shore counties (Queen Anne's, Kent, Caroline and Talbot) that are closest to the bridge landing, there has been an increase of over 11,000 in estimated population between 2011 and 2018.   Not all have gained population (Kent and Talbot have declined to some extent), but in aggregate the population is growing.
Not all of that population is licensed to drive, nor does all of it commute across the Bay, but some of it does.  And even small increase in traffic (and especially recurring commuter travel) can have a big impact on traffic congestion.
The MD-404 widening projects were completed in July 2018, so now the highway is 4-lanes divided between US-50 at Wye Mills and MD-16 east of Denton.

This is another factor in increased weekend travel to the beaches, granted that it is only partway to the Delaware beaches, granted that the increases would be fairly small, but yet another factor in adding traffic at times when the Bay Bridge is already near capacity.

Probably increases in weekday commuters from Denton and east of Denton to the Western Shore, as well.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

ixnay

In Kent County, Delaware and Sussex County, Delaware, the combined population grew by over 42,000.  Based on the number of Delaware tags I have seen on U.S. 50 between Washington, D.C. and Anne Arundel County, Maryland during peak commute times, some of those people are commuting to and from employment in the D.C. area.

Per Google Maps...

Middletown-Warwick Rd. (the former US 301) and Main St. in Middletown: 85.5 miles

DE 8 and DE 15 in Dover to New Carrollton Metro: 81.9 miles

DE 14 and US 113 in Milford to New Carrollton Metro: 84.6 miles

The Circle in Georgetown to New Carrollton Metro: 94.7 miles

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Beltway

One my coworkers in downtown Richmond commuted from Hampton for over 20 years, that is 76 miles, and as the driver of a van pool it took about 1:30 each way for him.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Quote from: ixnay on October 28, 2019, 05:07:44 PM

Per Google Maps...

Middletown-Warwick Rd. (the former US 301) and Main St. in Middletown: 85.5 miles

DE 8 and DE 15 in Dover to New Carrollton Metro: 81.9 miles

DE 14 and US 113 in Milford to New Carrollton Metro: 84.6 miles

The Circle in Georgetown to New Carrollton Metro: 94.7 miles

ixnay
I'm sure a few people do it for the DE tax benefits, just like PA commuters to NYC.

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on October 28, 2019, 08:56:05 PM
One my coworkers in downtown Richmond commuted from Hampton for over 20 years, that is 76 miles, and as the driver of a van pool it took about 1:30 each way for him.
For Hampton Roads, there's a decent amount of people who commute the 60 mile drive between Elizabeth City and Norfolk daily (about 14,000 AADT on US-17 which slowly rises each year), mostly for the lower costs of living in N.C. This number will only keep growing as Elizabeth City expands.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 29, 2019, 06:10:27 AM
For Hampton Roads, there's a decent amount of people who commute the 60 mile drive between Elizabeth City and Norfolk daily (about 14,000 AADT on US-17 which slowly rises each year), mostly for the lower costs of living in N.C. This number will only keep growing as Elizabeth City expands.
N.C. commuters come from a variety of places, from an arc from south of Franklin all the way to the coast, many of them living closer to the border than Elizabeth City.  Crossing the border at US-258, US-13, VA-32, VA-168, as well, and some secondary roads.

The ship yards have always drawn long-distance commuters as there are a number of specialized trades that provide high-paying wages.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.