Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

csw

Can't decide if this one in Woodsville, NH, is good or bad, but it's certainly unique.

Scott5114

Clearly letting you know you'll be going out of state to catch I-91.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: csw on May 17, 2021, 09:39:32 PM
Can't decide if this one in Woodsville, NH, is good or bad, but it's certainly unique.

I have never seen that before.  Usually when a state references a route that takes them to an interstate where the intersection occurs in another state, they just have the standard state named shield of the DOT installing it.  They don't get that technical.   I love that they did get that technical there.  The contrary is Interstate 12 being referenced in Mississippi.  It's funny to see a Mississippi state named shield for an intrastate interstate that is in Louisiana. 

Revive 755

mrsman

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 20, 2021, 11:24:10 PM
A detour for an incident bypass route for I-72 in Springfield, IL?  Also odd to have an incident bypass route for Business 55.

What type of incident?  Was there something specific to mandate a detour, or are these signs up permanently?

I can imagine that if there is an accident on I-72, radio reports can tell you I-72 closed between these exits, follow the signed incident detour route.

Pennsylvania has a similar system, but they use a color coded system.

https://www.chesco.org/DocumentCenter/View/2409/PennDot-Detour-Signs?bidId=

wanderer2575

Quote from: mrsman on May 21, 2021, 09:51:40 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on May 20, 2021, 11:24:10 PM
A detour for an incident bypass route for I-72 in Springfield, IL?  Also odd to have an incident bypass route for Business 55.

What type of incident?  Was there something specific to mandate a detour, or are these signs up permanently?

I can imagine that if there is an accident on I-72, radio reports can tell you I-72 closed between these exits, follow the signed incident detour route.

Michigan has permanent freeway detour routes posted in some parts of the state.  They are signed as "emergency," not "incident bypass."  For example:

https://goo.gl/maps/iy64f9Q6EkLywQEx5

https://goo.gl/maps/8zGk139zvmWk7Gt8A

https://goo.gl/maps/X8SKnF35u7uinm9fA

D-Dey65

Not really a road sign, but since it looks like one from 70-90 years ago, I have to bring it up.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/FL_50_Bridge_over_former_SAL_Railroad_Line-Park_Boundary.jpg

How long have Florida's state parks had these kinds of signs at the borders of their parks?

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

LilianaUwU

It seems as though the shields on the abandoned section of PA-291 near the Philadelphia International Airport are still there, over fourteen years after it was closed to the public.

Street View
—Mr. Thwomp

MCRoads

Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 23, 2021, 05:58:06 PM
Hmm, if only there was a sign for this...

Street View

Honestly, it is probably more cost effective than the monstrosity CO sometimes uses]=https://goo.gl/maps/WaEVRXbHEWU29Bwm9]the monstrosity CO sometimes uses (it can get even worse, but GSV hasn't updated), but it gets the same point across. There is probably so little traffic that uses that road, it doesn't matter anyway.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

jakeroot

Corrected post:

Quote from: MCRoads on May 25, 2021, 09:26:16 AM
Honestly, it is probably more cost effective than the monstrosity CO sometimes uses (it can get even worse, but GSV hasn't updated), but it gets the same point across. There is probably so little traffic that uses that road, it doesn't matter anyway.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: MCRoads on May 25, 2021, 09:26:16 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 23, 2021, 05:58:06 PM
Hmm, if only there was a sign for this...

Street View

Honestly, it is probably more cost effective than the monstrosity CO sometimes uses (it can get even worse, but GSV hasn't updated), but it gets the same point across. There is probably so little traffic that uses that road, it doesn't matter anyway.

Yeah, but the most cost effective way would be the actual standard in Québec:

—Mr. Thwomp

jakeroot

You heard it here first, folks: No turn on red unless there's a green arrow.

St Louis Park, MN

I'm guessing it was installed to avoid confusion with a red orb being displayed simultaneous with a green arrow (an extremely common situation). But then I've never seen such an obvious exception to "NTOR" signed before.

No Turn On Red Except On Green Arrow by Jake Root, on Flickr

plain

Quote from: jakeroot on May 27, 2021, 07:17:49 PM
You heard it here first, folks: No turn on red unless there's a green arrow.

St Louis Park, MN

I'm guessing it was installed to avoid confusion with a red orb being displayed simultaneous with a green arrow (an extremely common situation). But then I've seen such an obvious exception to "NTOR" signed before.

No Turn On Red Except On Green Arrow by Jake Root, on Flickr

In this case those signals should be regular 3-section right turn signals instead of towers.

EDIT: then the signs wouldn't be needed at all, at least the bottom one
Newark born, Richmond bred

roadman65

This JCT I-520 sign with the Bobby Jones name above it.

It should read Bobby Jones Expressway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

LilianaUwU

—Mr. Thwomp

Scott5114

"Well, we're at an impasse. I guess there's nothing we can do but pay attention to the infants."
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

This one is odd for two reasons.
1) The inconsistency of the road descriptors.  One spelled out and the other abbreviated.
2) The exit numbers as you have a whole number and a whole number suffix.  Forget the A & B in the middle, but still Exit 1 should become Exit 1A and Wheeler Road should be Exit 1B.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

ClassicHasClass

It's because of the 70mph limit on the parent I-15 it's exiting from.

M3100

Here's a button copy relic.  This is on Redondo, just south of Rosecrans, in north Manhattan Beach, CA.  That is a movie/TV studio in the right distance "Welcome To What's Next").

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: M3100 on May 31, 2021, 03:43:31 PM
Here's a button copy relic.  This is on Redondo, just south of Rosecrans, in north Manhattan Beach, CA.  That is a movie/TV studio in the right distance "Welcome To What's Next").

:love:

1995hoo

Saw this earlier today at the Publix at the corner of Sheridan Street and SW 196th Avenue in Southwest Ranches, Florida. This crosswalk makes no sense.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.