News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on July 27, 2021, 01:04:39 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 27, 2021, 12:59:18 PM
Quote from: storm2k on July 20, 2021, 01:02:19 PM
Quote from: akotchi on July 20, 2021, 12:11:36 PM
Quote from: famartin on July 20, 2021, 11:33:02 AM
Quote from: akotchi on July 20, 2021, 11:04:26 AM
The I-80 exit is numbered 69 southbound, but unnumbered northbound.  Since there is a large distance between the SB and NB accesses, would the northbound exit get a different number, like 67?

Also, for some reason, the U.S. 46 exit is also unnumbered northbound -- Exit 68 is only for Challenger Road -- but numbered as 68 southbound.  It is also unnumbered from the I-80 EB ramps (which become the SB outer roadway).

If continuing from Turnpike exit numbering. the numbering would have to start from 20, since 19W was added to the Sports Complex/American Dream ramp on the Western Spur.

Most if not all the oddities you mention are matters of historical precedent and momentum. 80 exits off the original turnpike NB, but the NJDOT-built Bergen-Passaic Expressway SB (actually it's 95 that exits the BPE, which continues as 80). So, southbound, NJDOT gave it the number 69, but NB, it was always NJTA, and since it's beyond their original ticket system, it was unnumbered. Same reason 46 has no number NB... NJTA is responsible and it's beyond their ticket system, so no number. SB, it was near the very end of the connector from the BPE and the turnpike, so NJDOT gave it the number 68.
Fair points all.  Thanks for the history lesson -- I knew some of it, but not the timing of the moving parts.

I recommended 19W be numbered as such based on task order work I did for NJTA -- once the Sports Complex ramp transitioned to full-time use with American Dream, it made sense.  The number was specifically due to its location north of 18W toll plaza.  Pleased to see it posted as such in the field.

The Eastern Spur numbering is a byproduct of moving the barrier plaza from U.S. 46 to I/NJ-495 long ago.

Of note as well is that NJDOT used to number the I-95 interchange on I-80 EB as Exits 68A-B based on I-80 mileage, with (I-95) Exit 70 following shortly after in the local lanes.  Presumably to avoid confusion with I-95 SB Exit 68 (U.S. 46), the terminal exit numbers were removed.  I want to say this was 20 years or so ago.

Yes, I believe that was in 2000 or so when the last of the legacy NJDOT non-reflectorized button copy was removed north of the northern mixing bowl and the Lombardi Service Area and replaced with then current NJTA style signage. Some of that signage lasted long past when NJTA took over jurisdiction of the 95 stretch to the GWB, which I believe was in 1992.

Also, it should be noted that the milemarkers along that stretch continue the Turnpike's mainline mileage. The last one is like 121 or 122, even though they left the original NJDOT exit numbers (which were based on the original 95 mileage following its original planned route over Scudders Falls then up the Somerset Freeway) which just happened to dovetail nicely with 80's exit numbers.

It's I-95 and not I-80, and in a perfect world, the New Jersey Turnpike exit numbering would continue all the way to the New Jersey landing of the GWB (from memory, I think that would result in new numbers (or maybe Exit 18A for Challenger Road); then Exit 19 for I-80, Exit 20 for Leonia and Teaneck; Exit 20A for Englewood; Exit 21A for NJ-67; Exit 21B for the Pallisades Interstate Parkway and U.S. 9W (this is northbound, might be and probably is different for southbound).

I stated very clearly that it's 95 there. The numbers just happen to line up with 80's exit numbering as well. Also, there's never been a solid reason to change the numbering. It's north of the ticket system and toll free (as this was a condition of the NJTA taking the roadway over from NJDOT) and those numbers are pretty ingrained in people's minds. It's not signed as part of the Turnpike either there, just as 95. So there's no reason whatsoever to change what already works.

Been down the road with letters back in the early 2000s.  They are stubborn to keep as it is until the NJTA goes mileage based, which we all know will never happen.  In fact the day Nancy Pelosi says one nice thing about Trump will happen first before the Authority renumbers its exits.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on July 27, 2021, 07:57:08 PM
I see that the Indiana Toll Road copies the NJ Turnpike in regards to lane stripping.

So does ISTHA. All the toll roads use the 12ft long thick stripes on their roadways.

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on July 28, 2021, 10:44:43 AM
I see that the Indiana Toll Road copies the NJ Turnpike in regards to lane stripping.

So does ISTHA. All the toll roads use the 12ft long thick stripes on their roadways.

Define "all the toll roads". NYSTA doesn't. MDTA doesn't. SJTA doesn't. And the GSP, which is now under NJTA jurisdiction, doesn't.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on July 28, 2021, 10:44:43 AM

And it's not even 12 feet. 12 feet is about the length of a typical skip line. The NJ Turnpike uses 25 foot lengths for their lines.

kurumi

This also seems to be the GSP thread, so:

https://twitter.com/GovMurphy/status/1420121299226087427

And (not original, someone else thought of this): at the Bon Jovi service center, whoooah, you're halfway there!
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

roadman65

You left out one.  One notable person that has brought business and development to NJ for decades before he joined the ranks of politics. 

Heck even Bill Clinton renamed Washington National Airport after Ronald Reagan, who was no Democrat. 

Not saying I'm a fan of renaming after all areas and wish they would name one after one specific, but interesting fact how NJ has changed.   In the eighties we had our share of those we disliked but we also had respect for those around us who did like them, so we accepted the names. 

IMO people alive shouldn't have things named after them.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: kurumi on July 28, 2021, 02:28:40 PM
And (not original, someone else thought of this): at the Bon Jovi service center, whoooah, you're halfway there!
You're not! Cheesequake isn't even 1/3 of the way there.

SignBridge

I preferred the practice of naming the service areas for the towns they were in or near. I wish NJ Turnpike would have done that. At least then you'd have some sense of where they were located .

vdeane

Quote from: SignBridge on July 28, 2021, 09:16:47 PM
I preferred the practice of naming the service areas for the towns they were in or near. I wish NJ Turnpike would have done that. At least then you'd have some sense of where they were located .
Agreed.  Why do decision makers hate geographically-based names so much these days?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

The Garden State Parkway always used local areas to name their areas hence Cheesequake, Monmouth, Forked River, etc.  The NJ Turnpike on the other hand used the fact that NJ being crossroads to the Revolution tried something new in naming that only so far they have been successful in use.  I always thought that when living there it was neat as many do not realize NJ did have many famous people coming from our soil.

I am though surprised that Sinatra didn't make the list but the fact was when the Turnpike opened to traffic  it was long before he died. So it kind of makes sense there.

The Garden State Parkway always used local areas to name their areas hence Cheesequake, Monmouth, Forked River, etc.  The NJ Turnpike on the other hand used the fact that NJ being crossroads to the Revolution tried something new in naming that only so far they have been successful in use.  I always thought that when living there it was neat as many do not realize NJ did have many famous people coming from our soil.

I am though surprised that Sinatra didn't make the original list but the fact was when the Turnpike opened to traffic  it was long before he died. So it kind of makes sense there.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on July 29, 2021, 01:24:04 AM

I am though surprised that Sinatra didn't make the list but the fact was when the Turnpike opened to traffic  it was long before he died. So it kind of makes sense there.

I am though surprised that Sinatra didn't make the original list but the fact was when the Turnpike opened to traffic  it was long before he died. So it kind of makes sense there.

I'm pretty sure all the turnpike rest areas were named for people who had already died at the time of their opening.

bzakharin

Quote from: roadman65 on July 29, 2021, 01:24:04 AM

It also makes sense for the Turnpike service areas not to be associated with towns they're in because the exits are relatively far apart, and there may not be direct access from the Turnpike to the town a service area is in (take the town I live in, Cherry Hill. Walt Whitman Service Area is located there, but the closest exit, Exit 4, is in Mount Laurel). This isn't as true on the Parkway.

Rothman

Everyone knows Vince Lombardi.  Everyone.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SignBridge

famartin

Quote from: SignBridge on July 29, 2021, 07:39:06 PM
I don't.

I suspect he was being sarcastic. I don't know who Larry Doby is.

Roadgeek Adam

Larry Doby was the son of a semi-pro baseball player and horse groomer in South Carolina. He moved to Paterson when he was 14 and joined the Newark Eagles of the Negro Leagues in 1942. In 1947, Bill Veeck, then owner of the Cleveland Indians, wanted an African-American player on his team, signed him to a contract, becoming the first American League African-American player (Robinson with the Dodgers was MLB and not the first technically.). Dude was a beast, belting 273 home runs in his career. Dude's a Hall of Famer and for good reason.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

1995hoo

Who's doing the stripping? That's not a service I had previously heard of on most toll roads.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SignBridge

I think he's talking about the length of the white lane lines and just spelled striping wrong.

1995hoo

Quote from: SignBridge on July 31, 2021, 08:53:05 PM
I think he's talking about the length of the white lane lines and just spelled striping wrong.

Duh! It was still an amusing typo.

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 31, 2021, 10:11:45 PM

and if you read our rules, you'll see that pointing out typos is considered unproductive in a discussion so please don't (:

1995hoo

Quote from: Alps on August 01, 2021, 01:09:55 AM

and if you read our rules, you'll see that pointing out typos is considered unproductive in a discussion so please don't (:

I'm positive I remember at some point one of the moderators saying something along the lines of it being acceptable to joke about funny typos, but it would be too much of a nuisance to try to find that post now.

roadman65

. Spell check and double key strokes. Annoying but funny sometimes.

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

ixnay

Quote from: roadman65 on July 28, 2021, 06:00:49 PM
You left out one.  One notable person that has brought business and development to NJ for decades before he joined the ranks of politics. 

Heck even Bill Clinton renamed Washington National Airport after Ronald Reagan, who was no Democrat. 

Except during most of his active film career.

ixnay

vdeane

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 01, 2021, 02:55:19 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 01, 2021, 01:09:55 AM

I'm positive I remember at some point one of the moderators saying something along the lines of it being acceptable to joke about funny typos, but it would be too much of a nuisance to try to find that post now.
I wonder if this is an edge case that was acceptable but no longer is in regards to the new rules.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.