News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Meter Light Standards

Started by KEK Inc., March 10, 2014, 05:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEK Inc.

What are the metering light standards in your state?  All of the far west states have a standard 3 signal light (where the yellow is sometimes used for a 2nd car to pass through the meter, albeit rarely), while states like Arizona, Nevada or Florida only use two (green/red). 

Similarily, how is the approach to a meter light handled? 

Oregon uses standard size LED signs: 

Northern California uses a pedestrian signal mount. 

San Diego uses the standard traffic light warning sign with a yellow flashing light above it and 'RAMP METER' black on yellow below the sign.

Washington follows more vanilla MUTCD with these:

Take the road less traveled.

jeffandnicole

PA uses 2 lights (Red/Green).

NJ's one and only installation used Red/Green as well (it was only in use for a short time, then the ramp was reconstructed and the ramp light eliminated).

Brandon

Chicago has plenty of them along the Edens, Kennedy, Eisenhower, and Ryan Expressways.

Edens between the Junction and Dempster Street:
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.976386,-87.74585&spn=0.009204,0.021136&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=41.976287,-87.745765&panoid=RcVr1T0QoOmzUntIH5f_1A&cbp=12,321.9,,0,7.22

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.976689,-87.746258&spn=0.009268,0.021136&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=41.976752,-87.74635&panoid=sZN8sx8ijVdbGw0b6Mx8iw&cbp=12,318.95,,0,11.97

Kennedy between the Circle and Cumberland Avenue:
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.953443,-87.731058&spn=0.001159,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=41.953443,-87.731058&panoid=8BQz1vIJZKA87j3NaqM77g&cbp=12,136.53,,0,7.4

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.952678,-87.729591&spn=0.001159,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=41.952724,-87.729694&panoid=05fC9sDa3Ke2Y9SJCaP9Ig&cbp=12,126.57,,0,8.5

Eisenhower between the Circle and North Avenue:
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.873743,-87.805178&spn=0.00116,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=41.873764,-87.805392&panoid=c1oePa_Jr8cONSa8iqCDOA&cbp=12,282.39,,0,2.65

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.873851,-87.806326&spn=0.00116,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=41.873851,-87.806326&panoid=qRp2NJO7JGeRmXBW7hU4IA&cbp=12,282.28,,0,4.39

Ryan between the Circle and the Split:
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.751787,-87.624689&spn=0.001644,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=41.751891,-87.624702&panoid=aO3scM9sJ_Z2hedFKQXyTg&cbp=12,9.33,,0,11.97

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.752349,-87.62473&spn=0.001644,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=41.752349,-87.62473&panoid=OAIbrMhfF8KoZUoFS7v1VQ&cbp=12,6.9,,0,17.54

I-57, the Stevenson Expressway, and the Calumet Expressway (aka Bishop Ford) do not have them.

All are of the red/green variety, and some of them are broken or turned the wrong way.  The advance warning signage is either "RAMP METER AHEAD" or the signal ahead symbol.  They also have one of two signs at the signals themselves, "STOP HERE ON RED" with the arrow, or "WAIT HERE FOR GREEN", again with an arrow.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 10, 2014, 10:33:08 AM
NJ's one and only installation used Red/Green as well (it was only in use for a short time, then the ramp was reconstructed and the ramp light eliminated).

New Jersey had a ramp meter? Where and when was this located?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Leaving Harrahs in Atlantic City, approaching 87 South. This ( http://goo.gl/maps/AeN69 ) is the best picture I can grab from Google Maps.  The 2 lights are now in the middle of the island separating incoming and outgoing traffic. Before this particular intersection/interchange was redesigned, the ramp entering 87 South went thru those two lights. 

As you see in GMSV, the ramp was moved, but the meter lights are still there.  They're not in operation, and due to the angles of the roadway, one could easily pass by them without noticing them.

From what I remember, the meter operated a few years at most, and the light sequence had no rhyme or reason to it.

Milepost61

Colorado is R-Y-G for the upper signal head and R-G for the lower head pointing inward. The yellow is only used when the meter is first turning on in the morning and flashes yellow for a minute before going to R-G. The meters are dark when not in use.

The approach is a standard signal ahead sign with a "when flashing" plaque underneath and beacon above.

Scott5114

Do they still use 12-8-8 heads?

Ramp metering seems like it would make it difficult to merge into freeways because it shortens the amount of time you have to pick up speed.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

froggie

It can do that, Scott, depending on how far down the ramp the meter is placed.  At the same time, though, they do help on both the ramp and especially the freeway mainline because they break up the often-huge platoons that are trying to merge all at the same time.  MnDOT has for decades documented a reduction in crashes and increases in capacity and freeway speed with ramp metering.

Regarding standards, MnDOT standard is for two signalheads per side, with the lower signalhead angled towards the 1st car in line.  3-lens signals (don't recall if they're 8-inch or 12-inch, but they're all the same size).  1 car per green.  Here's a photo from an associate of mine:

Brandon

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 11, 2014, 08:25:22 AM

Ramp metering seems like it would make it difficult to merge into freeways because it shortens the amount of time you have to pick up speed.

It does.  IMHO, they're worthless pieces of junk.  One should be at freeway speed before the end of the ramp (60-75 mph).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on March 11, 2014, 12:03:49 PM

It does.  IMHO, they're worthless pieces of junk.  One should be at freeway speed before the end of the ramp (60-75 mph).

place them far enough back and they make a lot of sense at preventing the congestion from spilling onto the freeway itself.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Brandon on March 11, 2014, 12:03:49 PM

Plenty of ramps around where the driver merges into the travel lanes the first chance they get, while going about half the speed limit.  The lack of a meter light doesn't stop timid drivers from incorrectly entering a highway.

agentsteel53

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 11, 2014, 12:50:44 PM

Plenty of ramps around where the driver merges into the travel lanes the first chance they get, while going about half the speed limit.  The lack of a meter light doesn't stop timid drivers from incorrectly entering a highway.

not to mention that this person will immediately merge into the leftmost lane, still doing ~50.

this has nothing to do with the efficiency of ramp meters.  it has to do with the fact that this isn't an $800-plus-two-points ticket.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

KEK Inc.

In heavy traffic, they're good.  In moderate traffic, they're alright as long as there is sufficient space for vehicles to speed up to 50 MPH before forcing to merge.
Take the road less traveled.

jakeroot

Something no else seems to enjoy...In Washington, we use dotted lines to keep the general public in their place:

You really only see that where the ramps are metered, which saddens me because I like places like Hawaii's method of placing directional-dotted lines whenever a lane begins or ends. Looks much more interesting in my opinion.

6a

Here they're only used when traffic is heavy, so I suppose that isn't a huge concern. It just spaces out the traffic trying to merge. They must think it works, the system's been expanded in the last few years.

Regarding layout, we have a red-green system with the yellow diamond "ramp metered when flashing" signs.

The High Plains Traveler

Twin Cities ramp meters are three-section, 8-8-8 heads. The yellow is used as a brief transition from green to red, not to allow a second vehicle (signage states "One Vehicle Per Green"). During non-metered hours, the yellow lights flash. A standard pictorial SIGNAL AHEAD sign in advance of the meter signals has a yellow flashing light that flashes during the time the meters are active.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Ian

Quote from: jake on March 11, 2014, 07:15:39 PM
Something no else seems to enjoy...In Washington, we use dotted lines to keep the general public in their place:

You really only see that where the ramps are metered, which saddens me because I much places like Hawaii's method of placing directional-dotted lines whenever a lane begins or ends. Looks much more interesting in my opinion.

PennDOT does this for the ramp meters on I-476.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

DaBigE

WisDOT's ramp metering is very similar to others mentioned. All new installations have a 12-12-12 signal mounted at typical signal height, aimed upstream and a 8-8 signal mounted roughly at 5-ft for the vehicle at the stop line. Older installations have a 12-8-8 and the 8-8 signals. In special geometric situations, they'll just have a 12-12-12 signal for each lane mounted overhead (always horizontally-oriented), downstream of the stop bar for the regular lanes, but a typical pole-mount for the HOV lane. Most installations also have a 12-in enforcement light mounted to the backside of the pole

Older WisDOT meter
Newer WisDOT meter with 12-12-12 signal
Overhead + HOV meter

When not in use, they rest in green. They have a yellow indication wired (as stated in the standard specs), but I have never seen them used. I asked around at the state traffic op's office (STOC) and no one seemed to know what the yellow was used for (many didn't even know it was there :banghead: ) So much for the right hand knowing what the left hand is doing. :no:

Advanced warning is almost identical to what KEK shows for Washington, except replace the plaque below the diamond with another 12-in amber signal. When the meter is active, both lights flash simultaneously.

WisDOT Meter Warning assembly
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Big John

^^ the yellow is used when metering begins for that time period to warn it is no longer solid green.

DaBigE

Quote from: Big John on March 12, 2014, 05:13:28 PM
^^ the yellow is used when metering begins for that time period to warn it is no longer solid green.

Interesting...makes sense. I've never been around at the exact time when metering started, only well-before or well-after.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

MASTERNC

Here is Georgia's warning sign (it lights up when the meters are on)

And Pennsylvania's

I-476 at US 30

realjd

Quote from: jake on March 11, 2014, 07:15:39 PM

You really only see that where the ramps are metered, which saddens me because I like places like Hawaii's method of placing directional-dotted lines whenever a lane begins or ends. Looks much more interesting in my opinion.

In the San Diego area, they use solid white lines on ramps to mark off the HOV merge lanes:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Carlsbad,+CA/@33.1228426,-117.3216691,151m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x80dc73453f3bee59:0xa4cb5592fcf65d2f

mrsman

Many of the metering lights in the Los Angeles area have an 8-8-8 on top with an 8-8 on bottom. 

Here's and example at I-10 westbound at Overland:  http://goo.gl/maps/xjRTk

The typical metering operation is red-green-red-green, but similar to Wisconsin, the yellow is used only when transitioning from solid green to metering operation.  I guess the authorities felt that because the yellow was rare, it only needed to be shown on the upper signals.

I don't know about the operation today, but back in the late 90's when this was on my commute, the meter light on the southbound on-ramp from La Cienega to the 405 freeway south (just north of Florence) had meters off during morning rush, solid green around noon, and then red-green rapid metering during the afternoon rush.

myosh_tino

Up here in northern California, metering lights are usually 12-12-12 on top and 8-8-8 on the bottom.  Around here, the yellow light is used when 2 cars are allowed per green (signal cycles red-green-yellow-red-green-yellow-red etc).  While the 2-cars-per-green is not typical, it is used on some higher volume ramps like from CA-17 to southbound CA-85 during the evening commute.

If a major holiday falls on a weekday, metering lights are still activated but are always green.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

txstateends

IINM, the only ramp meters I ever saw were in Dallas along US 75-N. Central Expwy.  From what I remember, they didn't work at all or only sometimes, but were largely ignored.  As this pic (looking SB at the old-style Walnut Hill exit) shows, if they were supposed to help traffic on Central, it was definitely a too-little-too-late situation.  So, if there ever were 'standards', they probably went out the window or were laughed at by the time I first started seeing them (late 1960s).

The meters weren't replaced when Central was redone between 1989 and 1999.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.