News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What is your favorite part of a roadmeet?

Started by bugo, December 29, 2017, 05:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I like to stop at an old bridge that has been converted to a pedestrian bridge and walk out on it. This gives the attendees a chance to socialize and stretch their legs. Being in a car during most of the trip means you only get to talk to those who are in the car with you. At the St Louis meet in 2014, we stopped at the Chain of Rocks bridge over the Mississippi and walked to the bend. It was a great opportunity to get to know each other. If I ever host another Tulsa meet the Jenks and Bixby bridges (both 19 span pony truss bridges over the Arkansas River) will be major destinations.

bandit957

My favorite part is when people rip bunker blasts.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Brandon

Much agreed.  Any chance to get out of the vehicle and actually see & walk the thing we're looking at is a good time.  In addition, the meet lunch is usually pretty good for talking with people.

I'll pass on the bunker blasts.  Please, keep such things to yourself.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kphoger

+2 on bridges.  Whether you're on top of them, under them, or hiking through grass at a construction site.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Marf

I have never been to a roadmeet, but I think it might be the roads!  :bigass:
Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

vdeane

I think my favorite part is the meet lunch.

Quote from: bandit957 on December 29, 2017, 05:11:29 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 29, 2017, 05:28:39 PM
Much agreed.
Looks like we have two votes for bunker blasts!  :bigass:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Quote from: vdeane on December 29, 2017, 07:29:32 PM
I think my favorite part is the meet lunch.

Quote from: bandit957 on December 29, 2017, 05:11:29 PM
Much agreed.
Looks like we have three votes for bunker blasts!  :bigass:

Nice bit of selective editing.  I can do it too.  :-D
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Anyway.
My favorite part is the socializing.

TheHighwayMan3561

I'll pass some of the bunker blasts.  Please, don't keep such things to yourself, it's bad for gut health.

:bigass:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on December 29, 2017, 05:02:53 PM
I like to stop at an old bridge that has been converted to a pedestrian bridge and walk out on it. This gives the attendees a chance to socialize and stretch their legs. Being in a car during most of the trip means you only get to talk to those who are in the car with you. At the St Louis meet in 2014, we stopped at the Chain of Rocks bridge over the Mississippi and walked to the bend. It was a great opportunity to get to know each other. If I ever host another Tulsa meet the Jenks and Bixby bridges (both 19 span pony truss bridges over the Arkansas River) will be major destinations.

You would have enjoyed the recent Delaware meet. Although we weren't walking on any old converted bridges, we were on a couple of newly-built structures over the future US 301 toll road, and stopped beneath three of the bridges on the canal.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

For me it is socializing both at lunch and at tour stops, also I try to have a mini van at most of the meets I have been too (especially the ones I host) this way I can have more people in a vehicle then just a regular car.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

SSOWorld

Quote from: jpi on December 31, 2017, 12:24:43 PM
For me it is socializing both at lunch and at tour stops, also I try to have a mini van at most of the meets I have been too (especially the ones I host) this way I can have more people in a vehicle then just a regular car.
you driving said mini-van on the outer lane of the 59th street bridge
  me: Put the camera down!!!

:rofl:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jpi

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 31, 2017, 12:43:31 PM
Quote from: jpi on December 31, 2017, 12:24:43 PM
you driving said mini-van on the outer lane of the 59th street bridge
  me: Put the camera down!!!

:rofl:
Yeah, that was pretty funny but I did get some good pics from there that day  :bigass:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

US 89

Alps

A.J. Bertin

My favorite part of a road meet is not the roads. It's the opportunity to connect with friends I don't see in person very often and the opportunity to travel to places I would otherwise have no reason to go to (route clinching, county collecting, exploring random cities, etc.). Seeing all the infrastructure is cool, but that other stuff is more important to me.
-A.J. from Michigan

bugo

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 01, 2018, 09:07:14 PM
My favorite part of a road meet is not the roads. It's the opportunity to connect with friends I don't see in person very often and the opportunity to travel to places I would otherwise have no reason to go to (route clinching, county collecting, exploring random cities, etc.). Seeing all the infrastructure is cool, but that other stuff is more important to me.

Agreed. That's why I like to stop and walk across bridges and whatnot.

US71

Quote from: bugo on January 03, 2018, 12:28:50 AM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 01, 2018, 09:07:14 PM

Agreed. That's why I like to stop and walk across bridges and whatnot.

When I did Cody's meet a couple years ago, I came out  old US 78 and found a couple old sections of the Bankhead Highway near Tupelo. It took me an extra day, but I like looking for old alignments.

Last year's RMCA meet, I took several old 2-lanes.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.