News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

East Kellog Construction- Wichita

Started by roadman65, March 22, 2018, 09:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

http://eastkelloggimprovements.com/assets/uploads/about-pdfs/EastKelloggOverview_01-2018.pdf
I was noticing that the freeway upgrade includes three new ramps at the current crossover between US 54 & 400 with I-35.  I take that the current Trumpet to Trumpet will remain with these new ramps for KTag users?

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

J N Winkler

Yes, that is the plan as I understand it--the direct connections between Kellogg and the Turnpike at the southern end of K-96 are for K-Tag only.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadman65

It looks also that the way the present Exit 50 is will be permanent.  No connections to the WB US 54 or its service road.  You will have to merge into the EB Service Rd. and turnabout over the freeway at Webb Road to the WB Service Rd and enter US 54 that way.

Sheryl Crowe

J N Winkler

Yes.  The original plan called for a much more elaborate rebuild of Exit 50, but when that was progressed through final design and the contract was let, the sole bid came in way over estimate.  It was then decided to merge Kellogg/Webb/KTA and Wiedemann-127th into a single project with multiple contracts, to downgrade Exit 50 into a side access connecting directly to the eastbound frontage road only, and to provide K-Tag ramps between Kellogg and the Turnpike near K-96's eastern terminus.

This rescoping of the project has made it easier to build within the budget, but renders the Turnpike less accessible overall to cash users.  It was a factor in my deciding to open a K-Tag account, although I did not pull the trigger until 2016.  The local reaction to the downgrading of Exit 50 has been mostly "meh" because, for much of Wichita, the mid-1990's K-254 expressway between Park City and El Dorado furnishes a logical cutoff on journeys to the northeast--it is both cheaper and shorter to take K-254 and pick up the Turnpike at Exit 71.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadman65

Hence why at the US 54 and 400 split has no traffic staying on 54, but most of it going for 400.  The K-254 handles through US 54 traffic across the state through Segwick and Butler Counties.  Plus the K-96 interchange IMO is redundant to the Kellogg off the KTA anyway.

Sheryl Crowe

Stephane Dumas

I revive this thread by mentionning this video showing the East Kellogg construction progress who was filmed on August 5.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbzJVfiOM98

Plutonic Panda

Been keeping an eye on this project from Google Maps. They don't seem to update Wichita that often.

mgk920

I've always been amazed at how this highway has progressively evolved over the years and continues to evolve from a major city surface street into a full urban freeway.

Mike

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on March 22, 2018, 09:06:12 PM
http://eastkelloggimprovements.com/assets/uploads/about-pdfs/EastKelloggOverview_01-2018.pdf
I was noticing that the freeway upgrade includes three new ramps at the current crossover between US 54 & 400 with I-35.  I take that the current Trumpet to Trumpet will remain with these new ramps for KTag users?

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 24, 2018, 04:01:43 PM
Yes, that is the plan as I understand it--the direct connections between Kellogg and the Turnpike at the southern end of K-96 are for K-Tag only.

I must be terribly dense, but what Trumpet-to-Trumpet is this referring to?  The one at Exit #50 hasn't existed for months (only half of it remains) and is not part of the plan linked to.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

I understood Roadman65 to be asking about the new K-Tag slip ramps, so I answered his question accordingly.  The I-35/K-96 connection is not a true double trumpet because the K-96 end is more of a parclo.

Stephane Dumas

rte66man

They are going to regret not making the frontage roads 3 through lanes each direction.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

kphoger

Quote from: rte66man on December 22, 2018, 12:21:30 PM
They are going to regret not making the frontage roads 3 through lanes each direction.

My experience (living 2½ blocks from Kellogg) is that two lanes is sufficient, but some of the existing interchange slips are not spaced well.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

rte66man

Quote from: kphoger on December 22, 2018, 03:52:29 PM
Quote from: rte66man on December 22, 2018, 12:21:30 PM

My experience (living 2½ blocks from Kellogg) is that two lanes is sufficient, but some of the existing interchange slips are not spaced well.

Also wished they'd used the Texas method of on/off ramps where the weaving is all on the frontage roads.  OK blew it with the Kilpatrick along Memorial.  The ramps are so close to the cross streets that there is no space to get far right to make a right. 
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

J N Winkler

TTI presentation on use in Texas of X-ramp rather than diamond ramp configurations

As a person who usually finds himself in Texas as a stranger driver, I have little enthusiasm for the X-ramp design because I find it adds to the difficulty of locating the desired cross street.  Ramp design for frontage roads involves selecting tradeoffs and I feel that ramp reversal projects (usually diamond ramp to X-ramp) tend to improve conditions for local drivers at the expense of nonlocal drivers.

In Wichita I deal with the limited space to swoop right by exiting early.  E.g., there is a car dealership close to the southwest corner of Kellogg and Armour where I buy parts and supplies for my Camry, and although I can reach its entrance directly from the eastbound Armour off-ramp if I am lucky with traffic gaps and swoop aggressively enough, I usually exit early, at Woodlawn, and work my way right on the frontage road more gradually.  By deploying this maneuver with diamond ramps I am choosing to do what X-ramps would force me to do, and I can pull it off without getting lost or swept past my desired turning point since I am leveraging several decades' worth of local knowledge.

Plutonic Panda

I love the modern Texas method of service roads(including entrances and exits) and I prefer them over anything I've encountered so far. KDOT would be wise m, IMO, to implement such designs.

Stephane Dumas

Here the recent progress on East Kellogg shown in a aerial video posted on March 22.
https://youtu.be/4DVQoc8k63A

Plutonic Panda

Google has finally updated the imagery for the Wichita area.

kphoger

I take it you mean street view, not satellite.
Male pronouns, please.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2019, 02:42:31 PM
aerial imagery of the I-235/US-400 interchange has been updated.

kphoger

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 22, 2019, 03:20:12 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2019, 02:42:31 PM

aerial imagery of the I-235/US-400 interchange has been updated.

Not for me, it hasn't.

Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

This is what I see as of 2019-04-22 (Cox is my ISP):

This imagery is at least a year out of date--the north-to-west and north-to-east connections shown under construction have been open to traffic for months now.  I think only the NW loop ramp is on anything like its previous alignment.  There is still a SE loop ramp, but on a much easier alignment with a very long merge lane.

Plutonic Panda

Hmmmm... Google Earth has updated it. Maybe Google Maps hasn't.

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 22, 2019, 04:32:24 PM
This is what I see as of 2019-04-22 (Cox is my ISP):

Cox is my ISP too.  In fact, I snipped the image from my work computer, while on the job working as a contractor for Cox.   :D

I was using an incognito window of Chrome at the time.  Now I'm at home (also a Cox ISP), and both Edge and Chrome show me the same thing as on my work computer–which is earlier imagery than what you posted.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 22, 2019, 05:04:40 PMHmmmm... Google Earth has updated it. Maybe Google Maps hasn't.

Both screenshots are from Google Maps.

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2019, 07:02:29 PMCox is my ISP too.  In fact, I snipped the image from my work computer, while on the job working as a contractor for Cox.   :D

I was using an incognito window of Chrome at the time.  Now I'm at home (also a Cox ISP), and both Edge and Chrome show me the same thing as on my work computer–which is earlier imagery than what you posted.

I think I have found what is going on.  If I click on Globe, the imagery changes from what I posted to what you posted, and additional controls for 3D appear at the bottom left.

It would appear that Google is updating satellite imagery for Globe and "flat" view on separate schedules.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.