News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Not US holidays by tiers

Started by hbelkins, January 22, 2019, 02:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Quote from: formulanone on January 30, 2019, 06:06:10 PM
I don't know about making Super Bowl a holiday; it's already on a Sunday.

I think the more common suggestion is to make the following Monday a holiday. I think that idea is offensive. As you say, the NFL can move the game back a few hours on Sunday afternoon (like 3pm EST, when the conference championships start), or to Saturday evening, so people can celebrate as much as they like and still make it into work Monday morning. I've seen the NFL's explanations of why it has to be on Sunday evening, but they still leave me convinced that the NFL is being inconsiderate of working people and their employers, to the benefit mainly of the few domestic fans in the Alaska and Hawaii time zones.

I regularly attend Super Bowl-watching parties, which include people who aren't football fans but are there to socialize or watch the commercials. People who don't have a strong rooting interest in the game start drifting away after the halftime show (at the risk of missing a great third-quarter commercial -- my favorite one ever aired only once, in the third quarter).  It's worse still for party hosts who have to go to work the following morning, especially if the game goes into overtime, and if people want to watch the trophy presentation (after Super Bowl LI, also to see Roger Goodell booed off the stage).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

formulanone

Quote from: oscar on January 30, 2019, 07:24:34 PM

I think the more common suggestion is to make the following Monday a holiday.

I've heard it too, and the idea of creating a holiday out of a TV event borders on ludicrous. I don't think catering to poor decision-making is a good angle, and few businesses are going to go along with that.

I get the idea that for many of the attendees (and hangers-on) at the actual Super Bowl event, post-game traffic and other happenings probably make things even more difficult for trying to get to work the next day. I would think that those who make an event out of going to that game would take off the next day, unless they happen to live in close proximity to the event. That's an even better reason to put it on Saturday.

Scott5114

Quote from: formulanone on January 30, 2019, 08:02:15 PM

I think the more common suggestion is to make the following Monday a holiday.

I've heard it too, and the idea of creating a holiday out of a TV event borders on ludicrous.

Not even that, a holiday out of a TV event for the benefit of a for-profit corporation. If we do that, can I have a holiday to celebrate the next sale my business runs?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

renegade

Take out brady's knees and end his career.  Fitting punishment for being a cheater.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

abefroman329

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 22, 2019, 03:19:24 PM
Quote from: Brandon on January 22, 2019, 03:01:10 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on January 22, 2019, 12:30:10 PM
Super Sunday.  Everybody, even people who don't like the NFL, watches the game, often at a party. 

Maybe in some parts of the country, but others couldn't care less about the game.  I, for one, see no reason to watch it as my team has never been to a Super Bowl (and probably won't until after the eventual heat death of the universe).
People who smugly state "Oh, is there some sort of game today?" on Super Bowl Sunday are almost as insufferable...Watch it or don't, who cares?

There's also the folks who call it "hand-egg" or Superb Owl who think their joke is unique.

My team hasn't been in it for over 30 years, but I still like to see the best two (well, usually) teams play.

I don't know about making Super Bowl a holiday; it's already on a Sunday. There's no reason to air the game at 6:00 pm Eastern Time. Nobody's doing all that much on an early-February afternoon, and 10:00 pm is too late for a sporting event to end when there is work and school the following day. Obviously, this isn't as big a deal for those in Mountain and Pacific time zones, but it is for 2/3 of the United States. Put it back to 3:00 pm so families can watch the whole thing as a family or just have it on Saturday night so the over-zealous celebrants can be fresh for Monday. There's already a 14-day gap between games, and taking away one day isn't going to matter.
3 pm ET is 12 noon PT, which is too early of a start.  They need to find a block of time where they can maximize viewership nationwide, and 6 pm ET/3 pm PT must be it.

Rothman

Quote from: renegade on January 31, 2019, 12:00:08 AM
Take out brady's knees and end his career.  Fitting punishment for being a cheater.
Let the hate flow through you.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

What's your problem?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

renegade

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 31, 2019, 12:00:39 PM
What's your problem?
That should be obvious.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: renegade on January 31, 2019, 12:28:57 PM
What's your problem?
That should be obvious.
When did we hurt the Lions? Or are you a Jets fan?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 30, 2019, 06:13:56 PM
Quote from: ce929wax on January 30, 2019, 05:50:16 PM
I'm an ex-Lions fan, as I get older, I don't really have a team anymore, as I am more interested in playing the sports video games than I am keeping track of what is going on in the real life league.  I do a home brew fantasy style sports league where I take one team, create a schedule for them and then play those games on the video game.  I do the post season games at random.  Games I can't get to are put into a simulator at whatifsports.com and the first score that comes up is the one that is taken.

I still will pay to see baseball, hockey, and college/minor league sports in person.  You couldn't pay me to go to an NFL or NBA game.  I believe that the NFL and NBA are rigged to a certain extent, as I believe the referees are instructed to call certain games, certain ways.
Of course you think the NFL is rigged. You are a Lions fan.
Fans or former fans of 31 teams seem to agree. Blinders off.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Alps on January 31, 2019, 04:36:44 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 30, 2019, 06:13:56 PM
Quote from: ce929wax on January 30, 2019, 05:50:16 PM
I'm an ex-Lions fan, as I get older, I don't really have a team anymore, as I am more interested in playing the sports video games than I am keeping track of what is going on in the real life league.  I do a home brew fantasy style sports league where I take one team, create a schedule for them and then play those games on the video game.  I do the post season games at random.  Games I can't get to are put into a simulator at whatifsports.com and the first score that comes up is the one that is taken.

I still will pay to see baseball, hockey, and college/minor league sports in person.  You couldn't pay me to go to an NFL or NBA game.  I believe that the NFL and NBA are rigged to a certain extent, as I believe the referees are instructed to call certain games, certain ways.
Of course you think the NFL is rigged. You are a Lions fan.
Fans or former fans of 31 teams seem to agree. Blinders off.
Rams fans? LOL if all other 31 teams think that the league is rigged than the Patriots think so to.

Eth

I think the more common suggestion is to make the following Monday a holiday. I think that idea is offensive. As you say, the NFL can move the game back a few hours on Sunday afternoon (like 3pm EST, when the conference championships start), or to Saturday evening, so people can celebrate as much as they like and still make it into work Monday morning. I've seen the NFL's explanations of why it has to be on Sunday evening, but they still leave me convinced that the NFL is being inconsiderate of working people and their employers, to the benefit mainly of the few domestic fans in the Alaska and Hawaii time zones.

It could be worse. They keep putting the college football championship game at 8 PM EST on a Monday, which is just outright hostile to pretty much all fans. Move it to Saturday where it belongs.

jeffandnicole

There's a total of 1 game that starts the entire regular season around 6pm on a Sunday: One of the Conference Championship games.  So if that time slot is so great, why not have more games with that time slot during the regular season?

tdindy88

Quote from: Eth on January 31, 2019, 06:28:43 PM
It could be worse. They keep putting the college football championship game at 8 PM EST on a Monday, which is just outright hostile to pretty much all fans. Move it to Saturday where it belongs.

I have never understood the reason, logic and/or obsession with having both the football AND basketball college national championship games on a Monday night, especially since there is typically no holiday the day after.

hotdogPi

Quote from: tdindy88 on January 31, 2019, 08:03:52 PM

I have never understood the reason, logic and/or obsession with having both the football AND basketball college national championship games on a Monday night, especially since there is typically no holiday the day after.

Maybe it has to do with universities being closed on Sundays. (The one I go to is mostly open with a few things closed, but I don't know if that's the case everywhere.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

hbelkins

Quote from: tdindy88 on January 31, 2019, 08:03:52 PM

Well, with basketball, the tournament games are either Thursday-Saturday, or Friday-Sunday for the first rounds, so if you wanted to play the finals on a weekend, you'd have to have the semis on a weekday. The big issue with basketball to me is the late start time. The game doesn't tip off until around 9:20. Factor in a normal two-hour window for a college basketball game, and you're looking at the game being over around 11:20. The omnipresent media timeouts add even more time, as they certainly feel long than a normal 60-second timeout. (The NCAA really should make a rule that if a team calls a timeout within a one-minute window of the every-four-minute TV timeouts, there will be no extra TV timeout.) If there are lots of clock stoppages for fouls or turnovers, it goes longer. And overtime? It's usually after midnight by the time they play "One Shining Moment." You could move the game up to 8 p.m., but that means a 5 p.m. start on the west coast. Perhaps there should be a compromise and start at 8 unless a Pacific Time Zone team's in the finals.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 31, 2019, 02:42:18 PM
What's your problem?
That should be obvious.

I guess dislike of the Patriots is kinda deflating?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Brandon on February 01, 2019, 01:52:55 PM
What's your problem?
That should be obvious.

I think that we will retire this discussion early.

Brandon

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 01, 2019, 02:20:16 PM
What's your problem?
That should be obvious.

It's obviously been recorded.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SP Cook

New England - Cheats.  Because they have been caught twice, it is reasonable to assume they have done it 1000s of time in all sorts of schemes.  As such, it is really impossible to compare the things they have done to other teams which follow the rules.  It is like a good student who cribs the test.  Maybe he was smart enough to get As fairly, but we can never know that.

Game times - All finals in every sport start far too late.  77% of people in the USA live in the Eastern or Central time zones.  (If you include Canada, which has teams in every sport except the NCAA and the NFL, the %age is yet more skewed eastward).  No game of national significance should start after 8 ET.  If someone chooses to live in the west, they need to take off early.  The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.  (Star Trek reference there). 

To me, the dumbest start time is the NFL's regular season Sunday Night game.  Again, it is Sunday Night, so work is not an issue for most people.  The late game starts at 4:25 ET, so it should be over in 3 hours, 7:25.  So a very long game is certainly done by 7:45.  And then they sit around and wait until 8:25 to start the next game.  Why?

US 89

This seems like a good opportunity to remind everyone why the Mountain time zone is the best.  :sombrero:

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Brandon on February 01, 2019, 03:00:30 PM
What's your problem?
That should be obvious.

Yeah, and they will see you padding the discussion with talk at the wrong time.

Brandon

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 01, 2019, 04:35:00 PM
What's your problem?
That should be obvious.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Brandon on February 01, 2019, 07:07:56 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 01, 2019, 04:35:00 PM
What's your problem?
That should be obvious.

I was continuing the joke.

ce929wax

Sometimes with my home brew sports leagues I wish is was in Mountain Time or at least Central.  When I have games on the west coast they start at 10 or 10:30 and I am up until 12:30 (sometimes 1) playing the game. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.