Boston and Montreal: June 13 - 19, 21 - 27 2019

Started by noelbotevera, March 20, 2019, 07:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Soon, in less than three months, I plan to be travelling to New Orleans or Montreal (still deciding between the two) or the Philippines. The latter scenario is looking increasingly unlikely, but nonetheless I will still plan out both scenarios.

First, I should note that dates haven't been set in stone yet. Currently, my family plans to get two to three weeks off, to allow time for meandering and sightseeing. These trips will occur sometime in June (if we're lucky) or August (if we're unlucky).

I should also address that if I go to the Philippines, I am a total newbie at trying to plan out a trip involving flights. Any suggestions would be first-rate and greatly appreciated.

PHILIPPINES
Destination: Manila, Philippines and other destinations in Visayas
Proposed Airport: Dulles Airport (IAD)
Route: I-81 -> I-70 -> US 15 -> VA 267 -> some airport roads
Note: I understand that I have to get there ASAP, so no time to dilly-dally.

Note 2: Still figuring out finding finances. In short, my grandfather is supposed to pay for the trip (it's clearly more complex than that), and I'm still trying to find the best flight. Anyone got ideas for how to find the best flight?

-Arrive at Dulles at least two hours before the flight, parking the car at Long Term Parking.

-Travel to the Philippines via plane; perhaps do some sightseeing if we have a long layover (2+ hours)

-Sightsee in the Philippines. Since I don't know the Philippines that well, I'll leave my dad to do all of the sightseeing and transportation. I don't plan on getting a rental car because traffic is horrid, so most travel will be by foot or by jeepney.

-Take care of family affairs, as it has been over 15 years since we've last been in the Philippines.

-Leave and go home.

In short, I don't really have a well thought out structure for this trip, and that's because I'm simply naive to the Philippines. If someone has prior travel experience there, then feel free to share. I should know enough Tagalog to get by, and my dad should stop us from visiting any slums or shady neighborhoods.

NEW ORLEANS
Note 3: This section will be more in depth, because I do have a rough outline of what I want to do. For readability purposes, I've split this sections up into three segments.

Part 1 Destination  Atlanta, Georgia
Route: The Slightly More Interesting Route

-Day 1: Reach Knoxville, detouring via West Virginia to make use of scenery.

-Day 2: Reach Chattanooga, but use US 27 instead of I-75 to admire some scenery near the city.

-Day 3: Sightsee a bit in the morning, with a short side trip to Monteagle. Drive to Atlanta and do more sightseeing.

Routes Converge
-Would like suggestions for what to do in Atlanta. Some ideas I have is the 1996 Olympics site, Coca-Cola HQ, MLK's birth home, and maybe assorted museums. Maybe visit a friend who's been here for college.

-Will spend Days 3-5 here. By the evening of day 5, or morning of day 6, make our way to New Orleans.

Part 2 Destination: New Orleans, Louisiana
Route: I-85 -> I-65 -> I-10

-Arrive in NOLA by day 6; maybe visit a bar or listen to jazz in downtown if time permits.

-Still thinking of attractions to visit, but I have a few in mind. The French Quarter, Pirate's Alley (was a home of William Faulkner, an esteemed writer), Louis Armstrong Park, some churches, and take a look at remnants of Hurricane Katrina damage

-Spend days 7-11 in NOLA, giving me five days.

Part 3 Destination: Asheville, North Carolina
Day 12 Route: I-59 -> I-75

-On day 12, drive up to Athens, TN and check into a hotel for the night. If time permits, drive around in the Great Smoky Mountains.

-Day 13 sights: Tail of the Dragon and Fontana Dam, Pigeon Forge-Gatlinburg area (Dollywood, if time), assorted sights in Nantahala National Forest, Asheville I

-Day 14 sights: Asheville II, Blue Ridge Parkway, assorted sights in Pisgah and Cherokee National Forests; pick up some real BBQ

Part 4 Destination: Chambersburg, PA
Route: I-26 -> I-81

-Day 15: Drive home.

I'm probably working with an unreasonable schedule, but I have an extra two days in case something messes up. If I have more time to work with, I could probably squeeze an extra day in NOLA.

Once again, suggestions are appreciated.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

abefroman329

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 20, 2019, 07:53:51 PMAnyone got ideas for how to find the best flight?
Google Flights, though if you're anti-Google, Kayak is a close second.  Both would allow you to conduct a search based on your personal definition of "best" (cheapest, shortest travel time, fewest number of stops, etc.).

If the age in your profile is correct, and you're a minor, then you'll need to look into the requirements for a minor traveling with only one parent, both those set by the airline and those set by the immigration authorities of the US and the Philippines.  Expect that all will take a closer look at a child traveling alone with their father vs. traveling alone with their mother, and you don't want to be turned away because you didn't prepare adequately.

noelbotevera

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 21, 2019, 09:18:20 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on March 20, 2019, 07:53:51 PMAnyone got ideas for how to find the best flight?
Google Flights, though if you're anti-Google, Kayak is a close second.  Both would allow you to conduct a search based on your personal definition of "best" (cheapest, shortest travel time, fewest number of stops, etc.).

If the age in your profile is correct, and you're a minor, then you'll need to look into the requirements for a minor traveling with only one parent, both those set by the airline and those set by the immigration authorities of the US and the Philippines.  Expect that all will take a closer look at a child traveling alone with their father vs. traveling alone with their mother, and you don't want to be turned away because you didn't prepare adequately.
Fair enough; I have done some fairly detailed searching for flights. Any airlines you'd recommend for overseas flights?

Yes, that is my true age; I thought that immigration authorities would give us a pass because I have a parent along, and we're only visitng, but I suppose the way my father looks plus a child alone with their father is somewhat suspicious. I expected airlines to give me a hassle, but this comes as a slight surprise.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

1995hoo

I don't know about the Philippines, but Canada requires that a minor travelling with only one parent have a notarized letter from the other parent giving permission for the trip, this because of incidents in the past where parents involved in custody battles have absconded with kids. Travel.state.gov might have relevant information. Don't guess. Do thorough research and if you can't find an answer online, perhaps you could contact the embassy in DC.

Regarding the driving itineraries, I think Staunton to Augusta is a pretty easy day's drive. I've done Northern Virginia to Macon within the past five years and it was easy, though long. When I was 24 I did Northern Virginia to Montgomery in one day via the I-81/I-40/I-75/I-24/I-59/I-459/I-65 route. It was also pretty easy, except for afternoon traffic near Birmingham, but it's a long enough day that it's not a distance I would manage now in my mid-40s. My lower back would be way too stiff by the end of the day, even with seat heaters.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

PHILIPPINE CONSULATE GENERAL
A D V I S O R Y

MINORS TRAVELLING TO THE PHILIPPINES

Updated information from the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and the Philippine
Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) on minors travelling to, or departing from the
Philippines:

FOREIGN MINORS TRAVELLING TO THE PHILIPPINES:

1. WHAT IS A WAIVER OF EXCLUSION GROUND (WEG)?

Under the provisions of the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940, foreign minors travelling
unaccompanied by or not coming to a parent, are considered "excludable aliens"  and must secure a
"Waiver of Exclusion Ground" (WEG) issued by the Bureau of Immigration.

2. WHO ARE COVERED BY THIS REQUIREMENT?

As a general rule Foreign Nationals below 15 years old traveling alone to the Philippines, or
accompanied by persons other than their parents must secure a WEG.

3. WHO ARE EXEMPTED FROM THE WEG REQUIREMENT?

- Foreign minors accompanied by either parent (NOTE: If the last name of the child is different
from the last name of the accompanying parent, documentary proof of the relationship
between the parent and the child may need to be presented to the airline and the Immigration
Officer; the child's authentic Birth Certificate is recommended).

- Foreign minors 15 years old and above;

- Foreign minors (below 15 years old) with Philippine ancestry if they are accompanied by a
Filipino grandfather, grandmother, guardian or relative, provided that the accompanying travel
companion submits proof of the children's Philippine ancestry to the Bureau of
Immigration at the port of entry. The parent of the child/ren is advised to execute an Affidavit
of Consent to Travel that states the name of the travel companion and the latter's relations
with the child/ren. The Affidavit must be executed at the Philippine Consulate General, signed
by at least one natural parent or guardian.

- Foreign minors below 15 years old who have lawful residence in the Philippines or have been
issued re-entry permit;

- Dual Filipino-Foreign nationals who can show proof of Philippine citizenship (valid Philippine
passport or Identification Certificate) in addition to a foreign passport.

4. DO MINORS TRAVELLING ALONE TO THE PHILIPPINES USING THEIR PHILIPPINE
PASSPORTS NEED A WEG?

No, as Filipino citizens, they are NOT considered excludable. However, if they are DEPARTING
FROM the Philippines alone or accompanied by persons other than their parent/s, they may need a
Travel Clearance unless they are able to present documents exempting them from this regulation
(more on Travel Clearance below).

5. WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR A WEG?

a. Affidavit of Consent, Guaranty and Request for the Issuance of the Waiver Of Exclusion Ground
(WEG) executed by at least one parent or by a legally appointed guardian of the child naming
therein the person who will accompany the child to the Philippines and with whom the child will
reside in the country (the said Affidavit must be submitted to the Consulate General prior to the
child's departure for the Philippines and presented to the Bureau of Immigration upon arrival in
the Philippines).

b. Photocopy of the Birth Certificate of the child

c. Photocopy of the data page of the child's passport

d. Photocopy of the passport of the accompanying adult or guardian

6. HOW DO I OBTAIN AN AFFIDAVIT OF CONSENT FOR THE WEG?

- The Affidavit of Consent may be filed at the Philippine Consulate General in person. One parent
or legal guardian must bring the duly accomplished form (download from www.pcgny.net), a
photocopy of the same, and two photocopies of a valid Philippine or US passport and a second
valid photo-ID. The Consulate charges $25.00 per document notarized.

- If the person who will sign the Affidavit of Consent cannot come to the Consulate, and he is a
resident of New York, New Jersey or Connecticut, s/he must comply with the following steps.
Step 1: have the affidavit of consent notarized by any local notary public; Step 2: bring the
notarized Affidavit to the Office of the County Clerk where the notary public is registered. The
county clerk's office must attach a certification to the notarized affidavit that the notary public is
registered in the county. Step 3: send the Affidavit to the Consulate for Authentication. The
Consulate charges $25.00 per authentication.

- If the person who will sign the Affidavit of Consent cannot come to the Consulate, and s/he is a
resident of Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island or
Vermont, he must comply with the following steps. Step 1: have the Affidavit of Consent
notarized by any local notary public. Step 2: bring the notarized affidavit to the office of the
Secretary of State. The Office of the Secretary of State must attach a certification to the
notarized affidavit that the notary public is registered in the state. Step 3: send the affidavit to the
Consulate for authentication. The Consulate charges $25.00 per authentication.

- The Affidavit of Consent that has been properly notarized and processed by the County Clerk or
the Secretary of State may also be sent to the Consulate by mail, along with payment in the form
of a money order and a self-addressed, pre-paid and stamped priority/express USPS envelope.

7. WHAT FEES MUST BE PAID FOR THE WEG?

- For processing the Affidavit of Consent to Travel (with all other documents attached), the
Philippine Consulate General charges a fee of $25.00

- Upon arrival in the Philippine, the Bureau of Immigration charges the following fees (as of June
2009 - please check www.immigration.gov.ph for latest fee schedule):

a) Application fee: Php 2,000.00;

b) W.E.G. fee: Php 600.00;

c) Legal Research Fee: Php 20.00;

d) Express Lane fee: Php 500.00

- WEG application filed at the port of entry requires that the applicant leave the passport with the
Bureau of Immigration, which will be released only after the WEG is secured.

- For Non-US passport holders arriving from the US, a copy of the Alien Registration Card or proof
of legal residency in the US is required

8. IF MY STAY IN THE PHILIPPINES REQUIRES THAT I APPLY FOR A VISA, CAN I ALREADY
APPLY FOR A VISA SIMULTANEOUS WITH MY APPLICATION FOR AN AFFIDAVIT OF
CONSENT?

Yes, if entry or duration of stay requires a visa, one can apply for a visa simultaneous with the
application for the Affidavit of Consent.
Visa requirements are: i) accomplished FA Form 2-A; ii) passport valid for at least 6 months beyond
the proposed stay in the Philippines; iii) proof of financial capacity of parents; and iv)photocopy of
airline ticket and travel itinerary. For the list of visa fees, please visit our website: www.pcgny.net

9. DO MINOR CHILDREN OF FILIPINOS/ FORMER FILIPINOS NEED A VISA TO TRAVEL TO THE
PHILIPPINES WHEN USING A U.S. PASSPORT AND ARRIVING ALONE?

Like all US passport holders, if the duration of stay is more than 21 days, a visa will be needed
(NOTE: Sufficient proof of Filipino ancestry must be presented upon arrival to avail of exemption from
WEG requirements).

[...]

For updated information tailored to your specific needs, please visit the website of the Philippine
Bureau of Immigration (http://immigration.gov.ph/) and the Philippine Department of Social Welfare and
Development (http://www.dswd.gov.ph/).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

noelbotevera

Alright, so I think I should be A-OK with travelling to the Philippines. I don't anticipate any problems with the US side of things, but who knows; they tend to have stricter guidelines.

With NOLA, I think I've got a new, more interesting day 1 route by staying in Knoxville rather than Staunton. The upshot of this is that I get additional time, cutting travel time down from 3 days to 2, and it is much more scenic than sticking to I-81.

Route: I-81 -> I-70 -> I-68 -> I-79 -> US 19 -> I-77 -> I-81 -> I-40 -> I-75
Hotel: Most likely somewhere along I-75, as I have to make it to Chattanooga the next day.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

noelbotevera

Things have taken a more interesting turn.

Due to some schedule shenanigans, it turns I'll bundle this trip with a trip to Montreal. I'm thinking of also sneaking time in Boston as well. I suppose I should get to planning the route now, but here's a rough sketch of how things will work:

June 12th - June 20th: NOLA and the Smokies; return home on the night of June 20th/early morning of June 21st
June 21st - June 27th: Montreal and Boston; return home by June 28th

I'll ask my dad to see if I can't get additional time to move the start date to June 10th or 11th. That means I get an additional day in NOLA and the Smokies, or at the very least more driving time.

In short, I'll be adding 7 states (MS, LA, AL, GA, FL (planning to clip the corner by Atmore, AL), VT, and NH). Probably could get Maine if I persuade a bit. I'll also be adding Quebec to my list of visited provinces.

When I do plan to visit Quebec, any French phrases I should know? I know thank you (merci) and the four cardinal directions (nord, sud, est, and ouest).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

1995hoo

Most important phrase: Ou sont les toilettes, s'il vous plait?

I assume you can figure out what that means without a translation. ("Les toilettes" is customary even if there's only one.) The first time I visited Quebec, I was 11 years old and I did not know that phrase and I had to ask the question of someone who spoke no English, so after some failed words I kind of mimed standing at a urinal and that did the job. Better just to know how to ask!

But in Montreal you probably won't have any problems relying on English. Quebec City can be a very different story, but in Montreal most restaurants and hotels will be bilingual. Note that some restaurants will give you a French menu if you greet them in French and an English menu if you greet them in English, so if you walk in during the evening and say "bonsoir" the menu you get might not have any English. Of course you can just ask if needed. This is not always the case because some restaurants' menus are bilingual.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Rothman on March 25, 2019, 12:11:33 PM
Bonjour hi!
Heh, I'm pretty sure everyone knows that one.

So I know I don't have to worry with restaurants in Montreal, but what about whenever I go outside the city? I plan on doing so for one of the days, to visit the First Nation villages and the Laurentides where I'll either encounter more French or a totally foreign Native American language.

Oh, and the route:
I-81 -> I-88 -> I-87 -> A-15
   -I could probably find a more exciting route, but it's a nine hour drive. I don't think I have much time to faff around.

Montreal to Boston (2 routes):
A: A-10 -> A-35 -> I-89 -> I-93 -> US 3/Everett Turnpike (cause why not) -> I-495 or I-95 -> I-93 or MA 2 (involves surface streets)
B: A-10 -> A-55 -> I-91 -> I-93 (detour to Maine if possible via NH 101 and I-95)

I'm not sure which is a better ride; I-89 (seems twisty) or I-93 through Franconia Notch.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

kevinb1994

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 25, 2019, 08:47:53 PM
Bonjour hi!

So I know I don't have to worry with restaurants in Montreal, but what about whenever I go outside the city? I plan on doing so for one of the days, to visit the First Nation villages and the Laurentides where I'll either encounter more French or a totally foreign Native American language.

Oh, and the route:
I-81 -> I-88 -> I-87 -> A-15
   -I could probably find a more exciting route, but it's a nine hour drive. I don't think I have much time to faff around.

Montreal to Boston (2 routes):
A: A-10 -> A-35 -> I-89 -> I-93 -> US 3/Everett Turnpike (cause why not) -> I-495 or I-95 -> I-93 or MA 2 (involves surface streets)
B: A-10 -> A-55 -> I-91 -> I-93 (detour to Maine if possible via NH 101 and I-95)

I'm not sure which is a better ride; I-89 (seems twisty) or I-93 through Franconia Notch.

Just take I-93 through Franconia Notch, it's been documented well by Freewayjim.

Rothman

Bonjour hi!

Not really.  "Bonjour hi" is actually how French Canadian businesses greet their customers to show that they're bilingual.  Quebec was trying to put the kibosh on it some months ago and got some serious blowback from tourist dependent businesses.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dlsterner

Quote from: Rothman on March 25, 2019, 09:56:46 PM
Bonjour hi!

Not really.  "Bonjour hi" is actually how French Canadian businesses greet their customers to show that they're bilingual.  Quebec was trying to put the kibosh on it some months ago and got some serious blowback from tourist dependent businesses.

I can concur with that.  I visited Montréal back in 2015.  Everyone at the hotels and restaurants greeted me with some variant of "Bonjour, Hello" and depending on how I replied, knew whether to converse with me in French or in English.  I did try to reply "Oui" or "Merci" if appropriate later on.  You should have no problem in Montréal and its suburbs.

When checking in to my hotel I had printed out my reservation, figuring I could just point to it if I had to.  But the desk clerk was talking to the person in front of me in fluent English, so I knew there wouldn't be an issue.

1995hoo

One thing my now-wife was unprepared for the first time she visited Montreal was the bathroom faucets being labelled "C"  (hot) and "F"  (cold) because they're labelled in French. Of course the hot is still on the left and the cold on the right.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 26, 2019, 08:44:32 AM
Of course the hot is still on the left and the cold on the right.

Unless the faucet was installed the other way...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 26, 2019, 08:44:32 AM
One thing my now-wife was unprepared for the first time she visited Montreal was the bathroom faucets being labelled "C"  (hot) and "F"  (cold) because they're labelled in French. Of course the hot is still on the left and the cold on the right.
There's a bilingualism joke about the taps being labeled "C" (for chaud) and "C" (for cold).

noelbotevera

Well, looks like things have become interesting once more.

Sadly, I can't go to New Orleans this year, so I've scaled my ambitions down to Hampton Roads. So far, here's a general list of things I might see:

-Jamestown
-Yorktown
-Williamsburg and Busch Gardens
-Colonial Parkway
-Kitty Hawk, NC
-Monitor vs. Merrimac site (unsure if there's a marker)
-CBBT (will probably be used on the return trip)
-Norfolk Naval Base

After June 15th or so (I'll change the date when I get a more definite answer), I go back to Chambersburg, rest for a few days, pick up my mom and head to Montreal.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

sprjus4

Quote from: noelbotevera on May 20, 2019, 07:24:31 PM
-Kitty Hawk, NC
Just a tip if you plan on going from Hampton Roads down to Kitty Hawk, try to go during the week. Traffic is much heavier on Saturdays & Sundays, and the toll on the expressway through Chesapeake down that way spikes to $8 one-way (which does a good job at luring clueless tourists passing through). During the week, it's just $3 one-way which is much more reasonable, a lot less traffic, and less crazy drivers on the road.

Quote from: noelbotevera on May 20, 2019, 07:24:31 PM
-Monitor vs. Merrimac site (unsure if there's a marker)
There's a lookout & historical marker in Newport News - https://www.google.com/maps/@36.9823587,-76.3961986,446m/data=!3m1!1e3

1995hoo

The Wright Brothers memorial is in Kill Devil Hills because that's where the first flight actually took place.

froggie

QuoteI'm not sure which is a better ride; I-89 (seems twisty) or I-93 through Franconia Notch.

Just now seeing this so jumping in.  I-93 hands down.  Shorter and faster.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: froggie on May 21, 2019, 09:35:57 AM
QuoteI'm not sure which is a better ride; I-89 (seems twisty) or I-93 through Franconia Notch.

Just now seeing this so jumping in.  I-93 hands down.  Shorter and faster.

I'm also late to the thread....but I concur with this, and will point out that depending on your geo-geek interests, you may want to check out the border communities of Stanstead QC and Derby Line / Beebe Plain, VT if you go 10»55»91»93.

Also, depending on the dates of your trip...be aware that bridge construction and Turcot Interchange reconstruction leads to potential closures on routes of interest to roadgeeks on the weekend.  (Actually, Montreal is doing a very good job of turning parts of the city into an almost-undrivable mess with construction-related closures.)

noelbotevera

Ok, so far I have two options to choose from for the first week. It's Hampton Roads or Boston. I feel that the Smokies will have to be put on the backburner (and I'm slightly burnt out from consuming barbecue).

I might be able to squeeze June 20th (an extra day), but that means no scenic route up to Montreal. We'll have to stick with I-87. I may also be able to squeeze June 13th, but that's the day we leave Chambersburg, so we might not do much. Below, I've decided to compare the two cities and possible plans for each.

HAMPTON ROADS
PROS: History, nicer beaches
CONS: No rapid transit, spread out

BOSTON
PROS: Dense, also very historical
CONS: Worse traffic than Hampton Roads

ROUTE TO HAMPTON ROADS
I-81 -> I-66 -> US 17 -> I-95 -> I-295 -> I-64

ROUTE TO BOSTON
I-81 -> I-78 -> I-287 -> Hutch (and Westchester Avenue) -> CT 15 -> CT 8 -> I-84 -> I-90

HAMPTON PLAN
June 14th: Yorktown
June 15th: USS Wisconsin, Norfolk Naval Base, Monitor - Merrimac battle site
June 16th: Free day, nothing planned
June 17th: Jamestown
June 18th: Busch Gardens (possibly), Williamsburg (Governor's Palace + Old Capitol)
June 19th: Kitty Hawk, Roanoke Colony site; CBBT if time allows

BOSTON PLAN
June 14th: Salem and Concord (Walden Pond, Lexington and Concord battlefield)
June 15th: MIT, Harvard, Boston University (MLK's alma mater); JFK's house if time
June 16th: Boston Commons, Old North Church, Old State House & Boston Massacre site, Bunker & Breed's Hill
June 17th: Plymouth landing site, Cape Cod (probably only down to Sandwich)
June 18th: Free day; go to museums or visit sites not yet visited - possibly JFK's house
June 19th: Another free day; Cheer's bar? Franconia Notch? Maine?

As always, I'll modify this plan when the time comes. This'll likely change depending on hotel placement, but I'll probably switch the days that some events occur. Any warnings or wisdom is always appreciated.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

kevinb1994

Quote from: noelbotevera on May 26, 2019, 12:46:11 PM
Ok, so far I have two options to choose from for the first week. It's Hampton Roads or Boston. I feel that the Smokies will have to be put on the backburner (and I'm slightly burnt out from consuming barbecue).

I might be able to squeeze June 20th (an extra day), but that means no scenic route up to Montreal. We'll have to stick with I-87. I may also be able to squeeze June 13th, but that's the day we leave Chambersburg, so we might not do much. Below, I've decided to compare the two cities and possible plans for each.

HAMPTON ROADS
PROS: History, nicer beaches
CONS: No rapid transit, spread out

BOSTON
PROS: Dense, also very historical
CONS: Worse traffic than Hampton Roads

ROUTE TO HAMPTON ROADS
I-81 -> I-66 -> US 17 -> I-95 -> I-295 -> I-64

ROUTE TO BOSTON
I-81 -> I-78 -> I-287 -> Hutch (and Westchester Avenue) -> CT 15 -> CT 8 -> I-84 -> I-90

HAMPTON PLAN
June 14th: Yorktown
June 15th: USS Wisconsin, Norfolk Naval Base, Monitor - Merrimac battle site
June 16th: Free day, nothing planned
June 17th: Jamestown
June 18th: Busch Gardens (possibly), Williamsburg (Governor's Palace + Old Capitol)
June 19th: Kitty Hawk, Roanoke Colony site; CBBT if time allows

BOSTON PLAN
June 14th: Salem and Concord (Walden Pond, Lexington and Concord battlefield)
June 15th: MIT, Harvard, Boston University (MLK's alma mater); JFK's house if time
June 16th: Boston Commons, Old North Church, Old State House & Boston Massacre site, Bunker & Breed's Hill
June 17th: Plymouth landing site, Cape Cod (probably only down to Sandwich)
June 18th: Free day; go to museums or visit sites not yet visited - possibly JFK's house
June 19th: Another free day; Cheer's bar? Franconia Notch? Maine?

As always, I'll modify this plan when the time comes. This'll likely change depending on hotel placement, but I'll probably switch the days that some events occur. Any warnings or wisdom is always appreciated.

I would suggest that you drop Yorktown as there is somewhat limited hours there. Most of the stuff there is outside of Yorktown proper, so be prepared for that if you do go there.

Rothman

The traffic on I-64 through the tunnels can be worse than anywhere in Boston.

froggie

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.