News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Upstate NY to TN April 2019

Started by webny99, April 04, 2019, 09:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on April 04, 2019, 09:03:38 PM
For a small town, Chillicothe has a rather complex freeway network and system of interchanges.
Chillicothe seems to be a booming little place all around! We came in to the area from Hocking Hills on OH 180 > OH 159, and the amount of industrial activity in what appeared to be the middle of nowhere was pretty impressive.

On that note, US 35 from there to I-71 is a very nice road. I think that was where the greatest accumulation of time savings on our entire trip came from! 90 mph felt like a breeze with the low traffic volumes and flat terrain. I was really glad I opted for that route instead of OH 56 all the way to I-71. Google Maps says the latter is a few minutes longer, but with less opportunity to make up time, I think taking OH 56 would have cost us at least 10 minutes.

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 09, 2019, 07:36:19 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 09, 2019, 10:40:57 AM
I am wondering about visiting Ohio's Hocking Hills on the way down. The state park looks to be very highly rated. It could fit nicely into our route, while allowing me to double my new counties in Ohio. Has anyone been there, and if so, would they recommend it?
Sure. But its anywhere from 6-10 hours to cover everything within the Hocking Hills. Plenty of trails, cliffs, and waterfalls.
Yeah, you got that right! We arrived fairly early in the morning and did Old Man's Cave and Cedar Falls, but ran out of time for the Ash Cave. We had the whole thing almost to ourselves, but I can tell that it can get really busy. I am definitely hoping to go back there sometime (and next time I'll listen to Google and go through Columbus - we took I-77 > I-70 > OH 13 > OH 664, which was fun and scenic (and netted me a bunch of new counties), but it was rather nauseating after a while!!  :-D)

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 04, 2019, 03:01:23 PM
I thought I-71 between Akron and Columbus was relatively boring as well.
The six lane stretch near US 35 was nice, but the four lane stretch was pretty much the NYS Thruway all over again. The higher truck percentage more than offsets the higher speed limit, and the result: traffic flow on a spring morning that was not much better than the Thruway on a summer weekend. It should definitely be six lanes from Columbus to Cincinnati.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.