News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Next Exit X Miles

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, July 13, 2020, 02:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Some states put "Next Exit x Miles"  signs underneath ground BGS in rural areas, especially if the next exit is a fair ways away. But I noticed Minnesota's signs give the distance based on the upcoming exit, and Wisconsin's mark the distance from that particular BGS. What do other states do?

Example: If the upcoming exit is Exit 30 and the next exit after that is Exit 41, the sign on the 1 mile guide sign says "Next Exit 11 Miles" . Wisconsin's would say "Next Exif 12 miles"  in this situation.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

mrsman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 13, 2020, 02:49:02 PM
Some states put "Next Exit x Miles"  signs underneath ground BGS in rural areas, especially if the next exit is a fair ways away. But I noticed Minnesota's signs give the distance based on the upcoming exit, and Wisconsin's mark the distance from that particular BGS. What do other states do?

Example: If the upcoming exit is Exit 30 and the next exit after that is Exit 41, the sign on the 1 mile guide sign says "Next Exit 11 Miles" . Wisconsin's would say "Next Exif 12 miles"  in this situation.

Something like that would be a great feature, but I'm only familiar with it with respect to the NJTP.

Eth

I don't think there are any of these signs in Georgia, but we don't tend to have exits spaced very far apart anyway. I'm not even sure I can think of a gap of more than about 7 miles off the top of my head.

US 89

Even though I-80 in western Utah has the largest gap between exits on the Interstate system at 37 miles, I don't think Utah has any signs like this.

Sam

New York Thruway uses miles from BGS.

fwydriver405

Until the most recent sign replacement, the Maine Turnpike Authority used to put the "Next Exit X Miles (X km)" signs directly at the exit. The signs that were installed in the late 1990s had it in both miles and kilometres. Example at Exit 25 in Kennebunk.

The newer signs from the 2018 sign replacement (1, 2, 3) place this banner at the 1 or ½-mile advance and is in miles only. It is only displayed if the next exit is 10 or more miles away, similar what MassDOT does for similar signs on the Mass Pike.

roadman

MassDOT measures distance on NEXT EXIT XX MILES tabs from the advance BGS (typically the 1/2 mile sign) the tab is mounted with.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

stevashe

The only place I know in Washington that has "Next Exit" signage is at Exit 276 southbound on I-5, but since the sign is necessarily right at the exit, being just across the border from Canada, it's impossible to know whether WSDOT would choose to use distance from the BGS or from the exit based on this example.

The longest gaps between exits in Washington are Exit 115-Exit 136 on I-90 east of Ellensburg, and nearby on I-82 from Exit 11 to Exit 26, but no such warning about a lack of exits is present in either case. There are at least rest areas within both gaps, however.

nwi_navigator_1181

On the Indiana Toll Road, the "Next Exit"  sign is placed on the signs where the exit is one mile away. Their practice is giving the distance from the exit proper. Example:

One mile from exit 49 (Indiana 39) heading eastbound, the sign warns the next exit is 23 miles out. That exit is exit 72 (St. Joseph Valley Parkway). So the countdown starts at the exit.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

zachary_amaryllis

i realize i'm replying to an older thread (but i'm an older guy, so its ok, right?)

haven't been out there for a while, so they might not be there anymore, but i'm pretty sure I-76 in ne colorado has (or had) them between sterling and julesburg .. or perhaps the junction with I-80.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Ned Weasel

"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

formulanone

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on August 10, 2020, 10:43:41 PM
i realize i'm replying to an older thread (but i'm an older guy, so its ok, right?)

haven't been out there for a while, so they might not be there anymore, but i'm pretty sure I-76 in ne colorado has (or had) them between sterling and julesburg .. or perhaps the junction with I-80.

Generally, anything that adds to the thread topic is okay, as long as the thread isn't too old (for example, there's no sense getting into an argument where the previous information is no longer relevant).

Also, the Next Exit x Miles we're still on I-76, as of last year:

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: formulanone on August 11, 2020, 11:27:59 AM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on August 10, 2020, 10:43:41 PM

Generally, anything that adds to the thread topic is okay, as long as the thread isn't too old (for example, there's no sense getting into an argument where the previous information is no longer relevant).

Also, the Next Exit x Miles we're still on I-76, as of last year:

that is sooo far out in the middle of nowhere.. the 'next exit' is signed in the other direction as well:
https://goo.gl/maps/3UrZSNcTKyVzxWA59

clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

achilles765

There are quite a few in Louisiana. On IH 10, there's "next exit 12 miles"  between vinton and sulphur (exits 8 and 20); gross Tete and Lobdell (exits 139 and 151); gramercy and the first Laplace exit (exit 194 and 206) the second Laplace exit and IH 310 (208 and 220).
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.