News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Have you ever seen a traffic light with all three green arrows at once?

Started by KCRoadFan, January 15, 2021, 12:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

On some traffic light installations - especially the 4-aspect and 5-aspect setups - I've sometimes seen two green arrows lit at once: most commonly ahead and left (because these usually occur in conjunction with the dedicated left turn signals), but I've seen ahead and right arrows on occasion.

This makes me wonder: have you ever seen a traffic light setup in which green arrows for all three possible directions - right, left, and straight ahead - are lit all at the same time? If so, where? (I thought I remember seeing a 5-aspect installation like that - with all the arrows stacked on top of one another - on a June 2019 visit to Chicago, but I could be mistaken.)

I-55

Barboursville, WV at the intersection of West Mall Rd and US-60. It's been a while since I've been in the area, I used to be there about 3-4 times a year.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Big John

50 years ago there was an intersection in Green Bay had that setup.  It had 12" red and yellow lens, and the green arrows were on 8" lens

jmacswimmer

Park Ave/Chandler St in Worcester MA has the potential for it if the left-turn arrow on Park Ave is triggered only in one direction.  (This intersection was on our weekend coffee run route in college :))
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Jet380

STLmapboy

Quote from: Jet380 on January 16, 2021, 09:50:56 PM
Columbia, MO used to have one until the ahead and right turn arrows were replaced with circular aspects:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@38.9513118,-92.3218804,3a,45.8y,6.59h,87.79t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sDyDSja4owgDIW5_9vq0Y0g!2e0!5s20080401T000000!7i13312!8i6656
There are lots of signal setups in Missouri with four-aspect far right signals with both a right and straight green arrow. More examples include this, this, and this.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

jakeroot

For a single display, I don't believe it would be permitted anymore.

I recall an off-ramp in Iowa that had three overhead signals for three lanes; green left arrow, green right arrow, and the center display showed left, right, and straight-on green arrows. The off-ramp only had a single through signal because of this, and current MUTCD regulations require two through signals regardless of the importance of the through movement.

I've seen a setup identical to this, but instead of an up arrow, it has a green orb.

SkyPesos

Quote from: STLmapboy on January 17, 2021, 04:54:08 PM
Quote from: Jet380 on January 16, 2021, 09:50:56 PM
Columbia, MO used to have one until the ahead and right turn arrows were replaced with circular aspects:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@38.9513118,-92.3218804,3a,45.8y,6.59h,87.79t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sDyDSja4owgDIW5_9vq0Y0g!2e0!5s20080401T000000!7i13312!8i6656
There are lots of signal setups in Missouri with four-aspect far right signals with both a right and straight green arrow. More examples include this, this, and this.
MO 364's frontage roads between MM 8-13 (and probably frontage roads in general) is full of examples. But here's one at MO 364 EB and Harvester Rd with a standalone left, straight and right all green at the same time

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Revive 755

Quote from: jakeroot on January 17, 2021, 05:32:44 PM

The 2009 MUTCD still permits it.

Quote from:
Option:
In a vertically-arranged signal face, signal sections that display signal indications of the same color may be arranged horizontally adjacent to each other at right angles to the basic straight line arrangement to form a clustered signal face (see Figures 4D-2, 4D-9, 4D-11, 4D-16, and 4D-18).

Standard:
Such clusters shall be limited to the following:
A. Two identical signal sections,
B. Two or three different signal sections that display signal indications of the same color, or
C. For only the specific case described in Section 4D.25 (see Drawing B of Figure 4D-20), two signal sections, one of which displays a GREEN ARROW signal indication and the other of which displays a flashing YELLOW ARROW signal indication.

I recall an off-ramp in Iowa that had three overhead signals for three lanes; green left arrow, green right arrow, and the center display showed left, right, and straight-on green arrows. The off-ramp only had a single through signal because of this, and current MUTCD regulations require two through signals regardless of the importance of the through movement.

I-35/I-80 at 86th Street around Des Moines?

kphoger

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 18, 2021, 12:52:15 PM

I-35/I-80 at 86th Street around Des Moines?

Aw, snap!  I used that interchange several times recently (stayed at one of the hotels there during my last visit to Johnston), and I didn't remember the arrow stack.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mrsman

Quote from: jmacswimmer on January 15, 2021, 10:48:14 AM
Park Ave/Chandler St in Worcester MA has the potential for it if the left-turn arrow on Park Ave is triggered only in one direction.  (This intersection was on our weekend coffee run route in college :))

I had a question about this typed of signal that seems to be common in MA.  The straight arrow and right arrow are shown at the same time. 

How do these signals operate?  Are straight and right lit up the same time for part of the signal, or does this only occur when there are no pedestrians present?  Does the right turn arrow provide for a protected turn through the whole phase, or just a lagging turn phase when pedestrians are completed with their walk.

I am surprised to see them in Boston, in Back Bay no less, which is a heavily pedestrian district.  Do peds have to push the button to cross in every direction?

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3520515,-71.0783821,3a,75y,253.32h,82.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssyCM6ZC9Fjh29HWo8Pxzfw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

jakeroot

I recognize that the configuration is permitted, but where is the other through signal?

DrSmith

A couple of Chicopee Mass ones....
https://goo.gl/maps/Ty5zJsuGBEp2RK2P7

And this one before it has two different straight arrows based on the geometry and a right arrow, green ball, and FYA
https://goo.gl/maps/8DVP4GN82cZB3wbC9

Revive 755

Quote from: jakeroot on January 18, 2021, 03:39:48 PM

I recognize that the configuration is permitted, but where is the other through signal?

My mistake - I thought you meant the 3-section cluster was prohibited.

STLmapboy

Quote from: DrSmith on January 18, 2021, 08:29:50 PM
And this one before it has two different straight arrows based on the geometry and a right arrow, green ball, and FYA
https://goo.gl/maps/8DVP4GN82cZB3wbC9
Interesting case of a mast arm replace by a span wire.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

PurdueBill

Quote from: mrsman on January 18, 2021, 01:45:52 PM

I had a question about this typed of signal that seems to be common in MA.  The straight arrow and right arrow are shown at the same time. 

How do these signals operate?  Are straight and right lit up the same time for part of the signal, or does this only occur when there are no pedestrians present?  Does the right turn arrow provide for a protected turn through the whole phase, or just a lagging turn phase when pedestrians are completed with their walk.

I am surprised to see them in Boston, in Back Bay no less, which is a heavily pedestrian district.  Do peds have to push the button to cross in every direction?

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3520515,-71.0783821,3a,75y,253.32h,82.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssyCM6ZC9Fjh29HWo8Pxzfw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

A lot of them that used to be stacks of 4 with arrows were changed to all circles in the last 10 years.  It almost seems like that one had to have been missed.  All along Comm Ave, Beacon Street, and others, you can find where around 2009 there were arrows that are gone later, but that one stayed somehow.  Looking at Exeter and Newbury Streets, you can see that changing it from 2009 to 2011 the arrows go away and circles appear.  Same happens at places on Comm Ave and Beacon Street too.  They must have missed the one at Dartmouth and Comm Ave, unless they had some reason which would be weird but it's Boston.  When I was growing up in Boston, I remember the arrows all over downtown, sometimes even 8-inch ones in the stacks of 4.  There is grainy old street view of Charles Street with some of the old stacks of 4 8-inch lenses with two arrows, with no walk signals.  By 2009, they were replaced with new 8-inch signals, which was nice to at least keep that.  Beside the signals getting really old, to add walk signals was going to require getting rid of the arrows.  The 2007 signals were old enough to probably have been around when Charles Street was reversed; in summer 2018 walking and driving there it still felt like it was one way the wrong way--that's dating myself.

fwydriver405

The Riverside St and Brighton Ave intersection in Portland, Maine operates in the same fashion as described above, though those signals may be replaced in the future...

deathtopumpkins

Noticed the other day a signal I drive through all the time has all 3 green arrows at once!

https://goo.gl/maps/wz4vdqysjUvkdNe36

Wason Rd at NH 3A in Hudson, NH. The other directions at that same intersection have the potential to, but use green balls for the straight movement instead.

Looking around, Hudson appears to have at least one more example:
NH 111/Central St: https://goo.gl/maps/pbFW7xu7iNAVn6By8

I wouldn't be surprised if NH has more given the aversion to permissive lefts and the state's standard practice of using green up arrows on signal heads adjacent to turn arrows.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

roadfro

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 03, 2021, 11:10:21 AM
Noticed the other day a signal I drive through all the time has all 3 green arrows at once!

https://goo.gl/maps/wz4vdqysjUvkdNe36

Wason Rd at NH 3A in Hudson, NH. The other directions at that same intersection have the potential to, but use green balls for the straight movement instead.

I'm curious for this example (1) why a straight arrow was used overhead, and (2) if the right turn arrow still comes on when the walk signal is on for the crosswalk (which would be a conflict).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

fwydriver405

A few more I know of...

Maine: Augusta near the Civic Center
Massachusetts: Boston at Washington St, Cambridge at the O'Brien Hwy, Cambridge at Galileo Galilei Way (notice that there is only 1 thru head)
New Hampshire: Salem at Pelham Rd, Portsmouth at Market and Woodbury

Quote from: roadfro on February 04, 2021, 11:20:28 AM
I'm curious for this example (1) why a straight arrow was used overhead, and (2) if the right turn arrow still comes on when the walk signal is on for the crosswalk (which would be a conflict).

In most NH intersections, like the one that was linked, the pedestrian phase is usually exclusive ped phase.

STLmapboy

Example at Manchester and Berry in Greater STL (drove through yesterday when the PPLT had the green arrow lit up).
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

TEG24601

They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.