News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Most Iconic Bridge in Each Metro Area

Started by webny99, February 21, 2021, 01:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hwy 61 Revisited

And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

sparker

Los Angeles hasn't gotten a mention yet; although not particularly known for its bridges, the most iconic -- if now replaced -- would have been the 6th street viaduct, which not only bridged the L.A. River, but all the major rail lines coming into town along its banks, plus a big chunk of the warehouse/industrial area east of downtown.  I'm definitely making a trip back down to see its rather uniquely-designed replacement once it opens for traffic.  But in the interim, the only L.A. bridges that would warrant mention in the same breath are the Vincent Thomas suspension span (CA 47) between Terminal Island and San Pedro, and the new Gerald Desmond bridge replacement between that same island and downtown Long Beach (the southernmost reaches of I-710).  And, currently, that's about it! 

plain

Quote from: Dirt Roads on February 21, 2021, 05:33:05 PM
In Richmond, how about the CSXT Acca Bridge carrying the former Atlantic Coast Line (now CSXT's North End Subdivision) across the James River.  A majestic view of the Acca Bridge was created after the construction of the Powhite Parkway in the early 1970s.  To make things confusing, the other Acca Bridge is a 6-lane highway bridge carrying Westwood Avenue/Saunders Avenue (VA-197) over these same tracks at east end of Acca Yard (which is actually CSXT former Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac on the west leg of the wye).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83399266@N02/38128968532

I know I'm late with this but I agree, this bridge is easily the most iconic in the Richmond area. If the old Lee Bridge was still around then it would be right up there with it too.

Also notable is the Mayo Bridge (US 360), given that it's the oldest highway bridge across the James in the area still in use, and the I-295 Varina-Enon Bridge because it's the 2nd major modern cable-stayed bridge in the country (only the Sunshine Skyway is older).
Newark born, Richmond bred

DTComposer

Quote from: sparker on May 01, 2021, 04:29:31 PM
Los Angeles hasn't gotten a mention yet; although not particularly known for its bridges, the most iconic -- if now replaced -- would have been the 6th street viaduct, which not only bridged the L.A. River, but all the major rail lines coming into town along its banks, plus a big chunk of the warehouse/industrial area east of downtown.  I'm definitely making a trip back down to see its rather uniquely-designed replacement once it opens for traffic.  But in the interim, the only L.A. bridges that would warrant mention in the same breath are the Vincent Thomas suspension span (CA 47) between Terminal Island and San Pedro, and the new Gerald Desmond bridge replacement between that same island and downtown Long Beach (the southernmost reaches of I-710).  And, currently, that's about it! 

I'd also consider the Colorado Street viaduct over the Arroyo Seco (former US-66, then CA-134) in Pasadena.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on February 21, 2021, 05:33:05 PM
In Richmond, how about the CSXT Acca Bridge carrying the former Atlantic Coast Line (now CSXT's North End Subdivision) across the James River.  A majestic view of the Acca Bridge was created after the construction of the Powhite Parkway in the early 1970s.  To make things confusing, the other Acca Bridge is a 6-lane highway bridge carrying Westwood Avenue/Saunders Avenue (VA-197) over these same tracks at east end of Acca Yard (which is actually CSXT former Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac on the west leg of the wye).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83399266@N02/38128968532

Quote from: plain on May 01, 2021, 04:48:16 PM
I know I'm late with this but I agree, this bridge is easily the most iconic in the Richmond area. If the old Lee Bridge was still around then it would be right up there with it too.

The new one was being constructed when I lived in Richmond.  Here's what it looked like when first completed: http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/cityofrichmond/postcards/relbr.jpg
And this is what it looked like when I lived there:  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/571394271453356968/

kurumi

For Philadelphia, I think Bill Burr answered that one in 2006:

I hope you all get in your Ford Focuses and f***ing drive off the side of that f****t ass Ben Franklin bridge. You f***ing one bridge having piece of sh*t city that no one gives a f*** about.

So, the Ben Franklin Bridge :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

sparker

Quote from: DTComposer on May 01, 2021, 06:42:36 PM
Quote from: sparker on May 01, 2021, 04:29:31 PM

I'd also consider the Colorado Street viaduct over the Arroyo Seco (former US-66, then CA-134) in Pasadena.

I'd generally agree that it should be on the regional "top five" list; even more so if it weren't right next to the similarly designed but massively wider CA 134 freeway bridge.  I grew up a few miles west of there in Glendale; the Colorado Street bridge was referred to, at least locally, as the "Suicide Bridge" after those unfortunates who jumped from it, mostly prior to the installation of the tall & sharp curved closely-spaced spikes along its sides (".....I want to kill myself, but I don't want to get hurt doing it!"). 

The old 6th Street viaduct got nationwide publicity when the penultimate "action" scene of the 2003 movie version of "SWAT" featured the villain's private jet landing on said bridge -- not, however, through the two through truss sections!  A stretch of imagination, of course, but one would have to hand it to the film's special effects folks!

Rothman

Arroyo Seco came to my mind first for LA area.  Given its location on US 66, I'd argue that it is more famous than a bridge featured in a B-rated action film.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

empirestate

Quote from: sparker on May 03, 2021, 05:09:28 AM
Quote from: DTComposer on May 01, 2021, 06:42:36 PM

I'd generally agree that it should be on the regional "top five" list; even more so if it weren't right next to the similarly designed but massively wider CA 134 freeway bridge.

Whichever one is featured in Roger Rabbit and all those other movies set in Hollywood. :popcorn:

Flint1979

More on the Zilwaukee Bridge that GaryV mentioned up thread. There was a major construction accident building this bridge. It is the replacement for a drawbridge that use to be on I-75 and that drawbridge is part of the reason I-675 was built to bypass it. I grew up in the shadows of this bridge in Zilwaukee and watched it as it was being built.

When the bridge was a little over halfway done a 150 foot long section weight 6,700 tons was not properly counterbalanced and tipped 5 feet down on one end and 3 and a half feet up on the other end and a pier footing cracked. The state fired the original contractors and brought in another contractor to make the repairs and finish the bridge. I can remember them being able to heat the concrete so they could work in the winter as well.

The bridge has been closed several times over the years for repair work in various sections. I-675 is used as I-75 when this happens and the bridge is safe to drive on. It hasn't had to be closed in about 8 years now. The last closure they replaced 154 bearings on the bridge and rebuilt 4 miles of I-75.

sbeaver44

Harrisburg PA -- arguably it SHOULD be the Rockville (Norfolk Southern RR) Bridge.  But given the loss of one portion of the Walnut Street bridge in the 96 flood, I think it's that one.

Williamsport, PA - Market St Bridge

Reading, PA -- Lindbergh Viaduct?

Cumberland, MD -- Blue Bridge/WV 28 Alt Bridge?

SM-T290

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kernals12

San Francisco is obviously the Dumbarton Bridge  :bigass:

kkt

Quote from: kernals12 on August 08, 2021, 10:03:53 AM

San Francisco is tricky.  The Bay Bridge has a huge amount of traffic, and was for a while the Longest Bridge in the World (TM) if you allow multiple spans.  But the Golden Gate is more recognizeable, even to Starfleet.

empirestate

Quote from: kkt on August 24, 2021, 03:33:14 PM
San Francisco is tricky.  The Bay Bridge has a huge amount of traffic, and was for a while the Longest Bridge in the World (TM) if you allow multiple spans.  But the Golden Gate is more recognizeable, even to Starfleet.

Only the second reflects the meaning of "iconic"–to my mind, it's not tricky whatsoever!

MCRoads

I have never heard of it. Can you please explain?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

formulanone

Nobody's picked Miami yet; for all those crossings of the Intracoastal Waterway, there's not really a singular iconic or "most famous" bridge for the metro area. I'd go with the 17th Street Causeway (A1A in Fort Lauderdale), for design and traffic volumes, but that's open to interpretation.

The Seven Mile Bridge would probably the most famous just outside the region, but The Keys are separate micropolitan area.

Flint1979

Quote from: MCRoads on August 24, 2021, 06:35:06 PM

CA-84 over the SF Bay toward the southern end of the bay.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: formulanone on August 24, 2021, 07:49:52 PM
Nobody's picked Miami yet; for all those crossings of the Intracoastal Waterway, there's not really a singular iconic or "most famous" bridge for the metro area. I'd go with the 17th Street Causeway (A1A in Fort Lauderdale), for design and traffic volumes, but that's open to interpretation.

How about the Metromover bridge over the Miami River to the Brickell extension?  This is lit up in colors at night.

I've walked across this a bunch of times while we were testing.  This bridge has four plinth-beams with an emergency walkway between the two middle ones.  I'm not sure when MDTA installed the handrails along the outside plinths, but they weren't up when I was working there.  For some reason, the drop on the river side wasn't near as scary as the stretch running elevated over 11th Street.  Back then, you were looking straight down at the powerlines along the sidewalk.

kkt

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 24, 2021, 08:09:42 PM

A not particularly exciting bridge.  The first Dumbarton Bridge's claim to fame was that it was the first road bridge crossing the Bay.  It was replaced in the early 1980s by a workmanlike but uninteresting reinforced concrete bridge.

Flint1979

Quote from: kkt on August 24, 2021, 10:00:01 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on August 24, 2021, 08:09:42 PM

A not particularly exciting bridge.  The first Dumbarton Bridge's claim to fame was that it was the first road bridge crossing the Bay.  It was replaced in the early 1980s by a workmanlike but uninteresting reinforced concrete bridge.
Correct. I was more interested with the abandoned railroad bridge than I was with the road bridge.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

plain

Quote from: roadman65 on August 25, 2021, 09:39:53 PM
Newport, OR.

I've always liked this bridge. If I ever make it out to the West coast I hope to drive across it.

Bruce

I drove across it a month ago and in the time between my southbound trip to a nearby beach and my northbound return, someone had managed to wedge their car over the sidewalk railing.

plain

Quote from: Bruce on August 26, 2021, 01:47:43 AM
I drove across it a month ago and in the time between my southbound trip to a nearby beach and my northbound return, someone had managed to wedge their car over the sidewalk railing.

Sounds like they were drunk

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.