News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

September 1950 CHPW Centennial Edition

Started by Max Rockatansky, February 26, 2021, 11:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Out of all the California Highways & Public Works this is probably most favorite read.   The amount of late 19th Century/20th Century maps and photos alone is worth a look. 

https://archive.org/details/CaliforniaHighwaysAndPublicWorksCentennialEditionSep-1950/mode/2up?q=viejo

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 26, 2021, 11:10:05 PM
Out of all the California Highways & Public Works this is probably most favorite read.   The amount of late 19th Century/20th Century maps and photos alone is worth a look. 

https://archive.org/details/CaliforniaHighwaysAndPublicWorksCentennialEditionSep-1950/mode/2up?q=viejo

Wholeheartedly agree!  When I originally discovered CHPW in my local library as a kid (circa 1963 or so) this was the one issue that seemed to always be checked out!  It took a few months of persistence before getting my hands on their copy -- but I ended up checking it out as well -- and it took me most of the two weeks allowed checkout time to get through the maps alone.  Well worth downloading and printing out!   

ClassicHasClass

I'm proud of my CH&PW collection. I know that most, if not all, of them are scanned and available online, but there's something about holding them in your hands. Still have a few gaps but most of the main issues.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on February 27, 2021, 08:43:31 PM
I'm proud of my CH&PW collection. I know that most, if not all, of them are scanned and available online, but there's something about holding them in your hands. Still have a few gaps but most of the main issues.

I picked up a substantial collection of CHPWs myself from a BART Director fairly recently.  He was moving and didn't have room for them anymore.   All I had to do was go pick them up from Oakland, way beyond any form of generosity I could have ever expected.   I haven't cataloged then yet (the boxes have labels and I built a book case) but there was enough that filled up three boxes.  The hard bound volumes in particular are really cool given they pretty much cover a single of year (sometimes two) of CHPWs. 

mrsman

Thank you for sharing.  These magazines are a great value to CA highway history.  While my time is limited, so I cannot read through multiple magazines, this one seems like a special edition, so I'll give it some time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.