News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Toll roads/turnpikes you have clinched

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 09, 2021, 10:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Too busy at the moment to make a complete list, but here are some of my more exotic ones:

CO 5 to the Mt. Evans summit (highest road in North America, but not much higher than the Pikes Peak toll road)

The Anton Anderson one-lane tunnel, shared by motor vehicles and trains, to Whittier AK

The short-lived lava viewing road on Hawaii's Big Island ("short-lived" not because destroyed by lava, but rather the lava stopped flowing there enough to generate tourist interest and toll revenue)
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

epzik8

Blue Star Turnpike (I-95 in New Hampshire)
Delaware Turnpike
New Jersey Turnpike (mainline and extensions)
Pennsylvania Turnpike mainline
Harbor Tunnel Thruway (I-895 in Baltimore)
Beachline Expressway (FL 528)
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

cpzilliacus

Quote from: webny99 on May 12, 2021, 01:42:11 PM
Bridges could probably be a separate thread at this point.

I included bridges and tunnels that have relatively substantial approach roads, such as I-695 (really MD-695) approaching the F.S. Key Bridge. I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway) and U.S. 13 (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 13, 2021, 08:46:24 AM

I included bridges and tunnels that have relatively substantial approach roads, such as I-695 (really MD-695) approaching the F.S. Key Bridge. I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway) and U.S. 13 (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel).
I didn't include any toll bridges or tunnels in my op.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

sprjus4

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 13, 2021, 08:46:24 AM

True, but in all of those examples, the approach roads are free.

vdeane

I-895 is only free north of Lombard Street.  The other 12 miles are tolled.  You even pay a toll to get on/off at Childs Street, even though you don't use the tunnel in that case.  It absolutely counts.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

sprjus4

I-895 is an interesting case. The highway isn't officially tolled except at the tunnel and that one exit, but the way it's set up with all the ramps pointed towards the toll plaza, it ends up being you have no way of exiting before the toll plaza.

But the other two, the approach highways are definitely free.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 13, 2021, 11:37:10 AM
True, but in all of those examples, the approach roads are free.

The U.S. 13 approach road to the CBBT from the Northhampton County (Eastern Shore) side is most definitely not free.

Short parts of the I-895B and I-895A spurs are free, but most of them (especially I-895B) are tolled.

Much of the MD-695 approach to the F.S. Key Bridge from the west is free, even though it is toll-maintained by MDTA.  Part of the approach to the bridge from the east is also free, but a significant portion is toll.

Most of the I-95 approaches to the FMT in Baltimore City (including I-395) are free, even though all of it is toll-maintained.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

tigerwings

E-470 in Colorado.  Been up CO 5, but no really a toll road.

hobsini2

Delaware:
I-95 Delaware JFK Tpk

Delaware/New Jersey:
I-295 Delaware Memorial Bridge

Florida:
County 522 Osceola Pkwy (Orlando area)

Illinois:
I-88 (East-West Tollway) Reagan Tollway
I-90 (Northwest Tollway) Jane Addams Memorial Tollway
I-90 Chicago Skyway
I-94/294 Tri-State Tollway
I-355 (North-South Tollway) Veterans Memorial Tollway
IL 390 (Elgin-O'Hare Tollway)

Indiana:
I-80/90 Indiana Toll Road

Indiana/Kentucky:
I-65 Abraham Lincoln Bridge (NB)

Kansas:
I-35/335/470/70 Kansas Tpk

Maryland:
I-95 JFK Memorial Hwy/Millard Tydings Bridge
I-95 Ft McHenry Tunnel
US 40 (Susquenhanna River Toll Bridge) Thomas J Hetam Memorial Bridge

New Jersey/New York:
I-78 Holland Tunnel
I-278 Goethals Bridge
NJ/NY 495 Lincoln Tunnel

New Jersey/Pennsylvania:
I-80 Delaware Water Gap Bridge
US 1 Trenton-Morrisville Toll Bridge

New York:
I-84 Newburgh-Beacon Bridge
I-95 New England Thruway
I-278 Verrazano Narrows Bridge
Atlantic Beach Bridge

Oklahoma:
I-44 Turner Tpk
I-44 Will Rogers Tpk
I-44 H.E. Bailey Tpk
Norman Spur H.E. Bailey Tpk

Rhode Island:
RI 138 Claiborne Pell Newport Bridge

Texas:
Spur 97 International Pkwy (DFW Airport)

Former Toll Roads (most were freeways at the time of clinching):
I-95/I-395 Connecticut Tpk
I-95 Gold Star Bridge (CT)
Merritt Pkwy (CT)
Audubon Pkwy (KY)
I-65 Kentucky Tpk
Natcher Pkwy (KY)
Pennyrile Pkwy (KY)
Hutchinson River Pkwy (NY)
I-30 Dallas-Ft Worth Tpk (TX)
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

sprjus4

^

Well, if they weren't freeways at the time of clinching, what were they? Two-lane roads? Non-limited-access?

achilles765

I am sure I clinched at least one on the road trips we used to take from Baton Rouge to Woodstock Connecticut. But I don't know for sure. 
I do know these for sure though:

Hardy Toll Road
Fort Bend Parkway
SH 249 Tomball Tollway
Westpark Tollway
Sam Houston Tollway
Grand Parkway
The Interstate 10, 45, and 69 Hot Lanes
Dallas North Tollway
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

TheStranger

As a passenger:
Delaware Turnpike
North Luzon Expressway
Clark Spur Road
Massachusetts Turnpike (prior to the opening of I-90 east to the airport)

As a driver:
whatever was open of SH 183A northwest of Austin in 2010

Chris Sampang

hobsini2

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 16, 2021, 06:17:50 PM
^

Well, if they weren't freeways at the time of clinching, what were they? Two-lane roads? Non-limited-access?
Only one was still a toll road, Pennyrile. when I clinched it.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

sprjus4

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 17, 2021, 09:06:46 PM
^

True, but it's still a freeway nonetheless, toll or not.

Big John

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 17, 2021, 10:49:28 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on May 17, 2021, 09:06:46 PM
^

True, but it's still a freeway nonetheless, toll or not.
It's a regional thing.  Illinois does not refer to a toll highway "tollway" as a freeway.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 13, 2021, 03:42:46 PM
I-895 is an interesting case. The highway isn't officially tolled except at the tunnel and that one exit, but the way it's set up with all the ramps pointed towards the toll plaza, it ends up being you have no way of exiting before the toll plaza.

But the other two, the approach highways are definitely free.

I-895 was built and engineered in the pre-Interstate days (it opened 1957) as a way to keep north-south traffic traveling the U.S. 1 corridor and east-west traffic on the U.S. 40 corridor out of downtown Baltimore City.  It was absolutely intended as a thruway, with exits and entrances designed so that all traffic had to pass through the tunnel and pay the toll at the toll plaza located south of the tunnel. All of it has always been toll-maintained. 

The "free" section of I-895 north pf Lombard Street is fairly new.  Before the ramps at Lombard Street were constructed in the 1990's, the only "free" part was an exit at Moravia Road for southbound traffic (which was signed "LAST EXIT BEFORE TOLL") and entrances to I-895 northbound (signed I-95 then and now), since all traffic entering there ended up on I-95. 

When I-95 north of Baltimore opened as the Northeast Expressway (later JFK Highway) toll road i n 1963, I-895 was signed as "TO I-95" but not as I-895 until years later.  It became de-facto I-95 until the Fort McHenry Tunnel opened to traffic in 1985.

The ramps at Childs Street were always there, but only in the past 20-or-so years have has the northbound exit ramp and the southbound entrance ramp been properly signed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.