News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Suffixed exits at ramp splits

Started by SkyPesos, May 15, 2021, 02:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

This was touched on briefly in the "Most consecutive suffixed exits thread", but it got me thinking, how do each state do their suffixed exits at a ramp split? Does your state give each ramp direction a suffix, or keep both of them under the same exit number?
For Ohio, directional ramp splits in like stacks, turbines or cloverstacks, are counted under a single exit number. For example, here is I-270 to both directions of I-71, with both BGS signage labeled as simply Exit 26, and the ramp split down the road with no exit numbers. But for ramps where there is an option to return to the mainline, like the C/D lane in cloverleafs, suffixes are used, like here at I-270 and I-70. At a terminus of a freeway, the state is less consistent, sometimes giving every ramp movement an exit number and suffix, or no exit numbers at all.

Some other states I can think of that does the same as Ohio with ramp split suffixes are Indiana and Missouri.

wanderer2575

Michigan typically does not sign suffixed exit numbers at ramp splits, although there are a few exceptions that come to mind.

I-96 at US-23 in Brighton.  Perhaps because exit 147 for Spencer Road (westbound exit, eastbound entry) is part of the C/D configuration. 
https://goo.gl/maps/KNjhs5tjZTLKFFvL6

I-69 and US-127 in Lansing.  This interchange has C/D lanes and suffixed exits in all directions.  The sign on the eastbound I-69 C/D lane even has a LEFT tab for US-127 northbound traffic. 
https://goo.gl/maps/cGq9TU77s5hRnqf27

Westbound I-94 has a C/D lane at I-275 in Romulus and its exits have suffixed numbers.  I assume that's to match the eastbound side, which has separate exits with no C/D lane.

I-75 at West Road in Woodhaven has not only suffixed exit numbers on the ramp splits but also a second exit sign at the ramp loops, even though there is no C/D lane that continues straight.
https://goo.gl/maps/DAh9f1KArYQVWis8A
https://goo.gl/maps/qTbuYaN2WPQsjnbF9

Northbound M-10 exit to Northland/Nine Mile Road in Southfield has a split with suffixed exit numbers, even though the "split" is nothing more than a small traffic island.  I assume that's to match the exit numbering on the southbound side, which has two separate exits. 
https://goo.gl/maps/QVL4aZ6wBsPRceut8
https://goo.gl/maps/VYDpiz4dUA8dpLvq5 (the big "split")

ran4sh

Georgia does not apply suffixes to ramp splits. Only for multiple ramps from the mainline.

This is true whether it is a C/D lane, or a stack/turbine type ramp split.

MUTCD says that there should not be suffixes in a stack/turbine ramp split, while it is an option (not required) for exits from a C/D roadway.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota does not suffix ramp splits, and exits within C/D interchanges are unnumbered.

With one exception, I-94 at MN 101 in Rogers where the ramps to Hennepin County 81 and MN 101 are split into 207A and 207B.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

In Virginia, it varies.

Suffixed (relatively new configuration in the past 10 years, being rebuilt again now): https://goo.gl/maps/TUWAbARw8egCn8f17

Suffixed (Exits 1C and 1D split off to the right, then split again after doing so): https://goo.gl/maps/Wi8sL9VhNJcTnk4r8

Suffixed: https://goo.gl/maps/7AUx7H9PiTS71WfE7

Non-suffixed (much older; the ramp splits up ahead to the right where the BGS is): https://goo.gl/maps/kxBkMUDbzGY5CR7m8
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

In Florida we generally don't use them even on CD roadways, but there are some exceptions though as Saxton Blvd. in Deltona does to match the other side of the freeway that has no collector distribution system.

However, in the days of sequential numbering, CD roads had suffixes though splits never had them.  It was Exit 7 on I-4 for I-75 (later to Exit 9) and no A and B after the ramp diverged.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

plain

On I-295 in Virginia:

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

Newark born, Richmond bred

1995hoo

Isn't I-295 more of a C/D roadway, though, than a "ramp split"?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

SkyPesos

Quote from: plain on May 19, 2021, 01:45:27 PM
On I-295 in Virginia:

[imgs snipped]

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)
Interesting that all suffixes are signed there. For Ohio, generally if I see more than two (or just 2  in some cases), the exit gore sign C/D lane split won't have exit numbers at all, and exit numbers are signed on the gore sign on the split from the C/D lane.

US 89

On I-295 in Virginia:

snipped images

Is there any reason these aren't signed as just "43D-A" and "43B-D"? Seems you could save quite a bit of sign space doing that.

andrepoiy

In Ontario, I guess it's only signed if it comes off the mainline...

For example, southbound 427 to the two directions of 407 have two different exits, and therefore, has suffixes.

However, any ramp which further splits after leaving the mainline (for example, Highway 401 Eastbound ramp to Hurontario and Whittle Road) share the same number.

Scott5114

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 19, 2021, 03:45:25 PM
On I-295 in Virginia:

[imgs snipped]
Interesting that all suffixes are signed there. For Ohio, generally if I see more than two (or just 2  in some cases), the exit gore sign C/D lane split won't have exit numbers at all, and exit numbers are signed on the gore sign on the split from the C/D lane.

Oklahoma usually just doesn't install a gore sign if a C/D road leads to exits with their own numbers, although it's more common to give an exit number to the C/D road and let each of the exits remain numberless.

Quote from: US 89 on May 19, 2021, 04:09:56 PM
Is there any reason these aren't signed as just "43D-A" and "43B-D"? Seems you could save quite a bit of sign space doing that.

I think the MUTCD specifies doing this because they're paranoid that "43D-A" might be interpreted as "only 43D and 43A". This is probably because the MUTCD elsewhere specifies that hyphens are to be used when combining messages on the same line that would normally be separated by a line break, like destinations, and it wants to be logically consistent (though in practice, hyphens are used so rarely for this practice that I doubt anyone would interpret it that way).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Revive 755

KCRoadFan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 19, 2021, 03:17:42 AM
Minnesota does not suffix ramp splits, and exits within C/D interchanges are unnumbered.

With one exception, I-94 at MN 101 in Rogers where the ramps to Hennepin County 81 and MN 101 are split into 207A and 207B.

Might that have something to do with the fact that two different highways are involved, as opposed to two directions of the same road? Of course, that's just speculation on my part. (Does MNDOT specify anything on the matter?)

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 19, 2021, 07:32:40 PM
Quote from: US 89 on May 19, 2021, 04:09:56 PM
I think the MUTCD specifies doing this because they're paranoid that "43D-A" might be interpreted as "only 43D and 43A". This is probably because the MUTCD elsewhere specifies that hyphens are to be used when combining messages on the same line that would normally be separated by a line break, like destinations, and it wants to be logically consistent (though in practice, hyphens are used so rarely for this practice that I doubt anyone would interpret it that way).

Hm. Well, Utah breaks from that guidance every time one ramp from the mainline leads to three or more suffixed exits. By my count, the state has four cases like this (I-80 eastbound 115A-C, I-15 northbound 294A-C and 305A-D, I-15 southbound 305C-A).

US 89

I get the sense Utah just has no rhyme or reason for whether ramp splits get suffixes or not. Take the interchange on SR 201 at the Mountain View Highway. It's not open yet (will be in a few weeks), but all signage is up already. Here's a diagram from UDOT's website:

As you might notice, the eastbound and westbound exits from 201 to Mountain View are essentially the same configuration, with one ramp leaving the 201 mainline and then soon thereafter splitting into a branch for each direction. But here's the weirdest part - the westbound ramps are numbered 10B-A (10B going northbound, 10A southbound), but eastbound is just one Exit 10. Neither ramp configuration is going to change substantially when Mountain View is eventually upgraded to full freeway in the more distant future, other than that the two left-turn movements will become flyover ramps.

General rule in the rest of the state seems to be that newer ramp splits usually get letter suffixes, while older ramp splits don't.

SkyPesos

Quote from: US 89 on May 29, 2021, 01:55:08 AM
I get the sense Utah just has no rhyme or reason for whether ramp splits get suffixes or not. Take the interchange on SR 201 at the Mountain View Highway. It's not open yet (will be in a few weeks), but all signage is up already. Here's a diagram from UDOT's website:

As you might notice, the eastbound and westbound exits from 201 to Mountain View are essentially the same configuration, with one ramp leaving the 201 mainline and then soon thereafter splitting into a branch for each direction. But here's the weirdest part - the westbound ramps are numbered 10B-A (10B going northbound, 10A southbound), but eastbound is just one Exit 10. Neither ramp configuration is going to change substantially when Mountain View is eventually upgraded to full freeway in the more distant future, other than that the two left-turn movements will become flyover ramps.

General rule in the rest of the state seems to be that newer ramp splits usually get letter suffixes, while older ramp splits don't.
That sounds similar to what Ohio have at I-275 and OH 32. This is the first time I've seen a left and right turn movement get their own suffix.

roadman65

In Georgia Exit 1 on I -520 could use them as now Exits 1B and 1A are combined into one split ramp since the cloverleaf ramps consolidated with 1C still used at Wheeler Road prior.  So it's Exit 1 and 1C but no A and B between them.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.