News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Trip from Chicago IL to Durango CO, and Clinching I-35

Started by CtrlAltDel, May 16, 2021, 11:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Any reason why you're avoiding I-27? It is not very high-AADT as Interstates go, so it wouldn't be much of a detour and would give you another 2di notch on your belt (since I see you tracking them in your sig). The Texas panhandle as a whole feels pretty solitary no matter where you go.

Another thing you could consider when you go through on I-35 is jumping off to do a quick clinch of I-14 (as it currently stands, anyway). At 24 miles, you can easily do it end to end and be back on I-35 in less than an hour. I did so while traveling the segment of I-35 from Norman to San Antonio and it definitely didn't feel like too long of a side excursion. Probably the easiest 2di you'll ever clinch.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 01, 2021, 03:57:28 AM
Any reason why you're avoiding I-27? It is not very high-AADT as Interstates go, so it wouldn't be much of a detour and would give you another 2di notch on your belt (since I see you tracking them in your sig). The Texas panhandle as a whole feels pretty solitary no matter where you go.

It's mostly because I'm trying to stretch my wings a bit. I've been a very Interstate-centric person in my pursuit of the the hobby thus far, but the people who travel the US and state highways, Max Rockatansky in particular, seem to really like it. So, I'm using this leg of the trip to try that out. Will it be something I appreciate? Will it be frustrating? I don't know, but I figured I'd give it an honest try. The second reason is to avoid driving on I-40 to get to I-27, since that's ground I've already covered, but I could come down from, say, US-87 from Raton.

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 01, 2021, 03:57:28 AM
Another thing you could consider when you go through on I-35 is jumping off to do a quick clinch of I-14 (as it currently stands, anyway). At 24 miles, you can easily do it end to end and be back on I-35 in less than an hour. I did so while traveling the segment of I-35 from Norman to San Antonio and it definitely didn't feel like too long of a side excursion. Probably the easiest 2di you'll ever clinch.

That is an interesting idea. The only reason I wouldn't do it would be if I were all Texased-out.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Scott5114

No matter what you do you'll be finding yourself on plenty of conventional roads between Lubbock and Laredo, so I feel like you'll get a good dose of those whether you do I-27 or not. Personally, I find conventional roads to be nothing special, especially in an area like the Texas panhandle without much in the way of scenery to speak of (it's going to be a bit of a letdown after having done US-550 a few days before). Since you will be passing through a couple dozen small towns en route to Laredo, chances are you won't really have much of a chance to really explore any of them in depth and still make good time, so they mostly will exist as obstacles to cost you time. My opinion, anyway. I usually go through an area on Interstates the first time and then resort to conventional roads when I've had my fill of that particular stretch of Interstate.

Texas can be pretty exhausting to drive through, so I wouldn't begrudge you for wanting to just get out of the state ASAP for a change in scenery (though you may find yourself missing TxDOT by the time you get a feel for what ODOT has to...erm...offer.) If you do decide to clinch I-14, and if you're into county counting, take note that it's only a few minutes from the west end of I-14 to the Lampasas County line. I kicked myself when I was logging I-14 in TM and realized how close I was to getting another county.

JayhawkCO

If you want one more little detour in Colorado, instead of taking US50 all the way back to Pueblo, I would recommend taking US50->CO69->CO96->CO165->I-25.  Much more scenic.  You can also make a stopover at Bishop Castle.

Chris

kphoger

Enjoy TX-55 between Rocksprings and Uvalde!  I'd love to drive that stretch.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: jayhawkco on June 01, 2021, 05:00:37 PM
If you want one more little detour in Colorado, instead of taking US50 all the way back to Pueblo, I would recommend taking US50->CO69->CO96->CO165->I-25.  Much more scenic.  You can also make a stopover at Bishop Castle.

Looking on the map, I see where you're coming from, and I just might do that. Thanks.

Quote from: kphoger on June 02, 2021, 03:24:31 PM
Enjoy TX-55 between Rocksprings and Uvalde!  I'd love to drive that stretch.

I am definitely looking forward to it.
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CtrlAltDel

Just for the record, here is the rest of the (increasingly not) preliminary routings:

San Antonio backtrack for the upper and lower decks:

Austin backtrack for the upper and lower decks:

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Kansas Turnpike - They do take coins (It was night, and only a short part on the SE side of Topeka, so for a longer distance there could be a booth that takes bills)

Colorado - There is a major detour for US 50, as in CDOT does not want non-locals on it between Montrose & Pueblo. You might want to look at US 160, or follow US 84 & 64 into New Mexico (I did this, back in April and enjoyed most of it)

In general, with non-interstates, its not the road, it is the scenery (natural & man-made) that one can more thoroughly experience compared to interstates
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on June 06, 2021, 12:47:48 AM
Colorado - There is a major detour for US 50, as in CDOT does not want non-locals on it between Montrose & Pueblo. You might want to look at US 160, or follow US 84 & 64 into New Mexico (I did this, back in April and enjoyed most of it)

Thanks for all your information, especially this last bit. That will save me quite a headache.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 06, 2021, 03:28:23 AM

Thanks for all your information, especially this last bit. That will save me quite a headache.

I was just on US50 yesterday and it looks like the only area they're detouring currently is between Gunnison and Montrose.

https://www.codot.gov/news/2021/april-2021/us50-little-blue-creek-detours

Chris

Avalanchez71

So you are going to do the upper and lower decks to call it a clinch?  Wow that is hardcore.  I see if no different then using HOV or express lanes when they do a slight split.

kphoger

Kansas Turnpike - They do take coins (It was night, and only a short part on the SE side of Topeka, so for a longer distance there could be a booth that takes bills)

Yeah, the Kansas Turnpike has people taking your money.  They don't care if it's coins or bills, so long as you pay your toll.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

I am currently on the trip, and I will post more when I'm not on my phone. But some observations:

Iowa has little transverse lines across the passing lane of I-80 every quarter mile. I don't know why.

Nebraska has too many Interstate reassurance signs on I-80 with the 80 in boldface type.

The median on I-76 in Colorado is very wide.

Also, most rest areas in Colorado have you get off the highway at an exit instead of a direct ramp.

Scott5114

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 09, 2021, 08:05:06 PM
Iowa has little transverse lines across the passing lane of I-80 every quarter mile. I don't know why.

Most of the time, markings like this are intended to aid airborne speed enforcement. Pick a car, start the timer when it passes a line, stop it when it passes another line, now you can calculate its average speed between the two lines. Oklahoma does something similar with white squares painted on the shoulder every half-mile (although as far as I know they're not regularly used by law enforcement).

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 09, 2021, 08:05:06 PM
Nebraska has too many Interstate reassurance signs on I-80 with the 80 in boldface type.

I seem to recall Jake Bear referring to these as "Series D Modified", implying that the letterforms are identical to those used on Caltrans signage to accommodate button reflectors on highway shields.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.