Least important section of Interstate in your state?

Started by Roadgeekteen, June 01, 2021, 05:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: dkblake on June 02, 2021, 10:57:01 AM
Quote from: Rothman on June 01, 2021, 08:04:48 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 01, 2021, 05:27:52 PM
Section of interstate, not interstate. I would go with I-190 or I-91 north of Greenfield for Massachusetts.
I-190.  At least I-91 connects Springfield to Vermont.

I'd vote I-391 for MA.

I-391 is definitely overbuilt.  Not sure what the numbers are for it, though.  I mean, if you take a lane off either side, I'm sure there is still a commuter flow on it.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: dkblake on June 02, 2021, 01:17:28 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 02, 2021, 12:21:56 PM
Section of interstate, not interstate. I would go with I-190 or I-91 north of Greenfield for Massachusetts.

I'd vote I-391 for MA. VT is easily I-189.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 01, 2021, 10:34:32 PM
Since nobody lives in NH on this forum:

Probably I-93 north of the Parkway.

I'd go for I-393 as least important.
For Vermont I would consider I-91 north of I-93, it was deserted when I was on it.

Depends what you mean by important. If it's important for local traffic, agree with you and I-189 becomes one of the more important stretches. I was thinking of it in terms of how important it is that a stretch of Interstate highway is in fact an Interstate. I-91 is a relatively important trade corridor between the US and Canada, so it should be an Interstate; on the other hand, it's not essential that there is an Interstate-level highway connecting I-89 and US 7 south of Burlington.
Just wondering if the traffic between the US and Canada could be accommodated by US 5 or not.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

dlsterner

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 02, 2021, 08:22:12 AM
Quote from: dlsterner on June 01, 2021, 11:03:38 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 01, 2021, 10:50:11 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on June 01, 2021, 10:47:38 PM
Maryland - I would say I-70 between I-695 and the Park-n-Ride to the east.

If I-170 hadn't been decommissioned it would be a candidate.

(And no, I don't believe I-70 will ever be extended to the east/southeast)
What about besides that short section? I-68?
I think I-68 is reasonably important as it can be a gateway to the west for those who want to avoid the Pennsylvania Turnpike, Breezewood, etc.  (Full disclosure - I'm actually planning my next road trip out I-68 two weeks from now).

(Opinion, not fact, follows) I'd argue that I-795 (especially the northern part) is less important than I-68.  Or maybe the I-895 spur (the one from MD 2 in Glen Burnie to I-895).

Speaking as someone who would suffer thru the Reisterstown-Pikesville stretch of MD 140 (which is nonstop shopping centers, gas stations, auto dealers, fast food, etc. for ~10 miles) if not for I-795, I strongly disagree on that one :nod:

As for I-895, I would actually nominate the mainline stretch west of MD 295.  In the few times I've traveled the length of I-895, it seems like half the volume exits at the I-895 spur, then most of what's left exits at MD 295, leaving a mostly empty road the rest of the way back to I-95.

(And totally agreed on I-70 east of I-695, by the way!)

As far as I-795, I guess I was in a tough position.  Having driven the Reisterstown Road slog myself, I do understand.  Kind of wanted to say "All interstates in Maryland are important", but that comes off as narcissistic.  That's why I hedged a bit and said the northern part.

You do have a good point about I-895.  The segment from I-95 (south end) to US 1 is nowadays kind of irrelevant since that traffic likely prefers the Ft. McHenry tunnel instead.

MikieTimT

In Arkansas, anything that turns into I-69 would be my vote unless they actually reconsider and have it more closely follow US-79 with a southern Mississippi River crossing in the Tunica area.  None that have actually been built in the state would be what I would call superfluous.

achilles765

For Louisiana, interstate 59. For Texas, interstate 44 and 49.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

deathtopumpkins

Uhhhhh hi?

The answer is definitely I-393 though.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

webny99

Quote from: Konza on June 01, 2021, 07:12:22 PM
For Arizona, it's probably I-8 between I-10 and AZ-85 at Gila Bend.

Isn't that part of a bypass route of Phoenix along with AZ-85?

I would think I-19 would be less important than that.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

bwana39

Quote from: achilles765 on June 03, 2021, 10:27:26 AM
For Louisiana, interstate 59. For Texas, interstate 44 and 49.

I quite agree with the I-44 assessment. I-49 will come to mean a lot once I-69 / I-369 is completed to Texarkana.  BTW, ground has not been broken on ANY of the I-49 Texas miles.

As to I-59 in Louisiana, I disagree. From a commercial traffic  day to day point perhaps. From a Hurricane evacuation route it is the NUMBER ONE evacuation route from New Orleans. 

As to which one I would choose, before the advent of the rapid growth in Lafayette, I would have said I-49. Not sure it still isn't. 

If you asked someone in south Louisiana they might say I-20.  Clearly I-310 is the less used one..

As being someone who who really knows NOTHING about the traffic patterns in New Orleans beyond casual visits, I think I-10 (Claiborne Expressway) from US-90B to I-610  probably is one of those urban removals that could be advantageous especially with I-610. The other side of I-10 (Pontchartrain Expressway)  should definitely stay and connect to US-90B.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

DandyDan

It's possible you get the same answer for both Iowa and Nebraska, I-129.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

dkblake

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 02, 2021, 02:22:51 PM
Quote from: dkblake on June 02, 2021, 01:17:28 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 02, 2021, 12:21:56 PM

I'd vote I-391 for MA. VT is easily I-189.

Probably I-93 north of the Parkway.

I'd go for I-393 as least important.
For Vermont I would consider I-91 north of I-93, it was deserted when I was on it.

Depends what you mean by important. If it's important for local traffic, agree with you and I-189 becomes one of the more important stretches. I was thinking of it in terms of how important it is that a stretch of Interstate highway is in fact an Interstate. I-91 is a relatively important trade corridor between the US and Canada, so it should be an Interstate; on the other hand, it's not essential that there is an Interstate-level highway connecting I-89 and US 7 south of Burlington.
Just wondering if the traffic between the US and Canada could be accommodated by US 5 or not.

Probably not- I think US 5 is mostly two-lane, and I don't think terrain would allow easy improvements to accommodate long-haul truck traffic. However, I think that solution would allow you to accept US 5 as a US route :)
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

sparker

A bit hard-pressed to pick one out in CA; just about every section of every Interstate has significant local and/or inter-state utility, regardless of vehicle count.  But since it primarily serves only local San Diego traffic and is a stub, I'd have to say I-8 from its western terminus east to I-5. 

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on June 02, 2021, 10:16:34 AM
NJ: I-295 south of Camden
NY: I-990
CT: I-384

For CT, I'd also say I-395 north of CT 2. 

RI: I-295 between US 6 and RI 146. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

sprjus4

Quote from: bwana39 on June 03, 2021, 02:24:09 PM
As being someone who who really knows NOTHING about the traffic patterns in New Orleans beyond casual visits, I think I-10 (Claiborne Expressway) from US-90B to I-610  probably is one of those urban removals that could be advantageous especially with I-610. The other side of I-10 (Pontchartrain Expressway)  should definitely stay and connect to US-90B.
So I guess to hell with anyone coming from I-10 east of I-610 heading to the Westbank. You're cutting off a major artery by removing that segment of I-10.

gonealookin

For Nevada, I-80 east of Elko and particularly east of US 93 at Wells has a fairly low traffic count.  A pretty high percentage of it is long-distance truck traffic, though, and between Wells and West Wendover it crosses over a significant mountain pass, nearly 7000 feet elevation at the summit.  If this were a two-lane highway it would need extensive passing lanes and truck lanes.

Any extension of I-11 from Las Vegas toward Reno would become the correct answer to this question for the foreseeable future.  Two-lane US 95, with very limited passing lanes north of Mercury, serves its purpose adequately for now.

sparker

Quote from: gonealookin on June 03, 2021, 07:53:34 PM
For Nevada, I-80 east of Elko and particularly east of US 93 at Wells has a fairly low traffic count.  A pretty high percentage of it is long-distance truck traffic, though, and between Wells and West Wendover it crosses over a significant mountain pass, nearly 7000 feet elevation at the summit.  If this were a two-lane highway it would need extensive passing lanes and truck lanes.

Any extension of I-11 from Las Vegas toward Reno would become the correct answer to this question for the foreseeable future.  Two-lane US 95, with very limited passing lanes north of Mercury, serves its purpose adequately for now.

For now is the operative phrase here.  Population dynamics were and are the factor that drove the designation extension of I-11 into northern NV.  Also -- at least via anecdotal evidence -- the traffic levels on US 95 have markedly increased over the past several years; I have a friend with homes in Henderson and Reno and who "toggles" between the two nearly every month to 6 weeks who constantly comments about ever-increasing traffic -- even during the COVID period -- dominated by commercial trucks.  Also, the Fallon/Fernley/Silver Springs area is witnessing quite a bit of development, particularly as a retirement "mecca" (relatively low housing costs and growing housing stock, much of it in 55+ planned communities).  And the I-11 discussion inevitably cites the Boise/Treasure Valley area as the likely destination of any further extension of this corridor due to its own outsized growth pattern.  So while at present the mostly 2-lane US 95 does handle current overall traffic levels adequately, regional demographic projections indicate that won't be the case within 10-15 years.  Of course, there will be sections of that corridor which, like I-80 in northeastern NV, will feature sparser traffic than in more populated areas -- but that didn't stop I-90 across SD and Wyoming or I-15 from Idaho Falls to Butte, among other Interstate corridors in rural regions. 

sbeaver44

Quote from: vdeane on June 01, 2021, 08:42:16 PM
For NY, I would think it's I-86 east of Binghamton.  Heck, that would probably STILL be true even if I-86 were finished (up to ~Liberty or so)!  Hence why that project has no momentum right now, as much as I'd like to see it finished.

Even the US 219 freeway (which has even less momentum right now) is arguably a more necessary project (whether that would still be true if the existing corridor was four lanes divided like NY 17 is debatable).
What about I-587?

Sctvhound

I-585 in SC. All it is is basically a spur from downtown Spartanburg to business I-85 and regular I-85. I'd say I-185 is even less important. Mostly a little used toll road that most people forget even exists between I-85 and I-385.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Sctvhound on June 05, 2021, 12:07:38 AM
I-585 in SC. All it is is basically a spur from downtown Spartanburg to business I-85 and regular I-85.
I-585 as a number could be removed.
- Very short
- Interchange with I-85 is a diamond
- Completely overlapped with US 176
- Exit numbers follow US 176's mileage

US 89

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 05, 2021, 12:31:22 AM
- Interchange with I-85 is a diamond

I think it was determined earlier this year that 585 does not even reach 85.

Rothman

Quote from: sbeaver44 on June 04, 2021, 11:02:12 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 01, 2021, 08:42:16 PM
For NY, I would think it's I-86 east of Binghamton.  Heck, that would probably STILL be true even if I-86 were finished (up to ~Liberty or so)!  Hence why that project has no momentum right now, as much as I'd like to see it finished.

Even the US 219 freeway (which has even less momentum right now) is arguably a more necessary project (whether that would still be true if the existing corridor was four lanes divided like NY 17 is debatable).
What about I-587?
Provides a connection to Kingston.  Stupid designation, but still important.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 01, 2021, 06:12:09 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 01, 2021, 05:51:45 PM
Nothing in Michigan is unimportant.
What about I-75 in the UP north of the Mackinac Bridge? I think that it could suffice as a 2 lane road.

IMO a very bad idea. 

I-95 in Maine between Bangor and Houlton (border with New Brunswick, Canada) was built in the 1960's as a Super-2, though it did widen out to four lanes divided at the interchanges only.  Many drivers made the fatal mistake of assuming that they were on a four lane divided highway, resulting in deadly head-on crashes. 

Even now, the traffic volumes on this part of I-95 are low (at Houlton, not far from the border, AADT in 2018 was less than 2,000 and at Smyrna, about 12 miles south (really compass west) of Houlton they were about 5,000) and if not for the safety problem, a Super-2 would probably be adequate.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ozarkman417

Missouri has to be I-72. It enters the state for a few miles only to end at US 36 (which 72 is concurrent to) & 61, consisting of a grand total of two exits.

The OP said sections of interstates, not interstates, but 72 in MO can't really be divided up in to sections.

02 Park Ave

For New Jersey, it would be I-76 or I-676.  They both go to Philadelphia.
C-o-H

cpzilliacus

Quote from: dlsterner on June 02, 2021, 07:34:26 PM
As far as I-795, I guess I was in a tough position.  Having driven the Reisterstown Road slog myself, I do understand.  Kind of wanted to say "All interstates in Maryland are important", but that comes off as narcissistic.  That's why I hedged a bit and said the northern part.

You do have a good point about I-895.  The segment from I-95 (south end) to US 1 is nowadays kind of irrelevant since that traffic likely prefers the Ft. McHenry tunnel instead.

I-895 is important in its entire length. 

It provides network redundancy in case there is a serious incident that requires a hard closure of I-95 anywhere between the termini of I-895. 

And though placarded loads are not allowed through the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, the approach to the tunnel and the Exit 9 (Childs Street) ramps (off northbound and on southbound just north of the toll plaza and before the tunnel portal) is an important HAZMAT route for truck traffic to and from petroleum product terminals and tank farms in the Fairfield and Curtis Bay areas of Baltimore City.

I personally prefer I-895 over I-95 through Baltimore. The toll is the same, if there's no construction on I-895 it is generally a faster and more-reliable trip than I-95, and two of the bumpiest bridges on I-895 have been completely replaced recently (Patapsco Flats between I-895B (Exit 6) and MD-295 (Exit 4); and Canton Viaduct between Holabird Avenue (Exit 10) and the north tunnel portal.

There was a multi-fatal truck crash about ten years ago involving a load of gasoline (which was loaded at Fairfield) on southbound I-895 approaching I-95 in Howard County that resulted from the driver of the truck becoming incapacitated and the tractor and tank trailer falling off of I-895 and onto I-95.  In the resulting explosion and fire, the driver was burned beyond recognition, so state and federal investigators were never able to determine why he lost control of the truck.  Southbound I-895 has been modified since then to reduce the likelihood of that happening again.

That crash, the firefighting response and the investigation required an extended closure of both I-95 and I-895, and traffic was diverted to U.S. 1 (not a good choice); MD-295 (not much of a better choice); and I-70 (a better choice to U.S. 29 to MD-100).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.