News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 62 / 67 Arkansas Current River Bridge

Started by US 41, June 15, 2021, 07:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

So I was driving my semi on a road I have drove on too many times to count and I just noticed that the weight limit on the bridge has been lowered from 35T to 15T. Of course they don't let you know this in Pocahontas or Corning, so trucks are still going over this thing all day and I really doubt the police / DOT will even try to enforce this. FWIW my truck is around 34000 lbs (17T) with sailboat fuel so every semi going over is over weight.

On my way up north I took AR 34 and AR 90 from Walnut Ridge to Corning as an alternative. Pretty narrow and rough though with some Y intersections that are hard for us truckers to see traffic when we are trying to pull out.

Does anyone know if Arkansas has any plans to fix this? I'm probably just going to keep using it since that's what everyone else is doing, but it doesn't seem smart to let trucks use a deteriorating bridge with no plans to fix it.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

sparker

Quote from: US 41 on June 15, 2021, 07:11:09 PM
So I was driving my semi on a road I have drove on too many times to count and I just noticed that the weight limit on the bridge has been lowered from 35T to 15T. Of course they don't let you know this in Pocahontas or Corning, so trucks are still going over this thing all day and I really doubt the police / DOT will even try to enforce this. FWIW my truck is around 34000 lbs (17T) with sailboat fuel so every semi going over is over weight.

On my way up north I took AR 34 and AR 90 from Walnut Ridge to Corning as an alternative. Pretty narrow and rough though with some Y intersections that are hard for us truckers to see traffic when we are trying to pull out.

Does anyone know if Arkansas has any plans to fix this? I'm probably just going to keep using it since that's what everyone else is doing, but it doesn't seem smart to let trucks use a deteriorating bridge with no plans to fix it.

Well, seeing as how it's along a stretch of US 67 slated for (eventual) replacement by I-57 -- although the exact alignment is still up in the air -- it might just be that ARDOT might not prioritize a replacement until the permanent bypass is constructed.   Wonder if an inspection turned up issues that resulted in the weight-limit reduction.  Maybe a local AR poster can shed a bit of light on this situation.

"Sailboat fuel" -- now that's a new on on me!

Road Hog

I don't think "sailboat fuel" ever made my 1980s CB glossary, but neither did "wiggle wagon."

cjk374

Quote from: Road Hog on June 17, 2021, 11:54:23 PM
I don't think "sailboat fuel" ever made my 1980s CB glossary, but neither did "wiggle wagon."

I use "sailboat fuel" all the time at my railroad. Especially if I am running light motor (engines only), I will tell the boss I am running a hundred-car unit train of sailboat fuel.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.