News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Teaching road maps to the younger generation

Started by wanderer2575, July 13, 2021, 01:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

I just came across this vignette about a father who gave his 12-year-olds a lesson in using paper road maps to navigate their vacation journey.

https://www.outsideonline.com/culture/active-families/kids-navigate-spring-break-road-trip-no-gps/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Max Rockatansky

Our niece is at the age where she has to obtain knowledge of cars.  Given she lives with us a good portion of the year I'll probably at least explain stuff like maps and road signs.  I see it being a tall order for stuff like that to be retained in memory though.  Most of our extended family can't even remember where to find the campground they have been going to for over twenty years much less how navigate signage to it.

GaryV

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 13, 2021, 01:37:16 PM
// Most of our extended family can't even remember where to find the campground they have been going to for over twenty years //

When my son got his permit, he asked if he could drive to church.  Sure, why not.  He gets behind the wheel, makes all the adjustments and is ready to back out.  "How do we get there?"

We only lived 3 miles from church, and had been going there 2-3 times a week for the last decade and a half.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jeffandnicole

Quote from: GaryV on July 13, 2021, 03:03:40 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 13, 2021, 01:37:16 PM
// Most of our extended family can't even remember where to find the campground they have been going to for over twenty years //

When my son got his permit, he asked if he could drive to church.  Sure, why not.  He gets behind the wheel, makes all the adjustments and is ready to back out.  "How do we get there?"

We only lived 3 miles from church, and had been going there 2-3 times a week for the last decade and a half.

I remember my mom telling the story of my cousin. His parents (my aunt/uncle) were aghast that he, after getting his license, didn't know how to drive to the mall he was taken to at least once a week for probably most of his walking life.

hobsini2

From an early age, like 4ish, I have been collecting and studying road maps and atlases.

When I decided on the college I was going to go to, neither of my parents had visited the campus with me. (Long story short, I went with a friend who was going into the seminary at St Thomas to check out the seminary for myself. I passed on the seminary but the campus was beautiful.) Now, for my parents, they knew how to get to St Paul from home but once in the Twin Cities, I was doing all the navigating from memory. I found the campus easy enough and my mom was shocked. I then took my parents down Summit Ave to see how beautiful this city was.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

kphoger

My dad has always used a Rand McNally road atlas, and I grew up helping with the route planning.  My mom also likes knowing where we're going by the map, at least a rough idea of the highways we'll use.

Every so often, my own kids break out the Rand McNally to find out where we are along the way.  I enjoy teaching them how to read the map.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

thspfc

When I was around middle school age my parents asked me to give them directions from Madison to Denver. We had done that 1,000 mile drive once before. I didn't need to look at a map once the whole way.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: thspfc on July 13, 2021, 07:04:08 PM
When I was around middle school age my parents asked me to give them directions from Madison to Denver. We had done that 1,000 mile drive once before. I didn't need to look at a map once the whole way.
For all interstate drives the mental map is often good enough.

SkyPesos

I taught myself how to read road maps with a 2008 St Louis Rand Mcnally street guide. I have no clue where I placed that book, as it still have the old US 40 interchange layouts.

kevinb1994

Hagstrom atlases and maps were how I got into roadgeeking. You know, the yellow ones!

hbelkins

The parents of elementary school-age children now came of age during a time when online mapping was just taking hold and smartphones became ubiquitous, and GPS devices were on the rise.

Each year, I work an annual back-to-school event at which we give out various highway safety trinkets (activity books, pencils, crayons, whatever keychains or litter bags we may have to spare, etc.) A couple of years ago, we were a bit low on giveaway items so I got a box of official Kentucky maps to supplement our supplies. A whole lot of parents were grateful for them.

As someone who grew up with maps and atlases and still uses them, it was gratifying to see younger people actually still wanting to have and use them.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SkyPesos

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 13, 2021, 09:28:43 PM
I taught myself how to read road maps with a 2008 St Louis Rand Mcnally street guide. I have no clue where I placed that book, as it still have the old US 40 interchange layouts.
Found it while going through some boxes. And turns out it does have the old US 40 interchanges...

(I have no clue what the highlighting is for.)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: thspfc on July 13, 2021, 07:04:08 PM

US-151 to I-80 to I-76? That's my guess.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.