News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-69 in TX

Started by Grzrd, October 09, 2010, 01:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thegeet

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on June 02, 2021, 05:49:25 PM
Quote from: Thegeet on June 02, 2021, 03:41:16 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on June 02, 2021, 03:29:35 PM
Quote from: Thegeet on June 02, 2021, 03:03:49 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on June 02, 2021, 02:04:32 PM
The overhead BGS I am referring to is this one, of course recently replaced.  If you look closer in the streetview (the sign I believe has been replaced), the exit number tab is button copy!!
Does that mean the new BGS is in Clearview? Or did they simply plaster on a I-69E sign on the old sign? Also, since when did they abandon button tab signs? Finally, I wonder how old these signs are.

The new BGS is regrettably Clearview.  Those signs in the pictures have to date back to the 90s, even the button copy one.  All this talk is making me regret not taking a picture, but it was 10:00 at night and I don't think my wife would have liked me taking a picture that wouldn't come out as we drove, let alone stop for it.
I bet it was 90's, considering the disproportioned interstate shield. Whenever you decide to go back to Corpus, I highly recommend taking a video instead of a photo. I think that taking a photo is a high risk, and you might miss the sign. Also, did they replace the US 77 Victoria sign too?

If I remember correctly, the whole gantry got new BGSs.
Nice. All they really need to do is install exit number tabs on I-69E south of the southern I-37/I-69E/US 77 interchange.

Thegeet

Quote from: Thegeet on June 01, 2021, 09:05:20 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on June 01, 2021, 08:56:51 PM
Quote from: Thegeet on June 01, 2021, 08:02:28 PM
https://youtu.be/8XxOz3QjmJ4
This is a video showing US 59 in Victoria and I-37/US 77, from last month.
Is the interchange / overpass construction in Victoria a new one? I recall a similar configuration shifting to the frontage roads back in 2018, it can't still be the same one under construction.

Doesn't appear to show any I-69E signage on I-37 itself, at least from the US-77 approach. Must've been recent then.

Nice to see ongoing progress of the SH-358 reconstruction project in Corpus Christi.

Unrelated to the I-69 thread, but any recent photos or video of the US-181 Harbor Bridge project?
US 59: There is an interchange for Holt Rd,between SL 463 and FM 1686, which is nearing the final days  of construction. There was another interchange for a road called Hanselman Rd between US 87 and SL 463, finished in 2018-ish.
I-37: I bet it was recent, like one or two weeks ago. This is in May 8 when it was recorded. Likely around May 21, an educated guess.
US 181: Unfortunately I don't have pictures, but i saw the bridge on Wednesday. It was still under construction, but the bridge structure is in place.
Aw, shucks! I was talking about the wrong project. I thought you were referring to the US 181/SH 35 split. But I jumped the gun. Unfortunately, we decided to go to Beevile at the last minute, so we didn't get to see the Harbor Bridge. But I assume they're about to install the wire supports for the south portion. What will the old alignment be turned into when it's stripped down?

sprjus4

How convenient... from the Harbor Bridge project team on Twitter today.
https://twitter.com/HarborBridgePrj/status/1400576295893876739

Thegeet

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 03, 2021, 07:21:37 PM
How convenient... from the Harbor Bridge project team on Twitter today.
https://twitter.com/HarborBridgePrj/status/1400576295893876739
That makes me excited as a South Texan who visits Corpus on an occasional basis. Apparently, they will use lights on here as well. They could color it like the American flag and produce fireworks (animation) for the Hooks Baseball team games. Could we see US 181 and/or SH 35 extend and replace SH 286 via this project?

sprjus4

^

Highly unlikely. I'd say just leave SH-286 as established south of I-37, and US-181 as established north of I-37. I don't see any real reason to change a long established designation.

Thegeet

Just went to Houston this weekend. Notes on 69/59:

In Ganado, surprisingly, they're paving frontage roads, well at least one on the southbound side after the first SL522 SB interchange.

In El Campo, the freeway is still closed for the FM 1162 overpass bridge construction. The bridge is taking form. They've got about 70% of the bridge done, and they're starting to work on the rails on each side. They've put on about 75-80 % of the decorative tiles that go on the side.

In (north of Wharton &) Hungerford, there is considerable construction of the frontage roads. There is a bridge being built at BU 59/SH 60. There is also another bridge being worked on by the NB side before the CMV station.

In Kendelton & Beasley, the Doris Rd interchange is complete for use AFAIK. The SB exit is not open yet, though. Still, there are lane closures scattered around the freeway, but I believe the work within the main lanes is substantially finished.

In Rosenberg, the frontage roads are getting cleaned up.

Also passed by Victoria. Upon further observation, there are two new lanes being paved east of BU 59T. The Holt Rd overpass is still unpaved. Right now, it's graveled, and no rails installed yet.

Also, get ready for that I-610 closure. Nothing yet for Inez, El Toro/Vanderbilt, Louise, Hillje, or central Wharton.

ethanhopkin14

There will be a new section of I-69E:

3.3 Miles of I-69E Added to the Interstate Highway System

The Transportation Commission on Wednesday gave the final approval to signing 3.3 miles of US 77 west of Corpus Christi as I-69E.  The Federal Highway Administration approved the action May 25th.  The freeway section will be signed concurrently at I-69E/US 77.

In remarks to commissioners, the Alliance pointed out that it is a great day when we can celebrate adding miles of the I-69 Corridor to the nation's Interstate Highway System — this week in Nueces County and soon in Fort Bend County.  We thanked the Commission and TxDOT staffers throughout the Department who continue to plan, fund and build segments of I-69 at an accelerating pace.

abqtraveler

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 07, 2021, 11:29:01 AM

The Transportation Commission on Wednesday gave the final approval to signing 3.3 miles of US 77 west of Corpus Christi as I-69E.  The Federal Highway Administration approved the action May 25th.  The freeway section will be signed concurrently at I-69E/US 77.

In remarks to commissioners, the Alliance pointed out that it is a great day when we can celebrate adding miles of the I-69 Corridor to the nation's Interstate Highway System — this week in Nueces County and soon in Fort Bend County.  We thanked the Commission and TxDOT staffers throughout the Department who continue to plan, fund and build segments of I-69 at an accelerating pace.
So this has got to be the recently-upgraded section from Robstown to the north end of the Driscoll Bypass. Is that correct?

Fixed the quote.
- Alex
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: abqtraveler on July 07, 2021, 12:08:48 PM

So this has got to be the recently-upgraded section from Robstown to the north end of the Driscoll Bypass. Is that correct?

Far as I can tell.

Fixed the quote.
- Alex

Thegeet

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 07, 2021, 12:26:49 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on July 07, 2021, 12:08:48 PM

Far as I can tell.

It won't take long for I-69E to get extended again to Kingsville.

Fixed the quote.
- Alex

sprjus4

https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/commission/2021/0630/11d.pdf

It's the segment that was completed a few years ago south of Robstown. It's already sign posted as "I-69"  (without the E) so I'm not sure anything will change on the ground, unless they swap the "I-69"  shields with "I-69E"  (sadly).

Thegeet

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 07, 2021, 01:07:05 PM

It's the segment that was completed a few years ago south of Robstown. It's already sign posted as "I-69"  (without the E) so I'm not sure anything will change on the ground, unless they swap the "I-69"  shields with "I-69E"  (sadly).

The only thing we could look forward to is US 77 north of Raymondville (at Ytturia).

ethanhopkin14

According to that press release, it will be IH 69-E.  If it is signed that way I will die laughing!

In seriousness, we are looking at the possibility of exiting south at Calallan on I-69E which is signed with individual shields as I-69, then go into the newly signed section signed as I-69E.  And we wonder how there are so many error shields.  When they do go through there to eradicate those I-69 shields, a few will get left behind and will stay all the way up until the highway is complete. 

Thegeet

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 07, 2021, 01:15:54 PM

According to that press release, it will be IH 69-E.  If it is signed that way I will die laughing!

In seriousness, we are looking at the possibility of exiting south at Calallan on I-69E which is signed with individual shields as I-69, then go into the newly signed section signed as I-69E.  And we wonder how there are so many error shields.  When they do go through there to eradicate those I-69 shields, a few will get left behind and will stay all the way up until the highway is complete.

I predict that they will leave at least one non E sign up for many years, just like the washed up US 59 NB shield between Exits 129A and B.

sparker

Quote from: Thegeet on July 07, 2021, 08:12:53 PM

I predict that they will leave at least one non E sign up for many years, just like the washed up US 59 NB shield between Exits 129A and B.

At least if they replace the errant non-suffixed I-69 signs, they'll have a few available to post farther north along the corridor.  Save TxDOT a few bucks in the process (marginal, of course, relative to the whole corridor project!).

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: sparker on July 08, 2021, 05:54:02 AM

At least if they replace the errant non-suffixed I-69 signs, they'll have a few available to post farther north along the corridor.  Save TxDOT a few bucks in the process (marginal, of course, relative to the whole corridor project!).

Yes, if they ever replace the current I-69 shields on I-69E, they will be repurposed somewhere along the corridor where the interstate is only I-69.  Only thing is, it doesn't really save any money.  They still have to make new I69E shields to replace the current I-69 ones, that, had they not made the error, would have just been placed in their correct spot anyway.  In fact you might argue it is a money loser, since you paid workers to install the wrong shield, then pay them again to take them down, and install the right ones, then pay them to install them in the correct spot, instead of paying them to install shields, then paying them to install other shields somewhere else along the corridor. 

Bobby5280

Considering how these highway shields are often mass produced the labor costs (traveling to/from the site and installation) are worth more than the sign panels. The existing I-69 shields have been in place for a number of years. Weather, particularly coastal weather, may have taken some effect on those shields. TX DOT could try to store them and re-use them elsewhere along the I-69 corridor. Chances are good at least some of them will have to be cleaned up and re-decorated. It might be cheaper to recycle that aluminum and start over from scratch with new, clean, routed aluminum blanks.

Thegeet

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 08, 2021, 12:00:25 PM
Quote from: sparker on July 08, 2021, 05:54:02 AM

Yes, if they ever replace the current I-69 shields on I-69E, they will be repurposed somewhere along the corridor where the interstate is only I-69.  Only thing is, it doesn't really save any money.  They still have to make new I69E shields to replace the current I-69 ones, that, had they not made the error, would have just been placed in their correct spot anyway.  In fact you might argue it is a money loser, since you paid workers to install the wrong shield, then pay them again to take them down, and install the right ones, then pay them to install them in the correct spot, instead of paying them to install shields, then paying them to install other shields somewhere else along the corridor.
Exactly. They could use them for the section under construction from Kendleton to South of Rosenberg. Although it is also possible they just decide to discard those shields instead, and make new ones for the main I-69 corridor.

BTW, google maps has updated street view for US 59 from East of Ganado to Houston. It is dated April 2021.

Thegeet

Update on Driscoll Bypass: After watching a video on a Snapchat story, the future NB lane at the future BU 77 exit south of Driscoll has the BGS installed and signed as North I-69E/US 77.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Thegeet on July 08, 2021, 11:00:59 PM
Update on Driscoll Bypass: After watching a video on a Snapchat story, the future NB lane at the future BU 77 exit south of Driscoll has the BGS installed and signed as North I-69E/US 77.
Do you have a link to that?

abqtraveler

The Driscoll Bypass is definitely starting to take shape. Latest satellite view from Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/@27.6824055,-97.746814,2835m/data=!3m1!1e3
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Thegeet

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on July 09, 2021, 09:32:32 AM
I screened it with my phone. It's kinda blurry though.
https://flic.kr/p/2majo25
Quote from: abqtraveler on July 09, 2021, 10:24:47 AM
The Driscoll Bypass is definitely starting to take shape. Latest satellite view from Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/@27.6824055,-97.746814,2835m/data=!3m1!1e3

That satellite imagery has been there for a couple of months. It's likely closer to completion at this point. On Zachry Construction"˜a website, its expected finish date is August 2022.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Thegeet on July 09, 2021, 12:26:35 PM

That satellite imagery has been there for a couple of months. It's likely closer to completion at this point. On Zachry Construction"˜a website, its expected finish date is August 2022.

We all know those expected completion dates are always met.  :-D

Thegeet

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 09, 2021, 01:36:33 PM
Quote from: Thegeet on July 09, 2021, 12:26:35 PM

We all know those expected completion dates are always met.  :-D
XD. I honestly think it could be open months earlier. And I thought they would only sign it US 77 first, then I-69E.

sparker

Quote from: Thegeet on July 09, 2021, 01:39:47 PM
And I thought they would only sign it US 77 first, then I-69E.

Not a chance; TxDOT and their Alliance for I-69/TX cohorts have a lot, reputation-wise, on getting those tri-color shields posted ASAP on as many miles as they can to show whatever progress has actually been made. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.