News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Best of Road Pictures

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, April 25, 2012, 10:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on September 21, 2020, 04:49:01 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 21, 2020, 04:18:05 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 21, 2020, 04:02:03 PM
A similar rental car symbol made its way onto an overhead sign at the off-site rental car facility for SeaTac airport, although it's white on blue with a white circle: https://goo.gl/maps/tr4TvNLupQuo5b3x6

As far as off-site rental cars: I guess it depends on how much the airport is growing. If the airport is super busy, I'd rather not mix rental car returns with arriving and departing personal vehicles as well.

It doesn't help that SeaTac is just a miserable airport in general and then you have to cram onto a shuttle bus for the rental facility at the end of it.  Granted, SeaTac is bursting at the seams and said rental car facility is actually fairly nice. 

Out of all the detached rental car lots I regularly deal with I like O'Hare.  It's a very short shuttle and they tend to run very frequently.

They're making progress! The low ceilings and long boring corridors of the old airport are slowly being changed. The N-Gates are the best recent change. Way more airy and much nicer to be in. The new international arrivals terminal looks incredible. One day, it'll be a good airport, but as you say, it's bursting at the seams and it's just hard to build fast enough to keep up. Hence all the construction everywhere and the overall not-great experience for the time being.

Moving the rental car facility off-site allowed them to free up parking in the main garage, which they can sell at inflated prices to wealthy pilots and make a bunch of money. Hopefully for further improvements to the airport. Plus, the old garage didn't contain all rental agencies. Thrifty, for example, was always off-site but now is in the main facility off 518 with everyone else.

SeaTac's rental car facility is not as far away from the terminals (compared to Phoenix).  It also doesn't seem that far away from the light rail line.  A direct line from the rental car facility to Tukwila Int'l station is only 1/4 mile, which can be walkable with a nice bridge.  It seems to be only slightly longer than the distance from the airport terminal to the airport light rail station through the parking garage.

jakeroot

Quote from: mrsman on September 21, 2020, 07:31:58 PM
A similar rental car symbol made its way onto an overhead sign at the off-site rental car facility for SeaTac airport, although it's white on blue with a white circle: https://goo.gl/maps/tr4TvNLupQuo5b3x6

As far as off-site rental cars: I guess it depends on how much the airport is growing. If the airport is super busy, I'd rather not mix rental car returns with arriving and departing personal vehicles as well.

It doesn't help that SeaTac is just a miserable airport in general and then you have to cram onto a shuttle bus for the rental facility at the end of it.  Granted, SeaTac is bursting at the seams and said rental car facility is actually fairly nice. 

Out of all the detached rental car lots I regularly deal with I like O'Hare.  It's a very short shuttle and they tend to run very frequently.

They're making progress! The low ceilings and long boring corridors of the old airport are slowly being changed. The N-Gates are the best recent change. Way more airy and much nicer to be in. The new international arrivals terminal looks incredible. One day, it'll be a good airport, but as you say, it's bursting at the seams and it's just hard to build fast enough to keep up. Hence all the construction everywhere and the overall not-great experience for the time being.

Moving the rental car facility off-site allowed them to free up parking in the main garage, which they can sell at inflated prices to wealthy pilots and make a bunch of money. Hopefully for further improvements to the airport. Plus, the old garage didn't contain all rental agencies. Thrifty, for example, was always off-site but now is in the main facility off 518 with everyone else.

SeaTac's rental car facility is not as far away from the terminals (compared to Phoenix).  It also doesn't seem that far away from the light rail line.  A direct line from the rental car facility to Tukwila Int'l station is only 1/4 mile, which can be walkable with a nice bridge.  It seems to be only slightly longer than the distance from the airport terminal to the airport light rail station through the parking garage.

It's almost the exact same distance. It's a common question when people drop their rental car off at the airport, if they're not going to the airport immediately, the best way to get to the light rail line. Given the frequency of the buses and the covered walkway to the SEA Airport light rail station, it's usually suggested that people take the shuttle to the airport and then walk to the airport station. Might take a bit longer, but it would be a guaranteed dry walk instead of something that could be wet. More than a possibility around here.

Long term, so much of me hates to have the only connection to the rental car facility be a bus. Some rail-based transportation device seems way nicer. Problem is, the light rail is such a long walk and it's not free. Plus there's no stop for the rental car facility, so there's no point. A 1-mile northeasterly extension of the existing Bombardier Innovia automated trains from the N-gates seems like the best option, but that would involve up to two transfers for half the airport (unless the whole system was redesigned to be more circuitous and less of a leg-system), and (big one) a new security checkpoint at the rental car facility. Not to mention a huge investment.

formulanone

Traveling to an off-site rental car facility by bus is pretty much a given at 80-90% of the largest US airports.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on September 21, 2020, 09:10:03 PM
Traveling to an off-site rental car facility by bus is pretty much a given at 80-90% of the largest US airports.

Yes, all the more reason why I liked flying into Tampa and Orlando (by far the two airports I visit the most).  The shuttle to the new rental car facility in Tampa is pretty handy though and doesn't really add much time over the old walk. 

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on September 21, 2020, 07:54:03 PM
Quote from: mrsman on September 21, 2020, 07:31:58 PM

It's almost the exact same distance. It's a common question when people drop their rental car off at the airport, if they're not going to the airport immediately, the best way to get to the light rail line. Given the frequency of the buses and the covered walkway to the SEA Airport light rail station, it's usually suggested that people take the shuttle to the airport and then walk to the airport station. Might take a bit longer, but it would be a guaranteed dry walk instead of something that could be wet. More than a possibility around here.

Long term, so much of me hates to have the only connection to the rental car facility be a bus. Some rail-based transportation device seems way nicer. Problem is, the light rail is such a long walk and it's not free. Plus there's no stop for the rental car facility, so there's no point. A 1-mile northeasterly extension of the existing Bombardier Innovia automated trains from the N-gates seems like the best option, but that would involve up to two transfers for half the airport (unless the whole system was redesigned to be more circuitous and less of a leg-system), and (big one) a new security checkpoint at the rental car facility. Not to mention a huge investment.

Easily people ask because they are likely to see how close the tracks are as they return their car.  It is not that far of a walk, but the pathway appears to discourage walking.  If this gate here were open in both directions, the walk would probably not be that bad.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.4615416,-122.2910378,3a,75y,249.25h,73.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbCEBMDr-1v0MP90YqHrrgQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

It would be unusual for a rental car center to be connected to the "air side" (behind security) transportation system and such is usually not done.

While most "land side" transportation systems do appear to be within airport properties, there are some airports that take advantage of the city's public transportation system for some airport transport functions.  The Minneapolis light rail connects the two terminals of MSP and if your trip is limited to between those two stations, there is no fare charged.  This is smart as it saves a lot of money compared to operating two separate train systems (one to connect city to airport, and one for travel around the land side of the airport).  Given the layouts, if there was some political will, there is no reason why something similar couldn't be done for the rental car center at Sea-Tac.  A couple million in some walkability improvements would obviate the need to operate the shuttle bus system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Blue_Line_(Minnesota)

jakeroot

Quote from: mrsman on September 22, 2020, 06:45:12 AM
Easily people ask because they are likely to see how close the tracks are as they return their car.  It is not that far of a walk, but the pathway appears to discourage walking.  If this gate here were open in both directions, the walk would probably not be that bad.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.4615416,-122.2910378,3a,75y,249.25h,73.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbCEBMDr-1v0MP90YqHrrgQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

It would be unusual for a rental car center to be connected to the "air side" (behind security) transportation system and such is usually not done.

While most "land side" transportation systems do appear to be within airport properties, there are some airports that take advantage of the city's public transportation system for some airport transport functions.  The Minneapolis light rail connects the two terminals of MSP and if your trip is limited to between those two stations, there is no fare charged.  This is smart as it saves a lot of money compared to operating two separate train systems (one to connect city to airport, and one for travel around the land side of the airport).  Given the layouts, if there was some political will, there is no reason why something similar couldn't be done for the rental car center at Sea-Tac.  A couple million in some walkability improvements would obviate the need to operate the shuttle bus system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Blue_Line_(Minnesota)

If they were truly desparate, I suppose another light rail station could be constructed in the median of the Airport Freeway. But I think, asking people what they'd prefer, the shuttle would win:

* shuttle: walk right outside bag claim, hop on a very frequent bus, direct access to loading zone at new rental car facility
* light rail: walk quarter mile through parking garage, wait 10+ minutes for a light rail train, then walk another 300 feet from a new station to the facility.

I'm going to go with "shuttle".

The air-side connection idea was to make the buses seem like a long walk. Big issue with my plan is those with checked baggage, since you need to leave the main terminals to get your bags. The departing point for an automated train would absolutely, then, have to be near baggage claim. And the shuttle is already right there. So...hmm. I guess a better light rail system might indeed be the better option.

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 21, 2020, 09:18:18 PM
Quote from: formulanone on September 21, 2020, 09:10:03 PM

Yes, all the more reason why I liked flying into Tampa and Orlando (by far the two airports I visit the most).  The shuttle to the new rental car facility in Tampa is pretty handy though and doesn't really add much time over the old walk. 

Tampa has a longish light-rail ride after taking the really-short people mover from landside to airside. I think it's really clumsy, there's no reason to just have the walk from terminal to baggage claim (or ticketing to security, then to the gate).

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Finally got some pictures to rival Formulanone's collection in this thread...

US 85 NB near the Wyoming-South Dakota border

One of the loop-de-loops (or as they call them, "pig tails") along the Iron Mountain road in the Black Hills
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

kphoger

My two favorites from a recent camping trip:

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Where is that tunnel at?

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 07, 2020, 12:56:55 PM
Where is that tunnel at?

Apishapa Arch, just barely outside the San Isabel National Forest boundaries, in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of Colorado
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

And here's the first one, with some color editing.

Male pronouns, please.

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Max Rockatansky

Just wrapped up a long trip up north, here is some of the better stuff I got:

CA 263/Old US 99 1931 Pioneer Bridge

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 263/Old US 99 1931 Shasta River Bridge
IMG_6819 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

OR 273/Old US 99 Loop Overpass

US 199 Collier Tunnel

Newton B. Drury Parkway (Old US 101)

CA 255 Samoa Bridge

CA 211/1911 Fernbridge (Old CA 1)

CA 283/1941 Rio Dell Bridge (Old US 101)

CA 254/Avenue of the Giants (Old US 101)
IMG_8696 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 271 1934 South Fork Eel River Bridge (Old US 101)

CA 281 approaching Clear Lake

kphoger

Those are all great!

I especially like the sky and light on CA 211/1911 Fernbridge (Old US 101).
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on October 15, 2020, 09:28:31 AM
Those are all great!

I especially like the sky and light on CA 211/1911 Fernbridge (Old US 101).

Luck of the draw with sunrise right behind me.  Kind of made up for not being able to find a good vantage point of the entire bridge.  I went back and fixed the goof I made, the Fernbridge was part of CA 1 that was never finished. 

formulanone

jakeroot

It's amazing. California has such a massive amount of cool shit. It's like its own little country. Although physically it is larger than many countries...I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

I think my favorites from above are of the 1931 Pioneer Bridge, the Samoa Bridge, and (because I'm a sucker for clear skies) the drop down into Clear Lake along 281.

Really great photos as usual, "Max".

riiga

Max Rockatansky

Something different, the 1864 Knight's Ferry Covered Bridge from atop a nearby bluff:

kkt

Fantastic photos!  Are they doing some work on the Collier Tunnel or the rest area?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on November 09, 2020, 05:28:23 PM
Fantastic photos!  Are they doing some work on the Collier Tunnel or the rest area?

There was a big fire up there earlier in the year.  You can see the aftermath if you click on the photo link which directs to my US 199 photo album.

Max Rockatansky

Made a trip to Cedar Grove of Kings Canyon National Park yesterday.  Getting there requires taking the incredibly scenic corridor of CA 180 east of Grant Grove through Kings Canyon itself:

CA 180 east of Hume Lake Road looking down into Kings Canyon.  CA 180 can be seen below snaking towards Ten Mile Creek.

IMG_1655 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 180 high above the Kings River approaching the Middle Fork Kings River/South Fork Kings River Vista.

IMG_1678 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 180 from the Middle Fork/South Fork Kings River Vista.

IMG_1696 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 180 approaching Horseshoe Bend.

IMG_1800 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 180 from Horseshoe Bend looking westbound.

IMG_1811 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 180 looking east from Horseshoe Bend.

IMG_1820 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 180 east approaching Boyden Cave.

IMG_1833 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_1838 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

One more from within the boundary of the Cedar Grove District of Kings Canyon National Park.  I thought this photo of Kings Canyon Road approaching Zumwalt Meadow was pretty cool.

IMG_1992 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

jakeroot

The lighting in these pictures is simply incredible.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 13, 2020, 10:51:32 PM

This one is wallpaper quality. Let me know when you start taking pictures that are 5120 pixels wide! :-D

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on November 14, 2020, 05:43:36 PM
The lighting in these pictures is simply incredible.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 13, 2020, 10:51:32 PM

This one is wallpaper quality. Let me know when you start taking pictures that are 5120 pixels wide! :-D

Amusingly I already made it my lap top background screen.  Even more amusing was my wife was upset that I didn't have one of our wedding photos as the background like she did when I showed her. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.