News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Hampshire

Started by 74/171FAN, June 17, 2009, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: cl94 on January 10, 2015, 10:18:50 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 09, 2015, 07:06:15 PM
This may relate to the New Hampshire Turnpike. I'll ask anyways:

Very near Exit 7 of I-95 in Portsmouth is mile marker 15.6. I don't see a mile marker 16 sign after that before the state line, on or near the Piscataqua River Bridge. Does that mean the bridge isn't a part of the Turnpike? I'm pretty certain that I-95 in New Hampshire is over 16 miles long.

Barely 16 miles (16.08 to be exact). The mile marker would be just inside the over truss, with the state line at or before its midpoint.

But then where's the 15.8 marker?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

Quote from: 1 on January 11, 2015, 09:59:54 AM
Quote from: cl94 on January 10, 2015, 10:18:50 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 09, 2015, 07:06:15 PM
This may relate to the New Hampshire Turnpike. I'll ask anyways:

Very near Exit 7 of I-95 in Portsmouth is mile marker 15.6. I don't see a mile marker 16 sign after that before the state line, on or near the Piscataqua River Bridge. Does that mean the bridge isn't a part of the Turnpike? I'm pretty certain that I-95 in New Hampshire is over 16 miles long.

Barely 16 miles (16.08 to be exact). The mile marker would be just inside the over truss, with the state line at or before its midpoint.

But then where's the 15.8 marker?
Halfway between those two.
HTH

yakra

Mile markers notwithstanding, the bridge is not part of the turnpike, which ends at the Portsmouth traffic circle.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Pete from Boston

What happened that the <20-mile I-93 expansion is taking so long? 

In 2002, it was placed on some kind of "Fast Track" list.  The web site for the project says requests for bids on the last segments won't be advertised until 2016, making it a 16- or 17-year-long process.  This timeline is getting to be in a class with that of the Big Dig.

spooky

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 15, 2015, 10:34:48 AM
What happened that the <20-mile I-93 expansion is taking so long? 

In 2002, it was placed on some kind of "Fast Track" list.  The web site for the project says requests for bids on the last segments won't be advertised until 2016, making it a 16- or 17-year-long process.  This timeline is getting to be in a class with that of the Big Dig.

or at least nearing the Route 128 add-a-lane timeline.

froggie

Funding, or lack thereof.  The gas tax increase that New Hampshire approved last year was in no small part to pay for the rest of I-93 widening.

hotdogPi

Quote from: froggie on February 17, 2015, 08:27:51 AM
Funding, or lack thereof.  The gas tax increase that New Hampshire approved last year was in no small part to pay for the rest of I-93 widening.

I thought it was to counteract the removal of tolls on Exit 12 on the Everett Turnpike.

froggie

Nope...those tolls were only a very small amount of revenue.  Certainly not such requiring a 4+ cent increase in the tax.

No, finishing the widening of I-93 was SPECIFICALLY cited as a primary factor in the gas tax increase...roughly 2/5 of the additional revenue goes to I-93 and paying off the bonds being used to finish the widening.

Pete from Boston

This feeds back into the mention in another thread of why New Hampshire doesn't fund commuter rail extensions into that state when it seems like such a logical move.  It surprises me that tax-hostile New Hampshire even went for that four-cent increase, but I guess it shows how desperate they were to get that project funded and finished.

SidS1045

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 17, 2015, 01:27:42 PM
It surprises me that tax-hostile New Hampshire even went for that four-cent increase, but I guess it shows how desperate they were to get that project funded and finished.

Tax-hostile NH isn't nearly as tax-hostile as it once was, mostly because William Loeb is dead.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

PHLBOS

Quote from: SidS1045 on February 17, 2015, 01:38:45 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 17, 2015, 01:27:42 PM
It surprises me that tax-hostile New Hampshire even went for that four-cent increase, but I guess it shows how desperate they were to get that project funded and finished.

Tax-hostile NH isn't nearly as tax-hostile as it once was, mostly because William Loeb is dead.
Much of southern NH is now known as Massachusetts Lite.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

froggie

QuoteThis feeds back into the mention in another thread of why New Hampshire doesn't fund commuter rail extensions into that state when it seems like such a logical move.

I recently learned that NHDOT actually studied that in an "I-93 Transit Study" about 5 years ago.  Amongst the options considered were a regional rail service extending to Concord (the "Capital Corridor"....something similar to the Downeaster in Maine), a T extension to Nashua, and a T extension to Manchester.  The regional rail service to Concord is still being considered, but the study's recommendation was for a T extension via Salem to north Londonderry near the I-93/NH 28/Exit 5 interchange.

SectorZ

Quote from: froggie on February 18, 2015, 12:00:50 PM
QuoteThis feeds back into the mention in another thread of why New Hampshire doesn't fund commuter rail extensions into that state when it seems like such a logical move.

I recently learned that NHDOT actually studied that in an "I-93 Transit Study" about 5 years ago.  Amongst the options considered were a regional rail service extending to Concord (the "Capital Corridor"....something similar to the Downeaster in Maine), a T extension to Nashua, and a T extension to Manchester.  The regional rail service to Concord is still being considered, but the study's recommendation was for a T extension via Salem to north Londonderry near the I-93/NH 28/Exit 5 interchange.

I imagine, after the past couple of weeks, those T ideas will go down the drain. Extending Lowell to Nashua, with maybe a stop in North Chelmsford, would be a pretty intelligent idea.

dcbjms

Quote from: Cjzani on February 18, 2015, 03:23:49 PMI imagine, after the past couple of weeks, those T ideas will go down the drain.

Maybe, maybe not.  I would hope that it wouldn't be dead in the water - it would be nice to have dual MBTA/Amtrak service, IMO.

PHLBOS

Quote from: froggie on February 18, 2015, 12:00:50 PMI recently learned that NHDOT actually studied that in an "I-93 Transit Study" about 5 years ago.  Amongst the options considered were a regional rail service extending to Concord (the "Capital Corridor"....something similar to the Downeaster in Maine), a T extension to Nashua, and a T extension to Manchester.  The regional rail service to Concord is still being considered, but the study's recommendation was for a T extension via Salem to north Londonderry near the I-93/NH 28/Exit 5 interchange.
While its not uncommon for state transit agencies to have facilities/serve in adjacent states; I believe there is a threshold limit regarding how far into the state and/or how extensive the service can be to the adjacent state.

While I can see the MBTA (aka the T) extending one of their commuter rail lines to Nashua, NH; I don't see them taking ownership of any extension further north (Manchester and Concord).  Such would have to be done via Amtrak or whatever NH transit agency that serves the area.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

shadyjay

Commuter rail serving southern New Hampshire seems like a no brainer.  Unfortunately in recent memory, NH only wants service if they don't have to pay for it.  Amtrak's Downeaster service is funded by the state of Maine, while the Vermonter (which serves Claremont NH) is funded by Vermont.  The New Hampshire stations contribute quite a bit of $$$ to the bottom line, and the demand seems like its definitely there.  Regarding the "Capital Corridor", NH should fund the T extension to Nashua, then progress northward from there.  RI has been doing the same thing... first Providence, then TF Green Airport, then Wickford Jct, and Kingston next. 

KEVIN_224

http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/local/2015/03/05/spaulding-tollbooth-crash-dover/24474825/

The New Hampshire DOT released the video of Thursday's toll booth crash on the Spaulding Turnpike. Wow! :(

mariethefoxy

I don't know if this is supposed to be in the MA or the NH topic but the Exit 1 on Everett Turnpike is really badly signed. You cross over from MA and suddenly theres the Exit, I had to badly cut across to get to it. Theres no advanced signs for it, and suddenly hidden behind bushes there the Exit 1 Right Lane sign and if you're not careful its easy to miss entirely.

hotdogPi

Quote from: mariethefoxy on July 21, 2015, 04:44:00 PM
I don't know if this is supposed to be in the MA or the NH topic but the Exit 1 on Everett Turnpike is really badly signed. You cross over from MA and suddenly theres the Exit, I had to badly cut across to get to it. Theres no advanced signs for it, and suddenly hidden behind bushes there the Exit 1 Right Lane sign and if you're not careful its easy to miss entirely.

How did you manage to get from Long Island to New Hampshire in 11 minutes by car? (Your previous post, asking how to get to Nashua while passing through Vermont, was 11 minutes before this one.)

mariethefoxy

Quote from: 1 on July 21, 2015, 05:42:09 PM
Quote from: mariethefoxy on July 21, 2015, 04:44:00 PM

How did you manage to get from Long Island to New Hampshire in 11 minutes by car? (Your previous post, asking how to get to Nashua while passing through Vermont, was 11 minutes before this one.)

Dude I wish there was a way to make that trip that fast. But I never left yet and I'm referring to previous trips to that area.

froggie

Northbound I-93 in Concord is closed due to a sinkhole that formed in the left lane just before Exit 14.  NECN has overhead videoWMUR has ground-level photos.

roadman

Quote from: froggie on August 19, 2015, 03:15:14 PM
Northbound I-93 in Concord is closed due to a sinkhole that formed in the left lane just before Exit 14.  NECN has overhead videoWMUR has ground-level photos.

At the top of their 5 pm broadcast, WBZ Channel 4 had a 20 second blurb with an overhead shot, then decided that the idiotic saga of the underinflated football was more important.  Of course, no mention of how bad the backup had become (in fairness, MetroTraffic gave no backup details in their reports either).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

KEVIN_224

The Nature Boy

I just saw on Facebook that some idiot got a DUI after he was caught driving towards the hole on I-93.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 19, 2015, 09:50:47 PM
I just saw on Facebook that some idiot got a DUI after he was caught driving towards the hole on I-93.
Imagine having to tell your family if you ended up driving in. :pan:

1: So d'ya know about the sinkhole that opened up on I-93?
2: Yeah?
1: Kinda drove into it, yeah...
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.