News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Magic: The Gathering

Started by hotdogPi, January 21, 2014, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Do any of you play Magic: The Gathering?

Do you have any really cool cards?

Can you think of any road-related cards to make up?

I have this in one of my decks. I will use it against ethanman62187.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

corco

Hahaha. What do we look like, a bunch of nerds?

agentsteel53

I played 1994-96 or so.  should've held on to my Loti!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

nexus73

I played from 1994 to 2001.  During that time I beat Richard Garfield at the Life, The Universe and Everything Else symposium at BYU.  He got Channeled/Disintegrated!  I also developed the deck used by Mark Justice when he won the Nats in 1995 and was runnerup at Worlds when the opponent got a Mind Twist through on the opening play of the third match in a best of three in a Type II format.  It was based on small casting cost cards and the Elkin Bottle as a drawing mechanism.  At the time The Duelist said it was the worst card in the Ice Age set.  I begged to differ!   

In 2001 I sold all my cards including the Power 9 (which I bought and sold for a second time), dual lands and all the other goodies and went into Mage Knight.  I wound up becoming a Warlord and running tournments.  Also I collected every single Draconum, Solonavi, MDF and Titan plus I was one of the founders of the Draconum High Council, a clan on MKRealms.  When that game died I gave all the pieces and accessories to my ersatz stepson.

Then it was time for another game so I bought into Axis & Allies.  That led to me snagging the Anniversary Edition (as well as several other editions) and pimping it out with a ton of extra pieces.  By then the game scene where I live had dried up and the last time there was an A&A game here, I would play just one nation on each side during a two game set that lasted about three hours with my side winning easily each time.  My presence was that unbalancing.

Since then I sold the A&A Anniversary Edition and all it's add-ons and went into CB radio where I shot skip from New Zealand to North Carolina and from Canada to Mexico with a classic setup of a Cobra 142 GTL, a Palomar Skipper 300 linear, a D-104 and it was all fed into a Sirio dipole.  That was quickly supplanted by ham radio when I ran across an old family friend from over 40 years ago who helped me get into ham radio back in the day.  I got the Amateur Extra ticket and passed all three exams in one setting, which took me all of 45 minutes and half of that was filling out the paperwork...LOL!  Now I am VP of the county's radio club, an ARRL-accredited Volunteer Examiner and a county sheriff's department accredited ARES/RACES (emcomm) volunteer.  That took me a bit less than half a year and now I have a HF base station setup with an ICOM IC-7200 as the main piece, a VHF base station setup and a couple of HT's.  Toss in my collection of older Grundigs and Philips, two Uniden scanners and another pile of accessories.  Radio is a game too! *grin*

So what's next?  I don't know but whatever it is will be exciting!

Rick   
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Duke87

I've been an avid baseball card collector for 20 years.

It's honestly kind of depressing to me. I've seen sports cards go from something that was popular back in the day to something that basically no one cares about anymore except a community of adult survivalists hanging onto their childhood hobbies. And in the process I've seen the cards being produced go from being colorful, diverse, and interesting to being rather boring and repetitive. The bottom pretty much fell out of the market around 2004 or so and the hobby hasn't been the same since.

Of course, gaming cards aren't to blame for this decline, they've merely swooped in to fill the void left by the sports card industry that destroyed itself through mismanagement. I don't really blame kids these days for playing Magic or whatever instead, it's more interesting than (today's) sports cards and kids would rather play games with something than treat it as a precious collectable anyway.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Molandfreak

Quote from: corco on January 21, 2014, 05:10:52 PM
Hahaha. What do we look like, a bunch of nerds?
Yeah. My brother plays magic and I don't. And I'm the roadgeek ;-)
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

US71

Quote from: 1 on January 21, 2014, 04:47:29 PM
Do any of you play Magic: The Gathering?

I played Dungeoons & Dragons in college, but it was Hobbit forming, so I gave it up .
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

froggie

Magic:  the Gathering of Your Money...

Laura

I dated a guy who was in a national Magic: The Gathering Tournament. Even before that I had two decks, but only played occasionally for fun. My favorite card is the Sceptre of Dominance.

nexus73

Quote from: froggie on January 24, 2014, 09:37:57 PM
Magic:  the Gathering of Your Money...

ROTFLMAO!  So true!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

WillWeaverRVA

I played from 1997-2004, and again from 2011 through 2013. I still participate in discussion of the game but I just haven't had time to play lately.

I have created cards, though.

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

I played 1998-2001. Still have a black deck somewhere in my house. It's probably worth some money now since all the cards are long out of print.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

exit322

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on January 27, 2014, 07:32:31 AM
I played from 1997-2004, and again from 2011 through 2013. I still participate in discussion of the game but I just haven't had time to play lately.

I have created cards, though.

I would probably enjoy playing with an Alanland MTG deck, if only because of the possibilities of complete and utter nonsense...because it's Alanland!

Though that card almost has some sort of use.

hotdogPi

I understand this is an almost 10-year bump of my own thread, but I would rather not create a duplicate. At least two people who joined well after this thread was created play (LilianaUwU and Hobart), plus one who joined in 2009 but never posted in this thread (Roadgeek Adam).

All my decks are either Commander or "Eternal Brawl", something my local gaming store created that's Brawl but with any Standard allowed, not just current Standard. (I also play Limited, but those don't require having decks, as you build with the cards you open at the event.)

My commander decks currently:

• Monogreen Omnath, Locus of Mana. Basically ramp up a lot, using Omnath to float mana from turn to turn, and get out huge green creatures (or an Eldrazi, although I don't own any non-banned titans). Or hit someone with Omnath him(?)self for 21 commander damage. This is one of my stronger decks.
  • WUB unblockable deck, modified Streets of New Capenna preconstructed deck. The precon also had drawing/discarding as a theme, but I removed that part of it and mainly focused on the unblockable and combat damage trigger part.
  • URG Animar, Soul of Elements deck. While my commander came from a Commander 2011 precon, it's completely changed. It has a +1/+1 counter theme (e.g. one card says "creatures you control with +1/+1 counters have flying"), a well as getting large creatures out for cheap because Animar allows me to do so.
  • RW artifact deck with Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer as my commander. My commander doesn't do that much (just gives my creatures +3/+0 if I have metalcraft, which I usually do). My first artifact deck was UR, but I made that into an Eternal Brawl deck (see below), while moving cards I had more than one copy of, cards outside the blocks I chose for that deck, and white artifact-friendly cards to this commander deck.
  • Five-color Jodah deck. Get Jodah on the field, get a whole bunch of legendary creatures out. This also has a minor domain theme; there are a few non-legendary creatures in there that are dependent on having a domain count as high as possible (typically 5). This is one of my strongest decks, as many of the legendary creatures are quite powerful, and I can include any of them because I'm using five colors.
  • UR instant/sorcery deck. I don't use this one, though. It previously didn't really have a win condition due to instants and sorceries not really giving a board presence. I've changed it, but I don't really know if it will work, as I don't use it.
  • GW token deck. One of my two newest decks, created simultaneously with the Rowan one below. Get tokens out, pump them, etc.
  • BR Rowan, Scion of War deck. One of my two newest decks. The way Rowan works is that if you lose life on your turn (painlands, "deals 4 damage to each player", pay 1 life to draw a card, etc.), you can tap Rowan to make the rest of your spells that turn cheaper.

My three "Eternal Brawl" decks:
  • UR artifact deck, Zendikar-M11-Scars-M12 standard. Commander is Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain (the league rules say your commander can be from any block as long as it was from a Standard-legal set, as I would have had zero options for my colors if I had to stay in-block). Most of my cards are from the Scars block, as that's where the artifacts are.
  • Golgari "creatures in graveyard" deck, Innistrad-M13-Return to Ravnica-M14 standard. Commander is Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord, duel deck version but it's the same card as the RTR one so it's fine. The deck cares about the number of creature cards in my graveyard, although there isn't that much reanimation.
  • Monoblack Sheoldred, the Apocalypse deck. Current standard minus Wilds of Eldraine (the store is ignoring that Standard got extended from two years to three for the purposes of this league, so I have to fit it into two years).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

WillWeaverRVA

I still don't play but I'm quite active within the Magic community. I contribute to RoboRosewater Masters, a project that uses AI and neural networks to create cards with varying levels of success, and I'm one of the two people in charge of Rosewatta Stone, which runs cards through layers of Google Translate, usually with wacky results.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

JayhawkCO

I'm a nerdy board game guy. I own over 125 games, but never got into the LCG type of stuff.

Takumi

Quote from: Takumi on January 27, 2014, 11:00:10 AM
I played 1998-2001. Still have a black deck somewhere in my house. It's probably worth some money now since all the cards are long out of print.

I've searched for said deck a couple times and haven't been able to find it. Oh well.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

LilianaUwU

Considering I named myself after Liliana Vess... surprisingly, I haven't played all that much. And with how WOTC is going, I've pretty much stopped buying product.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.