News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Lunar eclipse tonight

Started by hotdogPi, September 27, 2015, 09:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Eastern Daylight Time used throughout this post. Lunar eclipses happen simultaneously everywhere, so if you are in a different time zone, convert the times.

Current day and time as of typing this: 9:04 PM, September 27, 2015

Penumbral eclipse: 8:12 PM - 1:22 AM
Partial eclipse: 9:07 PM - 12:27 AM
Total eclipse: 10:11 PM - 11:23 PM
Maximum: 10:47 PM

(Times from here)

This moon is also the harvest moon, a blood moon, and a supermoon.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

rickmastfan67

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

rickmastfan67

Looks like I will not be able to see it live from my place.  Too many dang clouds in the sky. :(

Was able to catch a glimpse of the Super Moon back at about 7:30PM on my way home before the clouds showed up to completely block the sky.

Jim

Crystal clear skies in eastern NY.  Impressive show!
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

empirestate

Quote from: Jim on September 27, 2015, 10:23:15 PM
Crystal clear skies in eastern NY.  Impressive show!

But not southeastern NY. However, the early stages were mostly unobstructed by thin, high clouds. The bulk of the event was clouded over with very occasional breaks, but we did enjoy a minute or two of clearing right at the maximum point. Through binoculars, I enjoyed seeing a background of stars right up to the moon's disc, making it look more like Mars than our own satellite.

SignGeek101

Perfect view from Winnipeg. Didn't watch the whole thing, but a lot of pictures were taken! Might post some later.

DaBigE

Weathercasters on the local stations kept saying we'd have poor to fair viewing due to clouds, but at least by me, all the clouds disappeared just in time:

(photo I took just outside my home)
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

empirestate

Even at totality, it seems everyone still saw a thin highlight on one edge or another of the moon's disc; did anybody have a moment where they saw the moon as thoroughly and uniformly red? Or is the highlight just an unavoidable feature of any lunar eclipse (the sun still has to shine from somewhere)?

bandit957

Every place in the world saw it except us, because it was cloudy.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Pete from Boston

My favorite part was watching the throngs out in the streets and parks all staring up, periodically cheering, clapping, and in one instance chanting "MOON! MOON!  MOON!"  Nice to see people enjoying this little tear in the fabric of normalcy.

iPhone

vdeane

I don't recall the moon looking particularly red last night.  Really dark gray yes, but red no.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

freebrickproductions

Too cloudy here in Huntsville, AL. :(
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

empirestate

Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 28, 2015, 01:03:49 PM
Too cloudy here in Huntsville, AL. :(

No it wasn't; didn't you see the comment above? Kentucky is the only place in the world that was too cloudy. :-D

iPhone

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on September 28, 2015, 12:54:31 PM
I don't recall the moon looking particularly red last night.  Really dark gray yes, but red no.

You must not have been looking at the same moon I was.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on September 28, 2015, 05:14:58 PM

Or maybe he saw it at a different time. If it was before 10:11 PM (EDT, also UTC-4:00), it looked like a partial moon, with no red appearing.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on September 28, 2015, 05:17:34 PM

Or maybe he saw it at a different time. If it was before 10:11 PM (EDT, also UTC-4:00), it looked like a partial moon, with no red appearing.

Wait...vdeane's a dude? :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

xcellntbuy

Heavy clouds here in middle Georgia.  We are having our seventh day of rain in a row.

vdeane

Or maybe he she saw it at a different time. If it was before 10:11 PM (EDT, also UTC-4:00), it looked like a partial moon, with no red appearing.
I was periodically checking it from the small window on my front door.  I may not have caught it at the best time.  And I'm also comparing it to a couple of lunar eclipses I saw in the past that were really impressive with the red; judging by the photos I've seen of this one, the red was less impressive than usual (perhaps because of the super moon?).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

I'll upload eclipse pictures next week after we get home. We were at the Valley of the Gods Bed and Breakfast near the Moki Dugway. The eclipse was perfect for us. I stuck the 300 mm lens on the camera to take close-ups of the Moon, then switched to a wide-angle lens to get the stars and the Milky Way. By far the most spectacular sky I've seen since sometime in the 1980s, and the eclipse darkening the moon made it that much better! The final picture I took was a 25-minute exposure that made the stars look like they were rotating around the sky.

We're at the Grand Canyon now. Not sure I'll stay out late at the rim to take more night-sky pictures. The goal tonight is to capture the sunset. It's something like a 15-minute walk down to the rim, so I won't be going back and forth a lot.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

wxfree

A really beautiful photo from this area is going around Facebook.  Someone took a photo about every 10 minutes showing the Dallas skyline and the progress of the moon's movement and of the eclipse and composited them into a single image.

Facebook post

Direct link to image
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

vdeane

Quote from: vdeane on September 28, 2015, 06:42:09 PM

Or maybe he she saw it at a different time. If it was before 10:11 PM (EDT, also UTC-4:00), it looked like a partial moon, with no red appearing.
I was periodically checking it from the small window on my front door.  I may not have caught it at the best time.  And I'm also comparing it to a couple of lunar eclipses I saw in the past that were really impressive with the red; judging by the photos I've seen of this one, the red was less impressive than usual (perhaps because of the super moon?).
Come to think of it, I wonder if light pollution is a factor.  Comparing a view from a freeway traversing exurban/rural areas to one from a decently-lit apartment parking lot might not be fair...

Pete from Boston

I first saw it from the Mass Pike.  There was just a black smudge for most of the progress of the shadow.  Not until I saw it well more than 50% total from the Common here close to an hour later was there a red glow.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on September 29, 2015, 12:52:07 PM
Quote from: vdeane on September 28, 2015, 06:42:09 PM

Come to think of it, I wonder if light pollution is a factor.  Comparing a view from a freeway traversing exurban/rural areas to one from a decently-lit apartment parking lot might not be fair...

The redness didn't show for me until the partial phase was fully elapsed and the moon was in total shadow. Even then, a thin veil of clouds across the moon's face would dull the redness into a gray-black, so you might have been looking through conditions like that.

kkt

Wonderful, wonderful view here!  Went to Snoqualmie Point Park with a star party of about 500 other folks -- some amateur (or pro) astronomers with telescopes and some interested general public with binoculars or just eyeballs.  Beautifully clear skies of the sort we in the Pacific Northwest have learned better than to expect!  Moon was sort of a brownish orange during totality.  Nice long total period, and it was a bonus for us getting it in the early evening so we weren't half asleep or dead on our feet Monday.  All in all, an ideal astronomical event.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.