News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How did you start on this forum?

Started by hotdogPi, May 08, 2017, 10:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Before I started on this forum, I joined crosscountryroads.com, which only had a few members (the website still exists, but the forum is gone). When I joined this forum in August 2013, my first post was detailed, and then I acted like a typical new member, except I never started a welcome thread. August 2013 was also around the time I stopped participating in the Minecraft Wiki. I was 14 years old at the time, and the forum had an enforced minimum of age 13 (now, there is no minimum, as shown by noelbotevera).

My "home page" for the forum was the Who's Online page (it is now Recent Unread Topics). Sometimes, I would resurrect a thread, but the replies actually contributed, not just "I agree" or answering a question asked 4 years ago. One thread got split off from another thread, now titled "Thread Exhumation" (which Roadgeekteen ironically revived), which was about how I was reviving threads. I made about 5 posts per day at first, but now that number has significantly decreased.

At the beginning, I mostly knew about local routes more than routes around the country. I remember mixing up US 201 and US 301 on the August 25, 2013 trivia night. I did not enter the forum knowing exactly which 2di numbers were used and which ones were not, although I learned that fairly quickly.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Max Rockatansky

I used the shield gallery for years since a lot of it was verifiable information that could referenced in sign collecting which is a hobby of mine.  I wasn't a forum member but I would sometimes look for reference sites that were often cited on the forum, especially stuff with old alignment histories or historic road maps.

I'm still active on a couple car and off-roading forums but really my interest has kind of waned given that very few in performance car culture are doing really anything that unique anymore.  The off-roading stuff is kind of niche so it really get that much play as say a muscle car forum would.  That being the case, I was bored and just figured I would sign up finally to give this site a try.

plain

I followed the forum for a few years and then finally joined last year. Didn't join at first because of the bickering I saw but then I was like hell why not
Newark born, Richmond bred

kphoger

I lurked for a while, but I don't remember how I found the forum.  I do remember developing a respect for JNW, his knowledge, and his renderings.  I also don't remember exactly why I signed up, but it had something to do either with APL signs or Mexican road sign fonts.  I went away for a while a couple of years ago when tempers were getting hot, but I came back.

Before this, I was a big fan or Eric Stuve.  (When I told him so during a road meet, he looked at me kind of weird like.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

I lurked for a while and joined because I wanted to share my ideas about roads. Also, I know this kinda breaks the point of this, but I also joined so I could access the boards guests can't view. Sorry if you get mad at me for this.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MNHighwayMan

I'm pretty sure I found this site via a Wikipedia reference. (Whether or not this site/forum is a valid Wiki reference is a whole 'nother discussion.) I registered here back in September 2014, then promptly forgot about this place until I rediscovered it almost two years later (perhaps through the same medium? I don't recall), which is when I made my first post.

Since then, I've become addicted because it's nice to have other people to talk to who have the same interests. My IRL friends know about my... odd interests... and they respect it (and at least listen when I go on about it :D) but they're not really people to have in-depth conversations about highway subjects with.

My online roadgeekery goes back to at least the mid 2000s, when I discovered Steve Riner's MN highways site. (Does he post here? I'm really not sure.) And how I found his site is an even greater mystery, because I was in middle school way back then, on very slow DSL, and as such those memories are really quite vague, or forgotten altogether.

hbelkins

I think I dived right in, since I was a veteran of MTR and the Roadgeek Yahoo group and the various regional groups that were active.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

A longer-time member who was local told me about it.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Brandon

I was a member of mtr for quite sometime, then participated from time to time in the Yahoo groups, but that was inconsistent compared to my time with mtr.  Then I happened upon the forum here in 2009 and been back ever since.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

The Ghostbuster

I've loved roads, highways, and maps my entire life. I began reading this forum well before I joined in February 2015.

Rothman

I was on m.t.r. and when that went away, I came here.  Found out about it from old m.t.r. members.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cjk374

I found this site while researching old Louisiana state highway signs. I just looked at my profile & discovered that I registered here in 2009. Time has certainly flown by.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

triplemultiplex

Another m.t.r. transplant.  It was a huge improvement over that unmoderated mess.  (You haven't lived if you were never "Tom-from-Ohio-ed" ;) :-D ) I instantly liked the way one could show off their fictional cartography, even if it got a little too far into fantasyland.  Sometimes it's funny how upset some people get about other people's ideas.  And sometimes it's fun to be the one who is upset.

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

slorydn1

I dabbled on MTR back in the late 90's/early 2000's, which led to finding Gribblenation, which led to regular use of various other roadgeeking sites (the major one being Canesfan27's "All Things NC" site).

According to my profile I registered in March of 2012, but the during the time between when I actually registered to the time my registration was accepted in I had forgotten that I had (damn night shift lol).

Then one day after a long night of work in February 2015 I was searching around for something road related (I think it may have been about the possibility of NC tolling I-95) and some Google links brought me back here, but I couldn't view the posts because they were hidden in members only forums. I all of a sudden remembered that I "may" have registered here a few years before but I couldn't remember my password. Rickmastfan67 got me straightened out and I have been here ever since.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

epzik8

I had been browsing AARoads proper since around 2007 or '08, and eventually discovered the forums, and then I finally decided to take the plunge last July having launched my own site dedicated to highway photos; I joined wanting to share some of those photos and my knowledge of the roads north of Baltimore, Maryland and some other areas.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

SSOWorld

I submitted my first post.

THEN I was unable to stop posting....

:awesomeface:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

7/8

I joined the form last June after lurking on-and-off for about a year. My love of road trips and my road atlas led me to believe that this forum would be a good match for me, and I haven't been let down. The Take-It-Yourself Route Number Challenge got me into road photos by inspiring me to drive around Waterloo Region taking photos of the regional road shields. Now the Street Sign Name Game and the Road Sign City Name Photo Game are two of my favourite threads. :)

LM117

Quote from: plain on May 08, 2017, 11:05:03 AM
I followed the forum for a few years and then finally joined last year. Didn't join at first because of the bickering I saw but then I was like hell why not

Same here. I've lurked the forum since 2013, but I didn't take the plunge until last year
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

US71

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 08, 2017, 10:56:20 PM

We can fix that  :evilgrin:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: US71 on May 09, 2017, 12:09:57 AM

Scott is a mod to. Do we really want another vger?(Sarcasm)
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

rickmastfan67

Quote from: slorydn1 on May 08, 2017, 08:42:42 PM
I all of a sudden remembered that I "may" have registered here a few years before but I couldn't remember my password. Rickmastfan67 got me straightened out and I have been here ever since.

:cheers: :thumbsup:

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 09, 2017, 12:18:40 AM

There's no need to type (Sarcasm) on the forum.  Everything everybody says on here is expected to be sarcastic.  If, OTOH, you type something without a hint of sarcasm, then (1) you need revise the text or, failing that, (2) you need to append the text with something like [/serious].
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Quote from: kphoger on May 09, 2017, 01:42:25 PM

There's no need to type (Sarcasm) on the forum.  Everything everybody says on here is expected to be sarcastic.  If, OTOH, you type something without a hint of sarcasm, then (1) you need revise the text or, failing that, (2) you need to append the text with something like [/serious].

At least until we install the sarcasm font :p
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brandon

Quote from: US71 on May 09, 2017, 01:53:05 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 09, 2017, 01:42:25 PM

Which will not be Clearview.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kkt

Quote from: US71 on May 09, 2017, 01:53:05 PM

That's not what the purple text means?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.