kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 17, 2018, 02:17:35 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 17, 2018, 01:22:42 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 11, 2018, 07:25:27 PM
Quote from: webny99 on May 11, 2018, 07:23:16 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 11, 2018, 01:40:43 PM
State College, PA
is not a college.

It has a state college though, so it hardly counts.

From the OP, then...  Liberal (KS) has a liberal.

At least, I think there might be.

One, at least.

Maybe.
I wonder if Rush Limbaugh would go there LOL! :-D :D

I believe Bob Dole was from there, so...probably.

Bob Dole was from 200 miles away from Liberal.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Ah.  I could've sworn there was some kind of Bob Dole/Liberal, KS connection, guess not.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 17, 2018, 02:58:54 PM
Ah.  I could've sworn there was some kind of Bob Dole/Liberal, KS connection, guess not.

There's a VA clinic in Liberal named after him, but I think it really just takes its name from the VA center here in Wichita.  Other than that, I don't know what you might be thinking of.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 17, 2018, 03:09:35 PM

There's a VA clinic in Liberal named after him, but I think it really just takes its name from the VA center here in Wichita.  Other than that, I don't know what you might be thinking of.

Maybe he appeared there during a campaign for Senator or President, I couldn't tell you what it was either.

michravera

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 16, 2018, 12:51:32 PM
Quote from: michravera on May 11, 2018, 05:31:48 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 03, 2018, 09:08:02 AM
Quote from: lepidopteran on May 02, 2018, 07:56:27 PM
Meanwhile, on NBC, during the last 20 years that Johnny Carson hosted The Tonight Show, Ed McMahon's famous schpeil ending in "Heeeeere's Johnny!" used to begin with "Frommmmm Hollywood! The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson".  Only problem is, NBC's studios are on Alameda Ave. in Burbank -- this is in the San Fernando Valley, which is nowhere near Hollywood.

"From Burbank!" wouldn't have jibed well with Carson's regular jokes about Burbank, though.

"Rowan and Martin's Laugh In" made a point of "Beautiful Downtown Burbank".

As a punchline to a joke and/or the butt of a joke, though.

Not exactly. Gary Owens (the voice of Roget Ramjet as well as the "golden voice" West Coast announcer) would introduce the program as originating from Burbank. Sometimes, he would indicate that the show was hoping to avoid airing or whatever, but he was always apparently serious.

US71

Robert J. Dole VA Medical Center Liberal, KS

Also Dodge City, Hutchinson,  Hays, Parsons, Salina, and Wichita
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

D-Dey65

Quote from: GenExpwy on April 28, 2018, 02:03:00 AM
New York:

Johnson City (next to Binghamton) – incorporated village, not a city
Java Village (Wyoming County) – unincorporated, not a village
New City (Rockland County) – unincorporated, not a city

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Garden City (Nassau County), which is a village, rather than a city.

dvferyance

I am confused of what this thread is about. Is it about cities with names that don't make sense or about large places that are not incorporated cities? with the later I can come up with Highlands Ranch Colorado population 110,000 but it's unincorporated.

kphoger

Quote from: dvferyance on May 21, 2018, 04:00:52 PM
I am confused of what this thread is about. Is it about cities with names that don't make sense or about large places that are not incorporated cities? with the later I can come up with Highlands Ranch Colorado population 110,000 but it's unincorporated.

It's about cities with names that don't make sense w/r/t to what they are.

People talking about the official differences between villages, towns, cities, townships, unincorporated locales, and kibbutzim are just being pedantic.
Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

West Milford, NJ considering Milford,NJ is southwest of West Milford on the other side of the state.

North Bergen, NJ is not north of Bergen (that is a county to the west and north of North Bergen).

North Arlington, NJ is not north of any town named Arlington. Its north of Kearny, NJ.

Upper Freehold, NJ is not above Freehold (both township and Borough) but to the south-west of both redundantly named corporations (yes only in NJ duplicate municipal names can be used).

New Brunswick, NJ has no old Brunswick.  In fact North Brunswick is south of New Brunswick, but only because North Brunswick is north of South Brunswick does that township name make some sense.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sparker

Weed, CA -- despite the state-level decriminalization of marijuana -- does not allow the cultivation, sale, or public use of such within their city limits (along with multiple other incorporated CA jurisdictions).  Thus standing below the famous "WEED" arch over US 97 while toking is done at one's own risk!

abefroman329

Quote from: sparker on May 22, 2018, 05:08:11 PM
Thus standing below the famous "WEED" arch over US 97 while toking is done at one's own risk!

One would hope LEOs have better things to do, but noted.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: kphoger on May 21, 2018, 04:16:27 PM

People talking about the official differences between villages, towns, cities, townships, unincorporated locales, and kibbutzim are just being pedantic.

Yup. That's why I brought the city town of Madrid, Spain :sombrero:. But going by what the OP meant, last Sunday I passed near Itsasondo in the Basque Country, Spain, supposedly meaning "by the sea" (from itsaso "sea"; and the suffix -ondo "by the", "next to") but located 20 odd miles inland (and indeed, the name actually means "next to the broom bush", the first part being the similar word itsas "broom bush").
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 22, 2018, 06:00:19 PM
last Sunday I passed near Itsasondo in the Basque Country, Spain, supposedly meaning "by the sea" (from itsaso "sea"; and the suffix -ondo "by the", "next to") but located 20 odd miles inland (and indeed, the name actually means "next to the broom bush", the first part being the similar word itsas "broom bush").

Inquiring minds want to know...  Was it by a broom bush?
Male pronouns, please.

jmd41280

California, Indiana, and Oklahoma.  In this case, they are all towns in southwestern PA.  California and Indiana are both known for their rival state universities (California University of PA and Indiana University of PA).  California is located on the Monongahela River south of Pittsburgh.  Indiana is the birthplace of Jimmy Stewart and claims to be the "Christmas Tree Capital of the World".  Oklahoma is a small community in Westmoreland County northeast of Pittsburgh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California,_Pennsylvania

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana,_Pennsylvania

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma,_Pennsylvania
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

GenExpwy

North East, Pennsylvania, is in northwest Pennsylvania.

webny99

Quote from: GenExpwy on May 23, 2018, 02:44:47 AM

I always assumed North East referred to its location within Erie County, not the state.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: GenExpwy on May 23, 2018, 02:44:47 AM
That reminds me, though it's slightly off topic.
In Georgia, there's a shortline railroad called the "Georgia Northeastern" which runs through...

...you guessed it...

...northwest Georgia. :bigass:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

plain

Quote from: jmd41280 on May 22, 2018, 11:39:30 PM
California, Indiana, and Oklahoma.  In this case, they are all towns in southwestern PA.  California and Indiana are both known for their rival state universities (California University of PA and Indiana University of PA).  California is located on the Monongahela River south of Pittsburgh.  Indiana is the birthplace of Jimmy Stewart and claims to be the "Christmas Tree Capital of the World".  Oklahoma is a small community in Westmoreland County northeast of Pittsburgh.

Already posted, except Oklahoma...

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 17, 2018, 09:33:54 AM
There's also California, Pennsylvania and Indiana, Pennsylvania...also home to the California University of Pennsylvania and the Indiana University of Pennsylvania.
Newark born, Richmond bred

jmd41280

Quote from: plain on May 23, 2018, 02:33:05 PM
Quote from: jmd41280 on May 22, 2018, 11:39:30 PM

Already posted, except Oklahoma...

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 17, 2018, 09:33:54 AM
There's also California, Pennsylvania and Indiana, Pennsylvania...also home to the California University of Pennsylvania and the Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

I totally missed that one.  I had even checked beforehand to see if they were already posted.  Obviously, I didn't do a good job of that...haha...
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

paulthemapguy

Quote from: kphoger on May 21, 2018, 04:16:27 PM

Thank you!  I am now clear on this...over a month later lol

Brandon's post on "Village of __ City" makes sense with the criteria of the "city names that are nonsense," and I think people carried on from there.

And I won't continue the discussion on pedantry, because the worst kind of pedantry is the pedantry about what is and isn't pedantic  :bigass: :bigass: :bigass:

And if the nonsensical shoe fits towns with names shared with a state they're not in, Illinois has towns named Tennessee, Kansas, Wyoming, Oregon, Ohio, Vermont, and Virginia.  Also, Biggsville isn't big (though it's probably named for someone called "Biggs") :sombrero:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.