News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Preferred sunrise/sunset times

Started by 20160805, May 04, 2018, 06:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming a constant 12 hours of daylight year-round, what times would you most prefer?  Pick up to 3

Earlier than 4:00-16:00
0 (0%)
4:00-16:00
0 (0%)
4:30-16:30
0 (0%)
5:00-17:00
1 (3.3%)
5:30-17:30
4 (13.3%)
6:00-18:00
9 (30%)
6:30-18:30
10 (33.3%)
7:00-19:00
14 (46.7%)
7:30-19:30
12 (40%)
8:00-20:00
6 (20%)
8:30-20:30
3 (10%)
Later than 8:30-20:30
1 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: January 29, 2020, 05:24:00 PM

This is a spinoff of the DST 2018 thread, which is currently 23 pages and growing as of the time of this writing, even despite the clock change being almost two months ago now.

If you were to have a constant 12 hours of daylight year-round, what sunrise and sunset times would you prefer?  You are allowed to pick your top 3 choices from the poll provided.  Feel free to state whether you're an early bird or night owl or other relevant information.

Personally, my daily schedule runs from 05:00-21:00, and it has since I was basically a kid.  I prefer waking up around or slightly before sunrise (ideal maybe during nautical dawn?) and going to bed after astronomical dusk, so my preference would be 06:00-18:00, which also has the advantage of aligning clock noon perfectly with solar noon.

I'm curious and excited to see other people's preferences on this issue!
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

abefroman329

If I only get 12 hours of daylight per day, then I'm choosing times of day that ensure it's light when I leave for work and light when I get home.

At first I was questioning perpetual equinox and the knock-on effects of this, but then I remembered this is life for people who live on the equator, and it seems to serve them just fine.

Bruce

I prefer to watch the sunset during the beginning of my evening commute, which is around 6 pm. There's only a short window of the year where this aligns, so I'm often watching the sunset right as I arrive home in the summers.

adventurernumber1

The three choices I picked in the poll were (ranked in order of what I personally most prefer):
1) 8:00-20:00
2) 7:30-19:30
3) 8:30-20:30

It appears that I prefer it more when the sun rises and sets later. This is because currently, my school starts around 8:30, and when I start college next year, I am planning to have my classes later in the day (maybe starting later in the morning). This means that my entire day may be slightly later than the entire day for the average working person who could possibly be going to work as early as 7:00 A.M. But for that very reason, I definitely see why most people probably don't want their sunrises and sunsets too late.

Even though I can't drive, I still like to see as much daylight as possible when I am awake. This would make sense, because I suffer from Major Depression, and regarding that, more sunlight is better for my mental health (any light at all, actually, which is why many people with Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D - recurring Depression in the Winter months) will use light therapy in their homes to help treat the depressive feelings when there is not as much sunlight during the day). I do naturally feel happier when I see lots of sunlight - and even though it is indescribably hard for me to get out of bed due to the Major Depression, sunrise (morning) light makes me feel even happier than sunset (evening) light - sunshine in the morning seems to pump more euphoria into my system, and it has always been that way. Even with that said, I usually don't go to bed until late, because I have to make sure I take my medications, and often times I have lots of homework and other things (such as showers) that can keep me up longer than is truly, actually preferable for me personally. I have hopes that once school finally ends in a few weeks, I can get on a schedule that aligns more closely with what I actually prefer the most (waking up around sunrise and not going to bed too long after it becomes dark - with winter being an exception with the latter consideration, obviously). For now, there may be quite a few more late nights until school is out, though.  :meh:  :-/  :coffee:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Max Rockatansky

6 AM to 6 PM.  I like to get up around 4 AM to get a morning run in way before people get out of bed.  Its always nice to have a quiet sunrise to myself.  I'm not a night person so an early sundown is just fine with me.

kphoger

I voted 6 AM to 6 PM.  Because that's what noon is supposed to mean.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Eth

7 AM to 7 PM, and the two choices 30 minutes in either direction from that. That would have me waking up right at sunrise and concluding my typical outdoor activities right at sunset.

ET21

Any sunrise after 7 is excellent, no sunshine delays or brightness blind during the AM commute  :nod:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.