News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite Online Traffic

Started by 3467, November 02, 2011, 09:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

http://www.travelmidwest.com/lmiga/map.jsp?mapname=chicagoArea

We had a thread on radio traffic reports. What do you think of various traffic websites?The Chicago area has one of the oldest systems of monitoring traffic and was one of the first with travel times on the radio and online.
They added arterials in Lake county. They have also just added arterials in Chicago but there is no explanation of it on their website so if anyone knows how they get the data please let us know.

I also noticed Mapquest has updated their arterial traffic. They say they have made better adjustments than Google for stop lights. They  have more rural arterials as well but less international coverage

Brandon

Agreed.  I go to Travel Midwest (formerly Gary-Chicago-Milwaukee Corridor) first.  Google, et. al. suck, IMHO, in comparison.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

tdindy88

I have always like this site as well for when I have to head up to Chicago, but for a long time it seemed like there weren't too many cameras, with cameras mostly along just the Kennedy and it looks like parts of 290 around Schaumburg. It seems they have recently added cameras along the Stevenson and Dan Ryan. Is IDOT just taking its time on adding cameras along the system,and along a similar note, does the Illinois Tollway have their own cameras, it seems they have signs, I just would have thought that the camera network in Chicago ought to be among the best in the country.

Lake counts cameras are online. Those are really good. They have arterial sensors there as well.
Does anyone have any idea where the newly arrived data for the city streets came from?

I am geeting more impressed with MapQuests data too. I was able to check out a green to yellow to green location and they did pick something up.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.