AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Elgin-O'Hare Tollway  (Read 219812 times)

mgk920

• Last Login: Today at 11:22:41 PM
Re: Elgin-O'Hare Tollway
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 10:46:22 AM »

A while back in another part of these forvms, I posted an aerial image highlighting the corridor that such a westward extension is likely to take - it is a clear ROW:

Any further extensions (ie, towards De Kalb and/or back to I-90) would have to be westward from US 20 on Elgin's southwest side.

:nod:

(Note, that 'clear corridor' that extends due westward from the free.. .  er, tollway's current west end contains high-energy power lines.)

Mike
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 10:48:27 AM by mgk920 »

sandwalk

• Last Login: March 08, 2024, 11:46:39 AM
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 01:46:51 PM »

A while back in another part of these forvms, I posted an aerial image highlighting the corridor that such a westward extension is likely to take - it is a clear ROW:

Any further extensions (ie, towards De Kalb and/or back to I-90) would have to be westward from US 20 on Elgin's southwest side.

(Note, that 'clear corridor' that extends due westward from the free.. .  er, tollway's current west end contains high-energy power lines.)

Mike

I was wondering what that corridor just north of Stearns Road was (power lines). Thanks for clarifying!

The cost to put a highway alongside the power lines would be astronomical, but that's a thing for the Fictional forum. :)

sandwalk

• Last Login: March 08, 2024, 11:46:39 AM
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 01:49:39 PM »

Sandwalk, as much as that is a pipe dream to go to DeKalb with the EOE, I would love to see that happen. It would cut off a good chunk of mileage from 294-88 as well as not having to deal with the mess of traffic on 294 during rush hour.

Makes sense to me; which means it will never happen.....unfortunately!

Joe The Dragon

• Last Login: Today at 10:19:08 PM
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 02:41:42 PM »

Mike

I was wondering what that corridor just north of Stearns Road was (power lines). Thanks for clarifying!

The cost to put a highway alongside the power lines would be astronomical, but that's a thing for the Fictional forum. :)
local road
https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=60016&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x880fb7815e269259:0xdb8d848f5a46ca10,Des+Plaines,+IL+60016&gl=us&ei=iB7TUdDIL47DywHvmIC4Cw&ved=0CIkBELYD

Joe The Dragon

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 02:50:59 PM »

Mike

single poll with room

as for your map US 20 to bypass it seems like you can fit it in on US 20 by chomping some parking lots

Brandon

• Stop making sense

• Last Login: Today at 07:52:25 PM
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2013, 03:22:57 PM »

Mike

single poll with room

as for your map US 20 to bypass it seems like you can fit it in on US 20 by chomping some parking lots

I think that may have been the original plan.  Going west from there, it's a short distance to an interstate-grade interchange between US-20 and IL-59 (complete with control cities), and another short distance to the existing Elgin Bypass.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Stratuscaster

• Last Login: April 05, 2019, 11:19:30 AM
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2013, 11:09:31 PM »

I wouldn't call it completely clear ROW between County Farm and North Av...there's a few existing things in the way along Devon Av and North Av and at Lake St itself.

And if we are going to go ahead and use the existing US-20/Lake St ROW from there west, there's a whole lot of stuff alongside Lake St between North Av and the Elgin Bypass to deal with, too. Not saying it's impossible...but doesn't seem likely without quite a bit of property acquisition and frontage road requirements through Streamwood and Bartlett.

Revive 755

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 10:56:10 PM

Big John

• Last Login: Today at 09:53:30 PM
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2013, 06:08:01 PM »

^^ Interesting that the pull-through signs has a standard Illinois route marker saying EO under the ILLINOIS.

Brandon

• Stop making sense

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Joe The Dragon

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2013, 08:21:03 PM »

An earlier signing plan for the EOE has been posted:
http://www.dot.il.gov/desenv/Elgin-Ohare%20Final%20EIS/Tier%20Two/I-290%20Access%20Justification%20Report/Appendices/AppendixB/Appendix_B_2030_ICP_Signing_Plans.pdf

taking an free road to ETC only?? I was thinking at least ETC and toll by mail / online (added fee no fines)

if they can pull that off move the other toll roads to ETC only and add more ramps / more direct links.

mgk920

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2013, 08:24:51 PM »

http://www.dot.il.gov/desenv/Elgin-Ohare%20Final%20EIS/Tier%20Two/I-290%20Access%20Justification%20Report/Appendices/AppendixB/Appendix_B_2030_ICP_Signing_Plans.pdf

'IL EO' - Now that's just totally bizarre!

:-P

Taking a free road to ETC only?? I was thinking at least ETC and toll by mail / online (added fee no fines)

if they can pull that off move the other toll roads to ETC only and add more ramps / more direct links.

My understanding is that it is to be toll by mail - 'cash' (double the transponder) rate for non-transponder vehicles.

--------------

Also note that the strip maps in that .pdf file show the I-290/IL EO interchange in its final configuration.

Mike
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:38:16 PM by mgk920 »

JamesT456

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 07:02:44 PM
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 05:36:19 PM »

Rarely post on here but just watching the news & it was reveled the EOE  will be singed as Illinois State Route 390.

illinois.gov link:
http://www3.illinois.gov/PressReleases/PressReleasesListShow.cfm?RecNum=11659
James T.
Driving up & down the Roads most days on the Interstates.

Brandon

• Stop making sense

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2013, 05:50:36 PM »

Rarely post on here but just watching the news & it was reveled the EOE  will be singed as Illinois State Route 390.

illinois.gov link:

It's a number that makes sense, and it's easily convertible to I-390 should ISTHA ever be so inclined to pursue it.

mgk920

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2013, 08:49:06 PM »

illinois.gov link:

It's a number that makes sense, and it's easily convertible to I-390 should ISTHA ever be so inclined to pursue it.

A good numbering, IMHO.  Also in that the new tollway around the west side of ORD will be marked as a full interstate.

Mike

Joe The Dragon

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2013, 09:06:45 PM »

illinois.gov link:

and how many ad's will call it I-390 just like how IL-394 is called I-394

Joe The Dragon

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2013, 07:47:41 PM »

I did not take long for the IL and I part to get mixed up.

WGN 720 called it I-390 in reports many times to day.

Stratuscaster

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2013, 10:06:38 PM »

Saw tonight on the EOE eastbound past Roselle Road is an actual "ILLINOIS 390" shield. I was going to get a photo, but traffic, rain, and darkness conspired against me.

No cardinal plate, just the shield.

Revive 755

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2013, 07:47:23 PM »

Saw tonight on the EOE eastbound past Roselle Road is an actual "ILLINOIS 390" shield. I was going to get a photo, but traffic, rain, and darkness conspired against me.

As of today that shield and one for the WB lanes across from it are the only IL 390 shields on the EOE.

Although I don't really object to the number, I wonder if it may have been better to use 590 instead of 390, given the close proximity of I-355 to the IL 390 interchange on I-290, especially if the EOE does eventually get promoted to an interstate.

mgk920

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2013, 09:33:22 PM »

As of today that shield and one for the WB lanes across from it are the only IL 390 shields on the EOE.

Although I don't really object to the number, I wonder if it may have been better to use 590 instead of 390, given the close proximity of I-355 to the IL 390 interchange on I-290, especially if the EOE does eventually get promoted to an interstate.

Well, I-290 and I-294 kind of closely parallel each other for a distance not far south of there....

Mike

Stratuscaster

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2013, 09:34:29 PM »

Potential driver confusion of 390 and 355? I suppose there's always a chance...but I don't see it.

Stratuscaster

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2013, 11:19:18 PM »

Other documents in the reports talk about how they need to be careful in signing EB IL-EO(390) in order not to confuse drivers that may think "this is the way to O'Hare" when the West Bypass isn't built yet - although I have to say that since it's been called the "Elgin-O'Hare Expressway" for some time now and doesn't go to either destination, that doesn't seem to be a problem.

The signing plan clearly shows EB IL-EO(390) signed as "To O'Hare (airplane)", and then once on the ramps from I-290 it becomes just "O'Hare (airplane)" - so they're presuming the West Bypass AND the ORD west access will be a done deal.

Interesting in that signage on WB & EB I-290 for WB IL-EO(390) will have no control city. I get that the main point of the EOE is airport access, but it's been the EOE for a long time now - they should put "Elgin" on the sign.

The OAPL signs look like they'll be quite gargantuan in size (as most do OAPL signs do). They could halve the size of the arrows and it would still be effective, IMHO.

IDOT & ISHTA should get together and make a standard for that yellow TOLL banner placement - right of the shield/over the cardinal (which I think I prefer), or above the shield.

The little green "Elgin-O'Hare Expressway" signs on the cross streets seem excessive (and look goofy with the "WEST/TOLL" and "EAST/TOLL" banners tacked onto the top - why not just call it "Elgin-O'Hare Tollway"?) Now that it's officially IL-390 that should look a little better. The "I-PASS ONLY" signs underneath also seem a bit much - if they are going to do "pay by mail" then it shouldn't matter, should it?

The lack of signing plans for west of Roselle Road and at US 20 seems a bit odd - perhaps they'll just tack up IL-390 shields where appropriate and call it a day (if they even bother to do that)?

Revive 755

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2013, 12:01:06 PM »

The little green "Elgin-O'Hare Expressway" signs on the cross streets seem excessive (and look goofy with the "WEST/TOLL" and "EAST/TOLL" banners tacked onto the top - why not just call it "Elgin-O'Hare Tollway"?) Now that it's officially IL-390 that should look a little better. The "I-PASS ONLY" signs underneath also seem a bit much - if they are going to do "pay by mail" then it shouldn't matter, should it?

I was under the impression the Toll Authority was still with the seven days to pay, which would be a short time frame for "pay by mail" - though I think there was talk of revising something to account for the no cash tolling system on the EOE.

Stratuscaster

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2013, 07:49:45 PM »

I was under the impression the Toll Authority was still with the seven days to pay, which would be a short time frame for "pay by mail" - though I think there was talk of revising something to account for the no cash tolling system on the EOE.
I had heard something to the effect that ISHTA would use "bill by mail" for those without I-PASS transponders - above and beyond the "pay in 7 days" currently in place. Of course, I can't locate whatever it was that I read that in.

Snagged some images this afternoon. Here's the sign I mentioned earlier - EB IL-390, east of Roselle Road...

This sign was used for - I believe - the groundbreaking ceremony back on 10/29. It's located on WB Thorndale Ave at Park Blvd...

Here's a close-up...wonder if they'll use this along the road like the "CKC" banners on IL-110?

mukade

• Last Login: January 10, 2024, 08:05:39 AM
    • Highway Explorer
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2013, 08:01:36 PM »

Those numbers on the 390 markers look like ones on Indiana signs. I also don't recall the "ILLINOIS" being in that big a font.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.