News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msunat97

Any new updates on the I65/I22 interchange construction progress?

codyg1985

Looks like the flyovers are mostly done except for the US 31 NB to I-65 NB flyover. That one is progressing fast, though.

All of the I-65 SB lanes are mostly done. I-65 NB still diverts to the C/D road, but it looks like final paving is underway for the northbound main lanes.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

The Ghostbuster

How long before it is completed again? I can't wait!

codyg1985

I think the interchange will be done before the paving of the I-22 mainline between Coalburg Road and I-65. When I went through there a couple of weeks ago, it appeared that there were still a couple of layers of asphalt left to place on the mainline (at least from where I could see it at the Coalburg Road interchange).

I would estimate that the interchange would achieve substantial completion in April and the paving on the I-22 mainline will be finished sometime this summer (maybe June or July).
Cody Goodman

The Ghostbuster

Finally! Now they have to figure out just where exactly the western terminus will be. I'd place it at the Lamar Avenue/Davidson Road/Old US 78 intersection, just inside the Tennesse state limits where the current freeway ends.

lordsutch

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 09, 2016, 04:07:13 PM
Finally! Now they have to figure out just where exactly the western terminus will be. I'd place it at the Lamar Avenue/Davidson Road/Old US 78 intersection, just inside the Tennesse state limits where the current freeway ends.

Huh? MDOT has already said the western terminus is going to be I-269. TDOT/Memphis MPO has no interest in properly upgrading Lamar and FHWA apparently isn't going to sign off on a state line terminus.

The Ghostbuster

I know that! The location I posted is where I would end the Interstate if I was in charge of the process. Alas, we roadgeeks are not.

lordsutch

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 09, 2016, 04:07:13 PM
Now they have to figure out just where exactly the western terminus will be.

Your statement from before would seem to contradict your latest one.

cjk374

Are the new I-22 main lanes from I-65 westward going to be hot mix or concrete?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

codyg1985

Hot mix. ALDOT rarely uses concrete pavement anymore.
Cody Goodman

Charles2

The control city for I-22 West will be....Memphis.

I drove out to check the progress today.  The tarp covering one of the BGS's had separated from the sign, and indeed it said "Memphis".

Tomahawkin

Anyone know where the truck stops will be at upon completion? That gas station off of Daniel Boone, is hell and there are no restaurants in that area

codyg1985

There is a Pilot off of Exit 64 in New Albany, MS, a Loves off of Exit 81 in Tupelo, MS, and another Loves off of Exit 65 in Jasper, AL.
Cody Goodman

rcm195

There is also an nice Huddle House, Hampton Inn and Shell station at exit 30 at Winfield.

lordsutch

There's also a good sized truck stop on US 45 at Barnes Crossing, one exit north of I-22. Lots of other services at the same exit too. The Fulton exit (MS 25 south) has several gas stations, including a Murphy USA that's usually cheap.

If you're continuing past future I-269, there's also a Flying J at US 78 exit 6 (Hacks Cross/Bethel roads) in Olive Branch. MS 302, exit 2 (I think), also has lots of restaurants and gas options.

msunat97

Flew over the interchange on a flight from Atlanta to Little Rock last Friday.  The road paving stopped well short of the new bridges.  It looked like all the bridge decks were in place, but had to tell exact condition.

msunat97

Any interchange updates?

clong

jpi

Quote from: Tomahawkin on February 13, 2016, 08:55:35 PM
Anyone know where the truck stops will be at upon completion? That gas station off of Daniel Boone, is hell and there are no restaurants in that area

We also have 2 Cracker Barrels along this route, Jasper, AL and Tupelo, MS at Barnes Crossings.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Charles2

Drove through the construction area of the I-22/I-65 interchange this weekend.  Jersey barriers for all of the C-D roadways are in place, the ramp from 65 NB to 22 WB is paved and striped, sign gantries are mostly in place on both 65 NB and SB.  From what I could tell, none of the sign gantries are in place on 22 EB, though, and the on ramp from 31 onto 65 NB still has some work to do.  My guess is, we're looking at late May or early June.

codyg1985

ALDOT says I-22/65 interchange project is nearly complete: http://www.wbrc.com/story/31605227/aldot-says-i-2265-interchange-project-is-nearly-complete

The interchange itself is 97% complete and the associated paving project is nearly done. It may be all open to traffic in June.
Cody Goodman

rcm195

I guess it just goes to show that miracles still happen!!!😳😳😳

dfwtbear

I hope its open in July when I need to go from Atlanta to Memphis.

tidecat

Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

clong

I drove thru the I-22/I-65 interchange area yesterday. They are still working on the US31 to I-65 North ramp, but have made significant progress on it. 1 lane of SB I-65 between Walkers Chapel Road and the US31/I-22 exit had been milled but not paved. Everything else looked like touch-up work - sweeping some dirt off the road from minor shoulder grading, moving portable toilets, etc.

From the Coalburg Road exit, I saw a crew paving. I don't know how many more layers they have left, but it appeared they were finishing that layer on EB I-22 and had 2 runs left on WB. Can't imagine more than 1, maybe 2 more layers left from the looks of the asphalt already down. Also noticed some new sign gantries (without the signs themselves) had been installed since my last trip up about 6-8 weeks ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.