News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

Quote from: AUTiger7222 on November 05, 2012, 05:46:46 PM
Quote from: msunat97 on November 05, 2012, 04:57:06 PM
I LOVE the 6 lanes on I-22.  I know traffic doesn't dictate the need for them, but it is nice with all that room on the road.  I wish more interstates were 6+ lanes.

I completely agree about more interstates being 6 lanes. I don't travel up to Huntsville so I don't know if I-65 is 6 lanes up there or not but I do travel from Cullman to Birmingham a lot and it sure would be a lot better if 1-65 was 6 lanes at least all the way up to Cullman. The 6 lanes of 1-65 from Birmingham ends right at the Black Warrior River. Travel from there up to Cullman is tough, especially during rush hour.

I traveled up I-65 back in May, but don't recall it being six lanes north of Cullman. I did get on 565 to Huntsville, but took US 72 to get back to 65.

Alex

Updated the AARoads Interstate 22 guide to include eastbound coverage from the state line to Coalburg Road: https://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=i0022al The westbound page remains the same, though I updated the captions at least.

The front page has another photo from the recent Birmingham meet, and I also added seven more to the Interstate Guide page for I-22 as well to go along with an update to the text/history section: http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-022.html

hbelkins

Noticed some little airplane figures on the pavement of westbound US 78 (future I-22) when I drove this route. Are those for aerial speed enforcement?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

BamaZeus

Usually, yes.  They're spaced in exact measurements (1/10th mile or 1/4 mile) so the guy in the chopper can basically set a stopwatch between the two points and make the calculations quickly.

StogieGuy7

Are they going to still refer to this route as the Bankhead Highway in Alabama (a.k.a. "Florida Short Route") once it's an interstate?  Just curious, as I always found both monikers to be really cool for some reason.  Despite the fact that it never seemed like a particularly short route to Florida! 

NE2

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on November 13, 2012, 02:57:33 PM
Are they going to still refer to this route as the Bankhead Highway in Alabama (a.k.a. "Florida Short Route") once it's an interstate?
Huh? Do "they" refer to it as such now? Bankhead Highway seems to still be on the old road, and the Florida Short Route served Huntsville.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

golden eagle

Quote from: hbelkins on November 12, 2012, 05:22:05 PM
Noticed some little airplane figures on the pavement of westbound US 78 (future I-22) when I drove this route. Are those for aerial speed enforcement?

I-57 in Illinois used to have this at one point.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: NE2 on November 13, 2012, 03:08:22 PM
Quote from: StogieGuy7 on November 13, 2012, 02:57:33 PM
Are they going to still refer to this route as the Bankhead Highway in Alabama (a.k.a. "Florida Short Route") once it's an interstate?
Huh? Do "they" refer to it as such now? Bankhead Highway seems to still be on the old road, and the Florida Short Route served Huntsville.

1) http://www.americanroads.us/autotrails/bankheadhighway.html

U.S. 78 was called that.  I was curious if it still will be, as much of the routing is the same.

2) Yes, (at least) the old U.S. 78 corridor heading in to Birmingham was referred to as the "Florida Short Route", which then continued on to U.S. 280 and into GA.  Yes, the "Florida Short Route" also runs through Huntsville.  There's more than one.

Again, the question posed was whether either of these historic titles will be attached to the new freeway. 

NE2

Why would they be attached to the freeway?

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

StogieGuy7

Quote from: NE2 on November 15, 2012, 11:49:28 AM
Why would they be attached to the freeway?

There are maps out there that label it as such.  Delorme Alabama Atlas and Gazetteer for one. 

NE2

If the names are there, they'll remain. If the maps are wrong, they're wrong. Adding a number doesn't usually change the name.

codyg1985

Quote from: golden eagle on November 09, 2012, 07:42:23 PM
I LOVE the 6 lanes on I-22.  I know traffic doesn't dictate the need for them, but it is nice with all that room on the road.  I wish more interstates were 6+ lanes.

I completely agree about more interstates being 6 lanes. I don't travel up to Huntsville so I don't know if I-65 is 6 lanes up there or not but I do travel from Cullman to Birmingham a lot and it sure would be a lot better if 1-65 was 6 lanes at least all the way up to Cullman. The 6 lanes of 1-65 from Birmingham ends right at the Black Warrior River. Travel from there up to Cullman is tough, especially during rush hour.

I traveled up I-65 back in May, but don't recall it being six lanes north of Cullman. I did get on 565 to Huntsville, but took US 72 to get back to 65.

The six lanes ends at the Blount/Cullman County Line right now on I-65. There are projects in the STIP to six-lane I-65 north to AL 69. IMO it should be widened to six lanes to AL 157.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

codyg1985

Quote from: Alex on November 09, 2012, 08:00:39 PM
Updated the AARoads Interstate 22 guide to include eastbound coverage from the state line to Coalburg Road: https://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=i0022al The westbound page remains the same, though I updated the captions at least.

The front page has another photo from the recent Birmingham meet, and I also added seven more to the Interstate Guide page for I-22 as well to go along with an update to the text/history section: http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-022.html

I should mention from your guide that AL 118 has been truncated to AL 69 in Jasper. Between Jasper and Graysville, only AL 5 is signed. There is no signage for Alt US 78 anywhere from what I can tell, either.
Cody Goodman

Alex

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 19, 2012, 07:44:32 AM

I should mention from your guide that AL 118 has been truncated to AL 69 in Jasper. Between Jasper and Graysville, only AL 5 is signed. There is no signage for Alt US 78 anywhere from what I can tell, either.

Amended the captions to reflect Alabama 5 instead of Alabama 118 from Jasper eastward, thanks! Alternate US 78 is referenced on the official state map and on ALDOT general highway maps for the counties along I-22, so I referred to it from there. The photos I have seen from there do not show any signage for it, so perhaps its just an internal designation until I-22 is completed and U.S. 78 returned to its original alignment?

codyg1985

Quote from: Alex on November 19, 2012, 11:23:49 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on November 19, 2012, 07:44:32 AM

Amended the captions to reflect Alabama 5 instead of Alabama 118 from Jasper eastward, thanks! Alternate US 78 is referenced on the official state map and on ALDOT general highway maps for the counties along I-22, so I referred to it from there. The photos I have seen from there do not show any signage for it, so perhaps its just an internal designation until I-22 is completed and U.S. 78 returned to its original alignment?

ALDOT actually applied for the designation to AASHTO and got it approved in 2005: http://route.transportation.org/Documents/Posted_Results_on_SCOH_6-9-05.pdf

I don't know why it hasn't been signed. I am beginning to think you are right; it was done like that so that it can be retained as US 78 when I-22 is finished.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

Cody Goodman

AUTiger7222

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 19, 2012, 07:37:49 AM
Quote from: golden eagle on November 09, 2012, 07:42:23 PM

The six lanes ends at the Blount/Cullman County Line right now on I-65. There are projects in the STIP to six-lane I-65 north to AL 69. IMO it should be widened to six lanes to AL 157.

Yeah. That's what I was saying. It should be at least 6 lanes all the way to AL 157.

msunat97

Made a drive up I-22 from Coalburg Road to Memphis as part of my T-giving travels.  Very nice drive from Coalburg (6 lanes) all the way.

There are 6 lanes to the Jasper Industrial Park exit & then it is 6 lanes again from the west side of Jasper to the Carbon Hill exit.

I did notice that there were concrete barriers on the eastbound side at the highway 78 exit.  I guess this is to limit traffic going East.

Mississippi has done a good job in Marshall county with their paving.  Very smooth ride.  The New Albany area will take a while however.

cjk374

Quote from: golden eagle on November 13, 2012, 06:04:14 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 12, 2012, 05:22:05 PM

I-57 in Illinois used to have this at one point.
I have usually counted 7 seconds in between the airplane figures and the solid lines painted on the breakdown lanes (which is what we have on I-20 in Louisiana).
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

berberry

Quote from: NE2 on November 15, 2012, 03:38:54 PM
If the names are there, they'll remain. If the maps are wrong, they're wrong. Adding a number doesn't usually change the name.

Not officially, but it sure can change common usage.  Sometimes people quit using an old name and use the number, to the point that the old names are sometimes forgotten.

Mississippi is a good example.  Maps of the old national auto-trail system show a few routes across the state that eventually became US highways and ultimately interstates.  The Dixie Overland Highway became US 80 became I-20.  As has been mentioned here, the Bankhead became US 78, which is now becoming I-22.  You can still find obscure signs that say Bankhead Hwy in some of the towns along the original route, but no one ever uses that name for any significant distance of the route anymore. 

Once a number had been assigned, the name was all but entirely forgotten.

codyg1985

From the Special Committee on U.S. Route Numbering Annual Meeting, It looks like I-22 was conditionally approved, pending approval from FHWA and application from Mississippi.
Cody Goodman

Tourian

I never heard Florida Short Route, but did hear Bankhead Hwy regularly. It seemed to only refer to to portion between Pratt City and Forestdale from about the Cherry Ave intersection down to maybe a couple of miles in either direction.

Grzrd

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 28, 2012, 11:00:28 AM
From the Special Committee on U.S. Route Numbering Annual Meeting, It looks like I-22 was conditionally approved, pending approval from FHWA and application from Mississippi.

AASHTO recently said that Alabama has to wait until Mississippi submits an application, but this Mississippi DOT Press Release states that Mississippi has permission to designate US 78 as I-22 from the Alabama state line to US 45 in Tupelo:

JACKSON, MISS., Friday, December 14, 2012 – The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) would like to update motorists on the ongoing reconstruction work along Highway 78 in Union County.
MDOT continues bridge repair and reconstruction work on Highway 78 in New Albany on a six-mile section of roadway from just west of State Route 30 to just east of State Route 15. Highway 78 will soon be fully upgraded to interstate standards which will allow it to be converted into Interstate 22.
Hill Brothers Construction Company, Inc. is the contractor for this project with a contract amount of $18,996,585. This project began in March 2012 and is expected to be complete in November of 2013. Presently, the project is approximately 35% complete with 65% remaining. The contractor expects to have the work on the outside lanes complete near the first of the year. MDOT has been approved to designate this section of road, from the Alabama state line to Highway 45 in Tupelo, as Interstate 22.

When and how did MDOT receive approval for the designation?  :hmmm:

Grzrd

Mississippi DOT ("MDOT") has posted District One Updates, which includes one US 78/ Future I-22 project:

U.S. Highway 78 Upgrade in Union County
A project to upgrade a section of U.S. Highway 78 to current interstate standards, from just west of State Route 30 to just east of State Route 15 in New Albany, is currently under construction ... This project began in March 2012 and is expected to be complete in November 2013.  The project is approximately 35% complete.

MDOT has also posted District Two Updates, which includes two US 78/ Future I-22 projects:

U.S. Highway 78 Rubblization Project in Desoto/Marshall Counties 
Construction is underway on the rubblization project on U.S. Highway 78 between the Coldwater River and West Holly Springs exit in Desoto and Marshall Counties ... In addition to the rubblization and asphalt pavement, other work including new guardrail, signing, pavement marking and drainage repairs will be completed in order to bring this section of U.S. Highway 78 up to interstate standards ... Work has been going on since early 2011, and is approximately 90% complete ...  Work is scheduled for completion in June 2013.

U.S. Highway 78 Rehabilitation Project in Marshall County
... The $21,333,639 project will include overlaying the existing roadway, new pavement markings and signs, and upgrades to the median. In addition, the entrance and exit ramps at the West Holly Springs and Holly Springs interchanges will be extended to meet current interstate standards.   The contractor is currently placing final lifts of asphalt on the guardrail pads along mainline, paving interchange ramps, paving county roads, and placing shoulder gravel.  This work is expected to be completed in December 2012.

Other than the I-269 interchange, MDOT's US 78 upgrade to I-22 should be completed in November 2013.

drummer_evans_aki

Is there any official word as to where the official Western Terminus of I-22 will be?
Could you imagine getting directions from a guy with tourettes?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.