News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

Quote from: NE2 on February 02, 2015, 09:20:27 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on February 02, 2015, 07:36:15 AM
i also hope US 78 is rerouted back onto its former alignment, but since AASHTO tends to frown upon that, I don't see that ever happening.
AASHTO has approved a US 78 Alt. from Hamilton to Graysville, practically the entire length of I-22 in Alabama. ALDOT can always pull a North Carolina and forget the plates.

That is what I am hoping will happen.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

codyg1985

ALDOT has the project on their February 27th letting to let the base, paving, and signing on I-22 between CR 77 and I-65. There are also plans to redo some of the signing between the Graysville AL 5 interchange and CR 77. From looking at the signing plans (which start on Page 46 of the PDF), things aren't made more consistent or less confusing.

- Going eastbound on I-22 approaching the AL 5 interchange, US 78 is signed as the main route at the exit, but going westbound, it is AL 4, with no mention of AL 5 whatsoever.
- The entire length of I-22 east of AL 5 will be cosigned with US 78, but at the I-65 interchange, US 78 just disappears. Right now US 78 is cosigned with AL 5 from I-22 southeast to its present alignment at US 11.
- Jasper is still used as a control city for I-22 westbound, instead of Tupelo or Memphis.
- No mileage signs are being added as part of the plans.
- OAPL signs will be used along I-22 approaching I-65, but there aren't any signs being installed that say TO I-20 and I-59, which, to me, would make sense in this case.

I really think it is ridiculous that ALDOT can't get the signage halfway decent along I-22.
Cody Goodman

lordsutch

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 06, 2015, 03:54:04 PM
ALDOT has the project on their February 27th letting to let the base, paving, and signing on I-22 between CR 77 and I-65. There are also plans to redo some of the signing between the Graysville AL 5 interchange and CR 77. From looking at the signing plans (which start on Page 46 of the PDF), things aren't made more consistent or less confusing.

- Going eastbound on I-22 approaching the AL 5 interchange, US 78 is signed as the main route at the exit, but going westbound, it is AL 4, with no mention of AL 5 whatsoever.

Those are retained signs from what's already posted, not new signs. I think it's a typo in the plan sheets; westbound the sign is currently for AL 5, not AL 4. The only new guide signs are those illustrated on plan sheets 100 and 101 (122/123 of the PDF). Since they can't install the new signs until the route is complete to I-65 and they can move US 78, I'd imagine that's when the Exit 85 signs will be replaced.

As for the cross-road signage, it's not exactly unusual to post a local destination rather than a long-distance control city for traffic entering from local roads like CR 77; they're far more likely to be headed to Jasper than Memphis, after all. And again they're retained signs, not new fabs.

Also of note: they're raising the speed limit from 65 to 70, and it appears the signs on I-65 are part of a separate project.

codyg1985

Quote from: lordsutch on February 06, 2015, 06:50:16 PM
Also of note: they're raising the speed limit from 65 to 70, and it appears the signs on I-65 are part of a separate project.

Those signs are to be installed as part of the I-22/65 interchange project, but the I-22 signs are to be covered up until the paving project is complete.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

Cody Goodman

MikeSantNY78

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 10, 2015, 07:32:50 AM
The latest pictures from the I-22/I-65 interchange construction: http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/02/interstate_65_plan_for_heavy_m.html
Nice to see they're doing something at the I-65 end; nicer if they can get the Coalburg to I-65 part of I-22 done on time as well...

NE2

Don't think anyone's posted photos of signs yet:

from http://www.flickr.com/photos/auvet/15306956713/
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

msunat97

Does anyone really think this is completed in August as indicated in the article linked by codyg1985?

Charles2

Quote from: Charles2 on January 17, 2015, 08:23:11 PM
Quote from: rcm195 on January 16, 2015, 09:54:44 PM
Went through the I-22 I-65 construction zone today. If I'm wrong, please, someone correct me, but I see no way this project will be finished by August of this year. And isn't that the new date to be finished? There is a lot of unfinished work there.

I drove through there today for the first time in about a month and thought the same thing.  I saw a fair amount of progress from my last trip through there, but I'm rather skeptical that the 22/65 interchange will be finished in seven months, much less the new ramp from US 31 north onto I-65 north. 

A couple of questions that maybe someone knows the answer to: (1) What is the status of the connection between I-22 and US 31?  Will that be a separate project? (2)  Will the existing exit from I-65 S onto US 31 remain, or will it be torn down?

I answered part of my own question when I drove out to see the progress last weekend.  The existing exit from I-65 onto US 31 will be incorporated into a C/D exit from I-65 S onto I-22 W; similarly, the ramp from US 31 onto I-65 is being incorporated into the same C/D.

rcm195

Local Jasper, Al newspaper, The Daily Mountian Eagle(yeah, I know, it's a mouth full), had an interview with an ALDOT official in Wed. paper. Wallace McAdory said the interchange would be completed between Oct. and Nov. of this year. So, I guess we shall see.

He also was talking about ALDOT redoing there districts? What's that all about?

codyg1985

Cody Goodman

Charles2

rcm195

Yeah, just saw the same article a few minutes ago. One can only hope. Given the troubles with the flyovers, I for one, when it is open for traffic, would make all the ALDOT officials and the guys at Archer Western ride over them first.....just to be on the safe side!

ARMOURERERIC

With the sequencing of construction, how hard would it be to get the 22e to 65s ramp open?  Would that not be a big help?

Charles2

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 02, 2015, 10:22:16 PM
With the sequencing of construction, how hard would it be to get the 22e to 65s ramp open?  Would that not be a big help?

In a perfect world, yes it would.  But the rebuild of SB I-65 is nowhere near being complete.  Remember, we're talking about Alabama, where any and all highway construction makes no sense whatsoever.

Tourian

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/03/interstate_22_interchange_on_t.html#incart_river

Late August they say...but that doesn't include the paving of the last section up to the interchange.

Charles2

Quote from: Tourian on March 26, 2015, 04:12:31 PM
http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/03/interstate_22_interchange_on_t.html#incart_river

Late August they say...but that doesn't include the paving of the last section up to the interchange.

Late August...but they didn't say what year!   :-D

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Charles2 on March 26, 2015, 10:54:54 PM

Late August...but they didn't say what year!   :-D
Late August of 2064. :spin:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

codyg1985

At least the paving part should be a straightforward piece compared to the behemoth that has been the interchange. I am optimistic that they will finish paving by the end of the year, since they don't have to place a very long stretch of pavement.
Cody Goodman

cjk374

I'll be headed to Huntsville tomorrow to see this major interchange work for myself.  Is the construction zone a booger to deal with?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

codyg1985

Quote from: cjk374 on March 27, 2015, 12:20:09 PM
I'll be headed to Huntsville tomorrow to see this major interchange work for myself.  Is the construction zone a booger to deal with?

It depends on the weekend. This weekend, there will be double lane closures southbound on I-65 between 5 AM and 8 AM on Saturday related to the I-22 interchange construction: http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/03/heavy_delays_double_lane_closu.html#incart_river

I wished I was in town (I live in Huntsville) so that we could meet up, but, alas, maybe another time. :)
Cody Goodman

Henry

I read that US 31, the road that runs parallel to I-65, is also under construction, so there's double-jeopardy in that area. There ought to be a better alternative to these two roads close by...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cjk374

Quote from: codyg1985 on March 27, 2015, 01:35:58 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on March 27, 2015, 12:20:09 PM

It depends on the weekend. This weekend, there will be double lane closures southbound on I-65 between 5 AM and 8 AM on Saturday related to the I-22 interchange construction: http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/03/heavy_delays_double_lane_closu.html#incart_river

I wished I was in town (I live in Huntsville) so that we could meet up, but, alas, maybe another time. :)

Another time indeed Cody.  :cheers:

Crews will cut out sections of damaged pavement and pouring new concrete, which requires enough time to settle and dry properly, according to ALDOT. The work will be done as weather cooperates.

The lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday.

In Louisiana's and Arkansas' construction spec books, no one is to drive on newly poured slabs for 7 days for concrete curing.  Is AL using a quicker curing concrete or is this in their spec book?  :hmmm:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

codyg1985

I am not sure what exactly they use, but I suspect they add a type of cement that reacts quicker as well as an admixture that speeds up the curing time. I have seen this done in a few areas where concrete has been placed. The side effect of it is that there may be shrinkage cracking due to the speed of the reaction (and the heat generated by it).
Cody Goodman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.