News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATLRedSoxFan

If they decommission US 78, just wait until I-22 is completed to I-65. Or, just let it co-exist to Memphis. What's the harm, and offers clarity to travelers past I-269. It's not like Tennessee's ever had a problem multiplexing anything before. I could see the rational if I-22 was completed or followed US 78 entirely, but doesn't and never will.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on October 25, 2015, 02:02:27 AM
If they decommission US 78, just wait until I-22 is completed to I-65. Or, just let it co-exist to Memphis. What's the harm, and offers clarity to travelers past I-269. It's not like Tennessee's ever had a problem multiplexing anything before. I could see the rational if I-22 was completed or followed US 78 entirely, but doesn't and never will.

US 78 in Tennessee is an expressway with at grade intersections, not anywhere near interstate standards.  Thus cannot go concurrently into Memphis.

ATLRedSoxFan

I-22 will end at I-269. Let US 78 run concurrent with I-22 to I-269. Then let US 78 continue as it is past I-269 into Memphis as US 78. Other states have adopted this. Ohio and Tennessee readily come to mind.

noelbotevera

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on October 25, 2015, 10:12:11 PM
I-22 will end at I-269. Let US 78 run concurrent with I-22 to I-269. Then let US 78 continue as it is past I-269 into Memphis as US 78. Other states have adopted this. Ohio and Tennessee readily come to mind.
Truncate US 78 to I-65 or US 31. US 278 can take its place, or become TN 78.

The Ghostbuster

US 278 goes to western Arkansas, so I don't think that's an option. I'd have Interstate 22 go all the way to the end of the freeway at the state line if I had my way.

ATLRedSoxFan

noelbotevera

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 26, 2015, 02:11:35 PM
US 278 goes to western Arkansas, so I don't think that's an option. I'd have Interstate 22 go all the way to the end of the freeway at the state line if I had my way.
What I mean is that US 278 still goes to its same terminus, it will just be moved to cover US 78's routing in Tennessee.

ATLRedSoxFan

Maybe it's just me, but I fail to understand the logic and obsession in truncating perfectly useful US routes. Just because a Interstate shield is installed. I-22 does not go to Memphis. US 78 does. I-22 will end at I-269, or possibly loop around and terminate at I-55/69. If I-22 were to continue along US 78(which isn't going to happen for quite sometime, if at all), I could see the point. Locals know it as Hwy.78. And it continues into Memphis. All changing numbers does is offer a source of confusion. Leaving it does not.This case, a waste of money. If Georgia and South Carolina felt that way, US 78 would have been long gone.If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But, that's just me.

SteveG1988

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on October 26, 2015, 11:13:43 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I fail to understand the logic and obsession in truncating perfectly useful US routes. Just because a Interstate shield is installed. I-22 does not go to Memphis. US 78 does. I-22 will end at I-269, or possibly loop around and terminate at I-55/69. If I-22 were to continue along US 78(which isn't going to happen for quite sometime, if at all), I could see the point. Locals know it as Hwy.78. And it continues into Memphis. All changing numbers does is offer a source of confusion. Leaving it does not.This case, a waste of money. If Georgia and South Carolina felt that way, US 78 would have been long gone.If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But, that's just me.

Well, why isn't US66 around, US66 was removed due to the interstate highway system replacing it entirely.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

ATLRedSoxFan

Having just driven I-40 from OK to AZ, I can tell you communities are realizing it was a huge mistake, and could have been handled differently. A mistake from the past, different day and time. Yeah, US 66 was decommissioned, but at least OK, TX, NM and AZ are trying to bring it back in some form as is CA. Also, kind of "apples to oranges" as US 66 was replaced in it's entirety by Interstate hwy, whereas US 78 has not. Just sayin'.

codyg1985

As of this weekend, there aren't any I-22 shields between Fulton and Tupelo or between Byhalia and Olive Branch.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

SteveG1988

It is kind of funny if you think about it.

Interstate 22 and US 78 are extremely similar with US 22 and Interstate 78.... a interstate replacing large swaths of the original road, being overlaid right on it at points. Lengths are similar, I22 is longer than I78, US22 is longer than US 78 but it is within 200 miles.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Henry

Quote from: SteveG1988 on October 27, 2015, 10:53:43 AM
It is kind of funny if you think about it.

Interstate 22 and US 78 are extremely similar with US 22 and Interstate 78.... a interstate replacing large swaths of the original road, being overlaid right on it at points. Lengths are similar, I22 is longer than I78, US22 is longer than US 78 but it is within 200 miles.
That's a neat coincidence indeed, and both 22 and 78 add up to 100.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

Well if both US and Interstate highways made a perfect grid, their opposite numbering would always create a sum of 100 in the same corridor.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Tourian

Quote from: Charles2 on October 23, 2015, 09:15:54 PM
Unless MsDOT returns US 78 to what is now MS-178, why should it exist?  Same thing in Alabama.  Unless 78 is returned to AL-118 and AL-5, it might as well be truncated in downtown Birmingham, either at the junction with US-11 or with US-31/280.

I'm not a fan of truncating US routes that have been supplanted by interstate routes, but as it stands now, US 78 between Memphis and Birmingham is just about useless.

Some people aren't as in to this as the people on this board. If all they did was add the signs, there'd be people out there who would suspect that is ALL they did. The general public needs to see something new and improved replace something old for it to have been worth all the construction and money spent. Plus, the route has changed in some ways, so it is indeed a new route worthy of a new name even if it does the same job as the old one.

SteveG1988

US78 inside memphis: Business 22.
Roads Clinched

msunat97

Anyone have any updates on the I-22 / I-65 interchange or Coalburg Road paving?

jdb1234

Quote from: msunat97 on October 30, 2015, 09:01:00 AM

In regards to Coalburg Road, it was 5 lanes from Daniel Payne Drive to I-22 when I was out there in July. 

WashuOtaku

Quote from: SteveG1988 on October 29, 2015, 07:59:42 PM
US78 inside memphis: Business 22.

Let's pretend you didn't say that.   :-/

MikeTheActuary

US 41

I think Mississippi should just reroute US 78 back onto its old alignment (MS 178) west of Fulton and have I-22 end at the TN/MS border.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

froggie

Approving that would be in direct violation of AASHTO's own US route policies.  Specifically:

4. No additional road shall be added to the U.S. numbered road system, and no existing U.S. road shall be extended except where there is a definite showing of an adequately improved highway carrying an established and necessary line of interstate traffic not otherwise provided for by existing U.S. routes and for which traffic adequate service cannot be provided by State route numbers.

And if the businesses along MS 178 push it:

10.  Any proposal that would exploit the prestige of the U.S. numbered highway system to direct traffic over routes that are not the shortest and best available between major control points on the system, especially when it appears to be for the purpose of benefiting businesses located along such a proposed route, shall constitute reason for denying any application to make such an addition to the system.

There's also this (MS 178 is not up to standard):

14. No route should be considered for i nclusion in the U.S. numbered system that does not substantially meet the current AASHTO design standards.

Now, had MDOT kept US 78 on its original alignment while they built the CorridorX freeway, they'd be allowed to keep it there.  But the moment they rerouted US 78 along the new Corridor X, it ended (from a policy perspective) any possibility of putting it back.

US 41

Quote from: froggie on October 31, 2015, 12:31:27 PM
Approving that would be in direct violation of AASHTO's own US route policies.  Specifically:

4. No additional road shall be added to the U.S. numbered road system, and no existing U.S. road shall be extended except where there is a definite showing of an adequately improved highway carrying an established and necessary line of interstate traffic not otherwise provided for by existing U.S. routes and for which traffic adequate service cannot be provided by State route numbers.

And if the businesses along MS 178 push it:

10.  Any proposal that would exploit the prestige of the U.S. numbered highway system to direct traffic over routes that are not the shortest and best available between major control points on the system, especially when it appears to be for the purpose of benefiting businesses located along such a proposed route, shall constitute reason for denying any application to make such an addition to the system.

There's also this (MS 178 is not up to standard):

14. No route should be considered for i nclusion in the U.S. numbered system that does not substantially meet the current AASHTO design standards.

Now, had MDOT kept US 78 on its original alignment while they built the CorridorX freeway, they'd be allowed to keep it there.  But the moment they rerouted US 78 along the new Corridor X, it ended (from a policy perspective) any possibility of putting it back.

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if Mississippi did it anyways?
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

froggie

Ala NC (117) or OK (377)?  Not much.  It's all in good faith, but in being a part of AASHTO, the state DOTs make the faith commitment to follow the decisions made.

codyg1985

Quote from: msunat97 on October 30, 2015, 09:01:00 AM

Here are some updated pictures from the I-22/65 construction. It actually looks like they are getting closer each day.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.